2015 Courses on Baltimore History and
Community College of Baltimore County
Roland Park Country School --Kaleidoscope Program
Hopkins University -- Odyssey Program
Notre Dame of Maryland University - Renaissance Institute
For course offerings, click on the tab to the left: Spring / Fall Courses
Baltimore City Historical Society: 2015 Baltimore History Evenings
Third Thursday of every
month from January to June at 7:30 p.m. in the Village Learning Center, 2521 St. Paul Street -- The lecture
series is free and open to the public.
For more information, visit
Cockeysville Senior Center - Baltimore
Monday, April 13th at
10:30 a.m. Join Baltimore historian and educator Wayne R. Schaumburg for an illustrated talk on Waterfront
Baltimore and Its Historic Communities. The program will trace the history of the port of Baltimore and look
at communities that have developed along the harbor: Fell's Point, Federal Hill, Locust Point and Canton. The
program is free and open to the public. Cockeysville Senior Center is located at 10535 York Road just
north of Warren Road. For more information, call 410-887-7694.
The famous Patterson Park Observatory
will re-open on Sunday, April 19th. Designed by Charles H. Latrobe and completed in 1891, the "Pagoda" is one of the best
known landmarks in the park. This octagonal Victorian structure has a spiral staircase that leads to three levels,
each providing great views of the city. The Pagoda will be open Sundays
through October from noon to 6 p.m. Operated, maintained, and staffed by The Friends of
Patterson Park, the Pagoda is free and open to the public.
Homewood Museum Symposium -- From Fell's Point to Homewood Farm:
Perspectives on Slavery in Baltimore
Sunday April 19th from 1-5 p.m.
This program will explore the lives of enslaved people who made possible the lifestyle enjoyed by the prominent Carroll
family of Homewood during the first quarter of the 19th century. A country estate and 130-acre farm, Homewood was home
to approximately twenty slaves who worked the house and labored in the fields. The presenters for the symposium will
look as various aspects of slavery in Baltimore. The speakers include Dr. Philip Morgan and Dr. Harry C. Black from Johns Hopkins University; Abby Schreiber from Towson University; and Dr. Karsonya Whitehead
from Loyola University of Maryland. The program is free and open to the public. However, reservations are
required as seating is limited. For more information and reservations call 410-516-5589 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Guests are invited to tour Homewood Museum before
the symposium from noon to 1 p.m. Homewood Museum is located at 3400 N. Charles Street on the campus of Johns Hopkins
Baltimore Heritage Walking Tour
Fell's Point as Boomtown, Sunday,
March 29th from 1-3 p.m. -- $ -- In the years leading up the Revolutionary War and
thereafter, Fell’s Point was a bustling port on the Chesapeake Bay with a naturally deep harbor and residents eager
to get rich and grow their town. Join Dr. Edward Papenfuse, retired State Archivist and historian, for a walking tour
of Fell’s Point to learn about the people and places that were at the heart of Baltimore’s early years.
For more information and reservations, call 410-332-9992 or visit email@example.com. This tour is part of the 250th anniversary of the Robert Long House (See the photos at the
beginning and end of this website).
Senior Center -- Baltimore History Talk
Friday, April 17th at
1 p.m. Join Baltimore historian and educator Wayne R. Schaumburg for an illustrated talk on Baltimore's Architectural
Heritage: A Dozen Outstanding Landmarks. The program will focus on the great variety of architecture that
can be found in the city. Some of the landmarks we will look at include Homewood Mansion, the Basilica, the Shot Tower,
City Hall, Druid Hill Conservatory, Peabody Institute, Temple Oheb Shalom, and others. The program is free and
open to the public. Pikesville Senior Center is located at 1301 Reisterstown Road. For more information,
City Hall -- "It's More Than History" -- Brown
Bag Lunch Series
Fridays, noon to 1 p.m. in the Board of Estimates
Room at City Hall located at 100 Holliday Street -- The programs are free and open to the public, and participants are
invited to bring their lunch to the program. Please note the participants will need a vaild ID to enter City Hall.
