From the book
Rails to the Backcountry:
A History of California's Mountain Railways
by Kelly Wong - © Fernway Press, 1982

Appendix B

Alpine Divisions' Equipment Roster

Alpine-West Division -

Equipment used on the Western Alpine Division of the Silverstone and Jade has always been of an unusual design due to the unusual nature of the right-of-way itself. Because of the number and sharpness of curves on the route, cars have always been limited to a maximum of fourteen meters in length (the exception being its lone articulated loco). The dimensions of Burke's Tunnel (at the top of Grand Cañon) put a further size limitation of four meters high and wide.

At the same time, the steep grades along the route (up to a maximum of 7.5% at "The Straightaway") means that motors, brakes and gearing all need to be beefed up. The average Alpine Division car has the motors of one almost twice its size, but geared down to the point that its maximum speed is only seventy-five kim'rs.

(It is this speed limitation that requires Alpine Division trains - while classified as "Throughs" - to use the "Local" tracks on S&J's mainline between L.A. and Silverstone)

When the S&SP obtained the foundering Pasqual and Mount Figueroa Rwy in 1898, it retained the line's equipment numbering scheme as there was no conflict with that of its own rolling stock. When the S&SP and the SGV Rwy merged to form the S&J in 1921, however, all then existent equipment was renumbered to comply with the company's new format - with two exceptions (see below).

Until 1923, when S&J completed the line to the Arrowhead Dam project, the line from Highlands Junction to Mount Figueroa, Camp San Gabriel and Camp Angeles was referred to as the "Mount Figueroa Division." Following 1923, both it and the new Arrowhead line were collectively organized as the "Alpine Divisions" (West and East). In 1945, the new Mount San Jacinto line was added as "Alpine Division - South." However, this line was built to use standard equipment, so rolling stock from it is not listed here, apart from scenic cars 7114-18.

Surprisingly, very few cars have worked both the Western and Eastern lines, in spite of the similar trackage conditions. Only car number 7062 and locomotive 7203 have done so among the still operating stock.

The following breaks up the history of equipment on the line into five eras - The "Pasqual and Mount Figueroa" era, the years of the "Silverstone and San Pedro" and three eras of roughly equal activity of the "Silverstone and Jade." Much about the "Pasqual and Mount Figueroa" era is unknown and the author would appreciate any information on it, along with additional on the later eras.

PASQUAL & MOUNT FIGUEROA 1894-1898
No. Style Type Builder & Date Built Length Weight Pass. Trucks Disposition Remarks
1 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 6.7m (unknown) 32 Single Retired, 1910 Note A, B
2 Open Trailer Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 5.2m (unknown) 16/20 Single Scrapped, 1910 Note B
3 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 6.7m (unknown) 32 Single Scrapped, 1915 Note B
4 Open Trailer Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 5.2m (unknown) 16/20 Single Scrapped, 1912 Note B
5 Open Motor San Pasqual Foundries - 1889 7.1m 7,300 35 Single Became 7050, 1921 Note C
6 Closed Loco Tujunga Loco. Works - 1897 5.7m (unknown) n/a Single Transferred, 1930 Note D
8                 Note E
9 Closed Tank ? - 1896 4.8m 3,300 n/a Single Scrapped, 1908 Note F
10 Closed Baggage ? - 1897 8.0m 3,100 (16) Double Sold, 1921 Note G
- Cab Forward Motor ? - 1892 6.9m 7,100 n/a Single Retired, 1909 Note H
    Flatbed       n/a   Burned, 1924  


Note A - Car No. 1 was retired to S&SP's L.A. storage barn in 1910. In 1942, it was refurbished to be used on special occasions such as the line's anniversary celebrations. One of two cars to retain original numbering.

Car 1 with Trailer 2

Note B - P&MF originally ordered three of these motor/trailer combos from Tujunga Loco in late 1893, but records only show them receiving these two sets (car No. 8 might have possibly been the trailer from the third set). Until the acquisition of No. 10, the rear of each trailer was a luggage rack. While this was replaced by a fifth row of seats in 1897, in practice, this area still tended to be used for luggage.

Note C - Originally built for the San Jose Street Rwy. Acquired from them in 1896 and modified with heavier motors and brakes by Tujunga Loco.

