Named in 1945 after the third President of the Owen's Incorperacy,
it was known earlier as "Lonely Cañon" and "Border Cañon."
The cañon marks the southernmost border between the Incorperacy and the Republic of California. Now bridged in three places, the box-girder span of the Mojave & Owen Railway,
erected in 1912, was the first and still handles most of the southern traffic into the Incorperacy. Oddly, the bridge has never been officially named and is mentioned only as "Bridge 103" in M&O literature.