- Friday, March 20th -- Hazel Gresham as "The Other Rosie
the Riveter." Commemorating the 70th year since the end of World War II, actress Rhonda Robinson will bring to
life the stories of the African American and women workers at Baltimore’s Martin Aircraft Company. The story focuses
on Hazel Gresham, a real life “Rosie the Riveter” who worked at Martin’s Canton factory in its Colored
Division. Historical documents, photos, and the performance of songs help shed light on this fascinating piece of Baltimore’s
industrial and social history.
Preservation Society: Robert Long
Join the Preservation
Society of Fell's Point as it celebrates one of its most historic landmarks. The Robert Long House, Baltimore's oldest
urban residence, has been standing at 812 South Ann Street since 1765. (See the January 18th Baltimore Sun
article by Andrea F. Siegel.)
celebrate its 250th anniversary, the Preservation Society is planning a series events this year that began with a reception
on January 22nd. A series of free lectures, beginning in March, will take place in
the Lucretia Fisher Visitor Center located at 1724 Thames Street in Fell's Point. All programs begin at 7 p.m. with a reception
to follow. For more information, call 410-675-6750.
Maryland Historical Society Exhibit: Images of a Vanished Baltimore
Through February --
$ -- Jacob Glushakow painted scenes of everyday Baltimore: the harbor, city markets, and most importantly
the vanishing landscape of the city. A graduate of City College in 1933, he served in World War II. Afterward he
attended the Maryland Institute of Art. Over the course of his life he sketched and painted over 1,000 works.
The exhibit: "Images of a Vanished Baltimore: The Art of Jacob Glushakow" runs through February.
The Maryland Historical Society is located at 201 West Monument Street. For more information, call 410-685-3750.
Enoch Pratt Free Library -- Programs
- Saturday, April 25th, 11 a.m. -- Authors Sally Johnston
and Lois Zanow will present an illustrated talk based on their book, Monuments to Heaven: Baltimore's Historic Houses
of Worship. The program is free and open to the public. The Roland Park Branch is located at 5108 Roland
Avenue just south of Deepdene Road. For more information, call 410-396-6099.
Irish Railroad Workers Museum - Walking
Wednesday, March 25th from
10:30 a.m. to noon -- Judge Tom Ward will present the West Baltimore neighborhood which welcomed
our ancestors who survived the Great Hunger. They thrived on its modest streets, where they established homes, earned a decent
living, educated their children and worshipped freely. The tour includes visits to the Irish Railroad Workers Museum,
the former site of St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church, the Hollins Street Market, and others. The tour begins
in the parking lot of the B&O Railroad Museum located at West Pratt and Poppleton Streets and is free and open to
the public, but donations to the museum are always welcomed. For more information and reservations, call 410-347-4747
or visit www.irishshrine.org
Early Women Architects of Maryland Exhibit
Thursday, March 19th, 5:30 p.m. at Morgan State University School of Architecture
and Planning -- 1888 marked the first year a woman became
a licensed architect in the United States. Although women architects have been practicing in the United States from for more
than one hundred and thirty years, they lack a prominent presence in history books, popular culture, or even in a
day architect’s common knowledge.
The Early Women Architects of Maryland
Exhibit delves into the history of the remarkable women who, despite all odds against them, became the early practicing architects
in the state of Maryland. Who were they? Where did they study? Where did they go on to practice? These women paved the way
for future women architects, designers, and even working professionals as a whole. Join
us in a Open Gallery and Presentation telling the story of these remarkable women who practiced from the 1920s to the 1960s.