Note D - Ordered from Tujunga Loco in early 1896, but not received until late 1897. Completely rebuilt in 1921 with more powerful motors. Currently, in use as a switcher at the Freeman Plaza yards, but it still makes at least one trip a year to Camp Angeles and back as part of S&J's anniversary celebrations on the line. The other of the two cars to retain original numbering.

Note E - Some records suggest there was a car with this number, but details are lacking. It was probably another trailer car (see Note B above). It did not show up on S&SP records when they acquired the line.

Note F - During the summer of 1895 when the springs on Mt. Figueroa supplying the hotel ran dangerously low, P&MF rebuilt a flatcar (origin unknown) as a tank-car to use to supply water to the hotel. Originally pulled by one of the motors (usually No. 3), it was assigned to No. 6 when that locomotive was acquired in 1897 and later stationed at Mt. Figueroa for use in case of fire along the line. Never used for that purpose, though it did see service with construction crews during the building of the Camp San Gabriel and Camp Angeles extensions. Scrapped following completion of Camp Angeles line.

Car 9 - tank car

Note G - As part of its ill-fated expansion of service in 1897, the P&MF placed this baggage car into service while removing the rear baggage racks on the trailer cars to make room for another row of seats. In practice, it was used very little until after the S&SP bought the line and expanded it to Camp San Gabriel in 1908. Unusual in being the only double-trucked car from the P&MF era, another oddity was that the side luggage racks were convertible into two bench seats capable of carrying sixteen passengers. It is not known if this feature was ever used, but it seems unlikely. The car was sold in 1921 for a nominal sum and converted into a curio shop in Camp Angeles. Currently it is still in use as part of the Angeles Emporium at Camp Angeles.

Car 10

Note H - Essentially a motorized flat car with a small forward cab, for some unknown reason, this piece of equipment was never assigned a number. Employees referred to it as "The Tugboat" because of its distinctive appearance. It was P&MF's first piece of equipment and was used as a work-car in constructing the line. It later did the same during S&SP's Camp San Gabriel & Angeles extensions. Most of the time it operated as the route's track maintenance car and with the addition of a removable tower, it could both string and service overhead as well. Retired in 1909, it was put on display at the Camp Angeles station and burned in the Camp Angeles fire of 1924.

The 'Tugboat'


SILVERSTONE & SAN PEDRO 1899-1921
No. Style Type Builder & Date Built Length Weight Pass. Trucks Disposition Remarks
1 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 6.7m (unknown) 32 Single Retired, 1910  
2 Open Trailer Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 5.2m (unknown) 16/20 Single Scrapped, 1910  
3 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 6.7m (unknown) 32 Single Scrapped, 1915  
4 Open Trailer Tujunga Loco. Works - 1894 5.2m (unknown) 16/20 Single Scrapped, 1912  
5 Open Motor San Pasqual Foundries - 1889 7.1m 7,300 35 Single Became 7050, 1921  
6 Closed Loco Tujunga Loco. Works - 1897 5.7m (unknown) n/a Single Transferred, 1930  
9 Closed Tank ? - 1896 4.8m 3,300 n/a Single Scrapped, 1908  
10 Closed Baggage ? - 1897 8.0m 3,100 (16) Double Sold, 1921  
- Cab Forward Motor ? - 1892 6.9m 7,100 n/a Single Retired, 1909 -
  Flatbed             Burned, 1924  
25 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double Became 7101, 1921 Note A
26 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double Became 7102, 1921 Note A
1501 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1901 10.0m 14,100 48 Double Became 7061, 1921 Note B
1502 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1901 10.0m 14,100 48 Double Became 7062, 1921 Note B
1503 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1905 10.2m 14,250 46/48 Double Became 7063, 1921 Note C
1504 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1909 10.2m 14,250 46/48 Double Became 7064, 1921 Note D
1505 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1915 10.8m 14,720 52 Double Became 7065, 1921 Note E
1510 Closed Loco S&SP Shops - 1903 8.4m 20,900 n/a Double Became 7202, 1921 Note F
1512 Closed Loco S&SP Shops - 1919 9.1m 22,300 n/a Double Became 7203, 1921 Note G
1515 Closed Motor Freeman Railcars - 1895 8.6m 13,400 n/a Double Became 7205, 1921 Note H


Note A - When plans for the extension to Camp San Gabriel were drawn up, it was realized that the line did not have sufficient freight cars to handle increased cargo on the line and S&SP bought these two boxcars. They were then modified for work on the line.

