Word Finder 5.12
A Nice Little Word-Search Program
Word Finder searches a database of words
and lists those that comply
with your search parameters. What can you use it for?
(Note: I created this software some years ago. It will appear rather dated today,
but I hope you'll still find it fun and/or useful.)
Results of the various searches can be saved to disk.
- Crossword / General Search - You provide the letters you
know and some wildcards, Word Finder gives you any possible solutions.
- Jumble - If you like to solve the Jumble puzzle in the
daily paper, this feature will give you that elusive word based on the letters provided.
- Anagram Helper - An anagram is a word or phrase that uses
the same letters as another word or phrase. Anagram Helper asks for a word or sentence
and produces a list of possible words. Then you choose a word from that list and a new, smaller
list emerges. The process is repeated until, hopefully, you've got your anagram!
- Scrabble - If you're not sure whether those mixed up tiles
can produce a word, the Jumble and Anagram Helper features can surely help there, too.
- Approximated Search - If you're not sure how a word is spelled,
this feature can make it easy. Just type in your best guess and the program shows
you words that resemble it. If it doesn't find your word the first time, decrease the
accuracy level and try again. The lower the accuracy, the more words you get.
- Reading Disorders?? - Yes! I'm serious. Someone actually told me he will be using
Word Finder to help people with dyslexia by creating lists of
words with common characteristics. Needless to say, I was quite pleased.
Noteworthy Changes from Previous Versions:
- Ctrl-L can be used to recall last Anagram typed
- Some general improvements have been made
- Fast Forward (to next letter) function is extended to General Search
- Pause When Screen Full can be toggled on/off during search using Ctrl-P
- Easy to edit Anagram input string using Insert and other keys
- Re-use word in Approximate Search without retyping
Includes WordSort utility that does the following:
- Extracts Palindromes (words reading the same backward and forward)
- Creates a list of BackWords: any words that become other words when reversed
- Minimum Length Sort - Creates a file of words of a specified length or longer
Click to Download Word Finder
After unzipping, please read the README file.
Important: You will also need the Word List