the School of Architecture and Planning is located at 5201 Perring Parkway opposite Ingram Road. For more information,
Spangled Banner Flag House -- Book Talk
March 28th, 1 p.m. - $ - Authors Sally Johnston and Pat Pilling will discuss
their new book, Mary Young Pickersgill Flag Maker of The Star-Spangled Banner. The Flag House is located at
844 East Pratt Street next door to the Reginald Lewis African American Museum. For more information, call 410-837-1793.
Friends of Druid Hill Park -- Historic Walking Tour
Sunday, March 29th, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. $ Join the Friends
of Druid Hill Park on our Historic Walking Tour of Druid Hill Park. This major urban park of 745 acres is one of the oldest
urban parks in the country and a direct result of the early American Public Parks Movement. Only Central Park in New York
City, 1858, and Fairmont Park in Philadelphia, 1859, pre-date Druid Hill Park. Learn about the Boat Lake where generations
of Baltimoreans skated and boated, walk the Grand Promenade and see the location of the Moorish Bandstand, hear about the
Mansion House, the last original remaining structure in the park and the Maryland House, built for the 1876 Centennial Exhibition
in Philadelphia and moved to Druid Hill Park. Visit the Rogers' Family Cemetery, final resting place of Revolutionary War
hero Nicholas Rogers. Learn how monuments to William Wallace, Christopher Columbus, George Washington, and Richard Wagner
found their way to the park. Visit Druid Lake’s National Engineering Landmark earthen dam, and the formerly segregated
swimming pool and tennis courts. Check out the views from the Moorish Tower. Tours begin at the Howard P Rawlings Conservatory
located at the Gwynns Falls entrance to Druid Hill Park. Please note that
this tour includes significant walking.
Heritage -- Spring Walking Tours: Baltimore By Foot
Discover the rich history and culture of several Baltimore neighborhoods by joining
the spring walking tours. $ Space is limited and reservations are required. Contact Baltimore Heritage
at 410-332-9992 or visit www.baltimoreheritage.org.
- Saturday, April 18th, from
10 a.m. to noon -- Lafayette Square By Foot -- Explore one of the grand residential squares of west Baltimore with Arlene
Fisher and David Gleason.
- Saturday, April 25th, from 10 a.m. to noon -- Mt. Washington By Foot
-- Summer Retreat to Neighborhood Village -- Explore a mill town that became a popular summer retreat by the 1870s with
- Saturday, May 2nd, from 10 a.m. to noon
-- Hampden -- From Cotton Duck to Duck Confit -- Explore 100 years of history with Nathan Dennies.
- Saturday, May 9th, from 10 a.m. to noon -- Highlandtown -- Immigration and Enterprise -- Founded in 1866 outside
the city limits largely by Germans, Kari Snyder will explore the rich history and current happenings in this well known Baltimore
- Saturday, May 16th, from
10 a.m. to noon -- Pigtown -- Railroads, Renewal and Dollar Houses -- Brandy Tomhave will tell the story of this diverse
and historic neighborhood that dates to the 1830s and the beginnings of the B&O Railroad.
Friends of the Perry Hall
Library -- Local History Talks
Wednesday, June 10th at
7 p.m. -- Jeff Korman, former director of the Maryland Department at Pratt Central Library, will present a talk
on Baltimore history.
All three talks are free and open to the public. The Perry Hall Branch of Baltimore
County Public Library is located at 9685 Honeygo Boulevard. For more information, call 410-887-5195.
Walters Art Museum: Exhibits
Through April, 2016 -- From
Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story brings together for the first time an extraordinary
group of art and artifacts to illustrate the intriguing stories behind the magnificent gift to the City from the Walters family.
The exhibit includes 200 works of art along with numerous photographs of the family. The exhibit is free
and open to the public during regular museum hours. Walters Art Museum is located at Charles and Centre Streets, one
block south of the Washington Monument. For more information, call 410-547-9000.
- Rinehart's Studio: Rough
Stone to Living Marble -- March 29 through August 30th -- This
new exhibit explores the workshop of 19th century sculptor William Henry Rinehart who was born in Carroll County and is buried
in Green Mount Cemetery. Today the Walters Art Museum contains an extensive collection of Rinehart's works including
"portrait sculptures" of Walters family members.
The Walters Art Museum is located at 600 North Charles Street. Hours
are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Wednesday through Sunday (through 9 p.m. on Thursdays). Admission to the museum, is
free. For more information, call 410 - 547-9000. Contact the museum for special guided tours
of these two exhibits on selected Sundays each month from 1-2 p.m.