Note B - Traffic had increased enough by 1900 that a larger, double trucked, car was needed. S&SP special ordered these from Tujunga Loco in 1901 and received them three months later. The double trucks gave a much smoother and faster ride and they were roomier as well. They soon became a favorite with the riders.

Note C - Success of Nos. 1501 & 2 encouraged S&SP to order a third car four years later. It was slightly larger than the previous two, the added space used for luggage - which had been a slight problem on the others - and for the addition of a second controller in the "rear." It and 1504, in fact, were the only two pre-S&J "reversable" cars. Car 7063, former 1503

Note D - Ordered to replaced the aging Nos. 1&2. Essentially the same as 1503.

Note E - Replacement for Nos. 3 & 4. Added length allowed another row of seating over 1501-4.

Note F - By 1903, with construction underway to it became obvious that the division's lone locomotive (No. 6) would not be enough motive power for the line - there had already been long delays in getting materials to the construction - so S&SP's shops in Los Angeles built this locomotive, essentially a half-scale "Betty".

Note G - Built by S&SP shops in 1919 to help handle the increased cargo traffic to Camp Angeles. Unusually powerful, it was capable of handling a string of up to twelve cars even up the grade at "The Straightaway".

Note H - Originally built for S&SP'S local Silverstone service, their shops rebuilt it as a maintenance car in 1909 to replace the aging "Tugboat".


SILVERSTONE & JADE 1921-1939
No. Style Type Builder & Date Built Length Weight Pass. Trucks Disposition Remarks
6 Closed Loco Tujunga Loco. Works - 1897 5.7m (unknown) n/a Single Transferred, 1930 Note A
7050 Open Motor San Pasqual Foundries - 1889 7.1m 7,300 35 Single Scrapped, 1924 Note B
7061 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1901 10.0m 14,100 48 Double    
7062 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1901 10.0m 14,100 48 Double Transferred, 1924 Note C
7063 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1905 10.2m 14,250 46/48 Double    
7064 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1909 10.2m 14,250 46/48 Double Transferred, 1923 Note D
7065 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1915 10.8m 14,720 52 Double    
7068 Open Motor S&J Shops - 1935 11.0m 15,100 52 Double   Note E
7070 Observ. Passenger Freeman Railcars - 1931 12.3m 9,350 56 Double   Note F
7071 Parlor Passenger Freeman Railcars - 1931 12.1m 9,350 50 Double   Note F
7101 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double    
7102 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double    
7202 Closed Loco S&J Shops - 1903 8.4m 20,900 n/a Double    
7203 Closed Loco S&J Shops - 1919 9.1m 22,300 n/a Double Transferred, 1923 Note G
7205 Closed Motor Freeman Railcars - 1895 8.6m 13,400 n/a Double    


Note A - Rebuilt in 1921. Transferred to Freeman Plaza Yard for use as a switcher in 1930.

Note B - Actually, there is some controversy about the disposition of this car. It was damaged in the Camp Angeles fire and S&J records quite clearly show it as being scrapped in 1924 as part of the cut-back in service on the Alpine-West Division. But, oddly, shop records at the L.A. storage barn show a No. 7050 as late as 1936. And there is a photograph of the Jade engineering shop, tentatively dated 1938, which shows a car very similar to 7050 (the number is not visible) sitting in the background!

Note C - Transferred to the Alpine-East Division to replace 7064.

Note D - This equipment was transferred to the Alpine-East Division upon its completion in 1923 as part of the cut-back on the Alpine-West. Eight months later, 7064 was involved in a wreck on the "Rim of the World" line, just past Arrow Junction. The motors were salvaged for use in Alpine-East's 7080 and the rest was scrapped.

Note E - In 1935 traffic to the backcountry was rising again, putting a severe strain on the three remaining motors on the line, even with the help of the newly acquired 7070 & 7071 (see Note F). To alleviate this situation, S&J's shops converted retired 1412 (used on the San Fernando line) for use on Alpine-West Division.

Note F - In 1933, as traffic picked up once again on the Alpine-West, S&J needed a way to expand the number of available seats in a hurry. Freeman Railcars had been stuck with a passenger and observation car set that had been built for the Vancouver Island Scenic Railway, which had collapsed before they could accept delivery. The S&J acquired the pair at a substantial discount and used them in combination with loco No. 7202. Originally planned as a stop-gap measure - as the company preferred to use only motored cars on the line - the train proved very popular. They now are used for specials on all three Alpine Division.