B&O Railroad Museum Exhibit -- The War Came By
Grand Opening Weekend:
Saturday, April 18th and Sunday, April 19th $ 2015 marks the final year of the Civil War sesquicentennial ending with the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln
and his funeral train through the heart of the Union States. The first stop on the mournful journey was the Baltimore &
Ohio Railroad Camden Station in Baltimore City. This weekend only see the reenactment of Lincoln's funeral with an exact replica
of Lincoln's coffin, period music, and military and civilian re-enactors. A Civil War locomotive decorated as Lincoln's funeral
train and special exhibits about Lincoln's funeral train and life after the War will be highlighted in this final segment
of the 5-year exhibit which will run through the remainder of 2015. The B&O Railroad Museum is located at 901
West Pratt Street. For more information, call 410-752-2490.
Homewood Museum Exhibit -- Making
a Museum, The Peale Family in Early Baltimore
Through May 31st -- $ -- Charles Willson Peale, his sons, nieces and
nephew were artists and naturalists whose portraits, miniatures, still lifes and silhouettes provide an eloquent and detailed
chronicle of the most notable people and events of the republic’s early history. In addition to a selection of the family’s
Baltimore-related artwork, the exhibit explores the history of the landmark museum and portrait gallery opened in Baltimore
by Rembrandt Peale in 1814. Located on Holliday Street just north of City Hall, the Peale Museum is poised
to reopen after restoration as the Peale Center for Baltimore History and Architecture.
Homewood Museum is located at 3400 North Charles Street on the campus of Johns Hopkins
University. For more information, call 410-516-5589.
War of 1812 Bicentennial
to celebrate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. To learn more about Baltimore and the war visit www.starspangled200.org.
Other links to explore:
- Star-Spangled Banner
National Historic Trail
- Baltimore National Heritage Area
- Eastern Shore 1812 Consortium
- Fort McHenry
- Star-Spangled Banner Flag House
- Maryland Historical Society
- www.upperbay1812.com - Covers the upper Chesapeake Bay region in the war; includes timeline, notable people, sites
of interest, and bicentennial events
- www.1812music.org - created by Dr. David Hildebrand and the colonial Music Institute; includes music from the
period of the war
- www.starspangledtrail.net - excellent site that ties in with the Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Society - War of 1812 Exhibit -Through June, 2015 $ Entitled In Full Glory Reflected: Maryland During
the War of 1812, this exhibit retells the dramatic story of the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake region through displays,
a gallery devoted to the defenders of Baltimore, and more than 100 artifacts including the original Star-Spangled
Banner manuscript. The Maryland Historical Society is located at 201 West Monument Street just west of Park Avenue.
For more information, call 410-685-3750.
Star-Spangled Banner Flag House
of Flagmakers: The Women Who Created the Star-Spangled Banner" tells the story of Mary Pickersgill, the woman
who created the Star-Spangled Banner, her family and her household. It is the first exhibit in history to focus on this
exceptional woman's life and her incredible achievement: the creation of the flag that inspired our American National
Anthem. The exhibit invites visitors to experience different aspects of Mary's life and the events surrounding the
creation of the famous flag. It will feature many one-of-a-kind objects
from the Flag House collection: the original receipt for the Star-Spangled
Banner, on display for the first time in decades; the Lightner drum, carried by drummer boy Henry Lightner, who sounded the
alarm when the British attacked Fort McHenry; and original fragments of the Star-Spangled Banner, cut from the awe-inspiring
30 x 42 foot flag. The Flag House is located at 844 East Pratt Street. $ For more information, call 410-837-1793.
Baltimore City Historical Society Annual Meeting
Saturday, June 20th 10 a.m. at Robert E. Lee Park
Pavilion #2 located at 1000 Lakeside Drive. The meeting which includes the election of new officers will be followed
by a guided history walk through the Lake Roland historic district. The program is free and open to the public.
For more information, call 410-685-3750, ext 379.
War of 1812: Interpretive Resources
Cam and War of 1812 Interactive Battlefield Maps were designed to promote, educate, and inform a wide
audience about Francis Scott Key, significant War of 1812 battles in the Chesapeake region and the upcoming 200th anniversary
of the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner.
KeyCam.com, has four web cams that are fixed on Fort McHenry in Baltimore and is designed to give the same view that 200 years
ago inspired Francis Scott Key to write the words to what would later become our National Anthem.
The War of 1812 Interactive Battlefield Maps, www.1812battles.com, feature cutting-edge maps that through animation highlight four significant battles of the War of 1812 in the
Chesapeake: the Battle of St. Leonard Creek, the Battle of Bladensburg, the Battle of North Point and the Battle of Baltimore.
Each map provides an historical context of the battle, along with images, artwork, and video highlighting the history of
each battle. Users can experience the battles in the Chesapeake Bay landscape as it was during the War of 1812 or toggle
to the modern landscape of 2014.
Civil War Sesquicentennial
- B&O Railroad Museum
- Civil War Exhibit - $ The War Came By Train is a four year exhibit celebrating the role of the B&O Railroad in the Civil War. It includes
the largest collection of Civil War railroad equipment in the world along with significant military and personal artifacts.
The final segment, "1865" will deal with the Lincoln assassination and opens on the weekend of April 18th. For more information,
call 410-752-2490. The B&O Museum is located at 901 W. Pratt Street.
- Maryland Historical
Society: Civil War Exhibit - Divided Voices: Maryland in the Civil War commemorates the 150th anniversary of the beginning
of the Civil War. $ The largest Civil War exhibit in the museum's 167-year history will
tell the story of the conflict in three parts: the romantic war, the real war, and the long reunion. The Maryland
Historical Society is located at 201 W. Monument Street just west of Park Avenue. For more information, call 410-685-3750
or visit www.mdhs.org.
- Baltimore Civil War Museum - Located in the old President Street Station that was built in the 1850s,
the museum tells the story of Baltimore's role in the Civil War. The museum is free and open to the public
from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Monday to Saturday, and from noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays. The museum is located at 601 South
President Street. For more information, call 443-220-0290.
Green Mount Cemetery
The next set of walking tours through historic Green Mount Cemetery will take place on Saturday
May 9th, 16th, 23rd, and June 6th - $ - Opened in 1839 as the city's first urban-rural cemetery, Green Mount
is the final resting place of Johns Hopkins, Enoch Pratt, William and Henry Walters, Mary Elizabeth Garrett, Theodore
McKeldin, John Wilkes Booth, Betsy Patterson, Walter Lord, and other famous Marylanders. Tours begin at 9:30 a.m. from
the main gate located at Greenmount Avenue and East Oliver Street, and are led by Baltimore historian Wayne R. Schaumburg.
Reservations are required. For more information on the tours, call 410-256-2180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Books on Baltimore History and Architecture for 2015
Teresa Mayer, Ancestors
of Worthy Life: Plantation Slavery and Black Heritage at Mount Clare
Dan Connolly, 100 Things Oriole
Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die
Jim Henneman, Baltimore Orioles: 60 Years of Oriole Magic (due out in
Baltimore Museum of Art, The Baltimore Museum of Art: Celebrating a Museum
Douglas Munro, Images of America:
Greater Roland Park
This Week in Baltimore's History:
24th: 1881: Mayor Ferdinand Latrobe approved resolutions to place
drinking fountains at three intersections in the city.
----------------: 1969: Baltimore
Bullets rookie Wes Unseld was named the NBA's Most Valuable Player. The 6-foot-7 center averaged 13 points and 18 rebounds
while leading the Bullets from a last place finish to the Eastern Division title in one year.
1949: Baltimore's old Lexington Market, two blocks long under one roof, burned to the ground.
The heaviest damage was in the part of the market that dated back to 1803. The six-alarm fire involved 24 engine companies,
6 truck companies, 2 high pressure units and 165 firemen. Although the market was a total loss, there were no fatalities
in the blaze.
March 26th: 1847: The
Eutaw Savings Bank was founded. From 1857 to 1887, the bank occupied the building on the southeast corner of Fayette
and Eutaw Streets (later the Baltimore Equitable Society). In 1887, a new building went up directly across the
street. That building closed in 1984, but was later incorporated into the revival of the Hippodrome Theater.
----------------: 1868: Regular steamship service between Bremen, Germany and Baltimore was opened with the
arrival of the Baltimore at Locust Point. The ship was part of the North German Lloyd Line which two
years earlier had agreed to establish regular service between the two cities. From Baltimore, ships carried tobacco,
cotton, and coffee. From Bremen came shiploads of immigrants from the countries of northern and eastern Europe.
Between 1868 and 1900, over 610,000 immigrants arrived in Baltimore, most of them aboard
ships of the North German Lloyd Line.
March 27th: 1958: The
Greater Baltimore Committee presented its plans for the new Charles Center project which would involve the development of
32 acres of the central business district running from Saratoga Street on the north to Lombard Street on the south, and from
Charles Street on the east to Liberty Street and Hopkins Place on the west.
March 28th: 1931: It was announced that the new
addition to Margaret Brent School (#53) at St. Paul and 26th Streets would be ready for the start of the fall term.
29th: 1942: Baltimore was buried under 22 inches of wet snow in the
famous "Palm Sunday Snow Storm." Cars were abandoned and public transportation came to a stop. Rising temperatures
on the day after the storm, however, melted the snow as quickly as it had arrived.
---------------: 1984: "A
date which would live in infamy" for Baltimore football fans. The Colts left town in the middle of a snowstorm as the
Mayflower moving vans departed Owings Mills training complex for Indianapolis.
----------------: 1996: In a phone poll sponsored by the
Baltimore Sun, football fans chose the name "Ravens" for
the city's new NFL team over "Americans" and "Marauders." ------ good choice!
March 30th: 1972: Eleven year-old "Fearless" Morrison
won the national championship in a dribble-and-shoot basketball competition. The four-foot, two-inch boy scored 10 baskets
in 30 seconds.
March 31st: 1783: A group of young men presented "The Siege of
Damascus" to raise
funds for the construction of a bridge over the Jones Falls on Market (now Baltimore) Street.
---------------: 2003: The Orioles weather a freak snow shower
that led to a delay in the middle of the Opening Day game against the Cleveland Indians. The Os went
on to win the game 6-5.
Website updated on 03/24/2015
at 812 South Ann Street near Thames Street in Fell's Point, the Robert Long House is the oldest surviving residence of Baltimore.
The house was completed in 1765 by merchant Robert Long originally from York, Pennsylvania. In addition to the house,
Long also owned a waterfront warehouse on Thames Street. In 1774, he married married Mary Norwood. She
died in 1783, two years after he sold his house to William Travis.
In terms of architecture, the house includes some features not
common to Baltimore houses at that time. The "shed" dormer window on the roof and the "pent roof" between the first
and second floors reflect elements of Pennsylvania architecture.
The brick for the house was hand-made, and laid in the Flemish
bond style. The headers (ends of each brick) were glazed to give the fašade of the house a checkerboard-like pattern,
clearly a different appearance than other brick houses in Baltimore at that time.
After Long left
Baltimore, the building was used for several different purposes. A third floor was added after the Civil War.
See the two black-and-white photos below (1912 and ca. 1930). The Preservation Society of Fell's Point and Federal Hill
acquired the Long House in 1975 and began the restoration work in 1980. Today, the house and adjoining garden are open
to the public. This year the Preservation Society will celebrate the 250th birthday of the house with a series
of events beginning with a party and reception on January 22nd. See the listing above for information about the event.
the article on the Robert Long House in the Real Estate section of the Sunday Sun from January 18th)
CONTINUE TO SCROLL DOWN TO THE
THREE PHOTOGRAPHS BELOW! -- Don't give up, the photos are there!