Car 7070 in 1950 Car 7071 in 1950

Note G - Transferred to Alpine-East Division.


SILVERSTONE & JADE 1940-1959
No. Style Type Builder & Date Built Length Weight Pass. Trucks Disposition Remarks
7063 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1905 10.2m 14,250 46/48 Double    
7065 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1915 10.8m 14,720 52 Double    
7068 Open Motor S&J Shops - 1935 11.0m 15,100 52 Double    
7069 Open Motor S&J Shops - 1942 11.7m 16,200 54 Double   Note B
7070 Observ. Passenger Freeman Railcars - 1931 12.3m 9,350 56 Double    
7071 Parlor Passenger Freeman Railcars - 1931 12.1m 9,350 50 Double    
7101 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double    
7102 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double    
7103 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double   Note C
7104 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double   Note C
7105 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double   Note C
7106 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double   Note C
7107 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double   Note C
7202 Closed Loco S&J Shops - 1903 8.4m 20,900 n/a Double    
7205 Closed Motor Freeman Railcars - 1895 8.6m 13,400 n/a Double   Note D
7221 Artic. Loco Tujunga Loco. Works - 1949 14.8m 29,700 n/a Triple   Note E


Note A - Sold to Stanislaus Street Lines, Cz.A.

Note B - S&J shop conversion of P.E. No. 1702 (acquired at auction, 1940).

Note C - By 1950, few standard Freight cars were short enough to run on the Alpine-West. Because of this, it was necessary to buy this set of five cars to use specifically on the line.

Note D - Car was completely refurbished in 1948.

Note E - Tujunga Loco's "Mountain Articulated" had proved very successful on the Alpine-East lines, so S&J acquired their sixth for use on the Alpine-West.


SILVERSTONE & JADE 1960-present
No. Style Type Builder & Date Built Length Weight Pass. Trucks Disposition Remarks
7063 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1905 11.5m 15,850 50/52 Double   Note A
7065 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1915 10.8m 14,720 52 Double    
7068 Open Motor S&J Shops - 1935 11.0m 15,100 52 Double    
7069 Open Motor S&J Shops - 1942 11.7m 16,200 54 double    
7070 Observ. Passenger Freeman Railcars - 1931 12.3m 9,350 56 Double    
7071 Parlor Passenger Freeman Railcars - 1931 12.1m 9,350 50 Double    
7072 Open Motor Tujunga Loco. Works - 1965 14.3m 21,300 72 Double   Note B
7101 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double Retired, 1970 Note C
7102 Closed Freight Freeman Railcars - 1901 12.0m 7,800 n/a Double Retired, 1970 Note C
7103 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double    
7104 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double    
7105 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double    
7106 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double    
7107 Closed Freight Tujunga Loco. Works - 1950 14.0m 8,475 n/a Double    
7202 Closed Loco S&J Shops - 1903 8.4m 20,900 n/a Double   Note D
7205 Closed Motor Freeman Railcars - 1895 8.6m 13,400 n/a Double    
7221 Artic. Loco Tujunga Loco. Works - 1949 14.8m 29,700 n/a Triple    


Note A - In 1964, car was refurbished and the body lengthened one-point-five meters. Seating was increased to fifty-two.

Note B - In 1965, S&J ordered the first totally new trolley-car for the line in fifty years. Not only is it the largest of the line's motors, it is also the only one capable of breaking seventy-fife kim'rs (its record is a little over eighty-one kim'rs).

Note C - These cars were retired to storage at the L.A. storage barn.

Note D - Refurbished and outfitted with larger motors, 1971.


Distance & Elevation Chart for Alpine-West Division

Grade Chart Camp Angeles Alpine Hotel Distance Average Grade
Station Type Elevation From Start From Last Station
Highlands Junction Junction 315 meters 0.00 kims -
El Portal Marker 518 meters 4.83 kims 4.2%
Rubio Stop 600 meters 5.93 kims 7.5%
Lookout Point Viewpoint 732 meters 7.86 kims 6.8%
Canon Curve Viewpoint 1024 meters 11.95 kims 7.1%
"The Hairpin" - Start Marker 1219 meters 14.72 kims 7.0%
"The Hairpin" - End Marker 1365 meters 16.85 kims 6.9%
Lookback Station Stop 1356 meters 17.45 kims 1.5%
Crystal Springs Station 1341 meters 17.85 kims 3.8%
"The Straightaway" Marker 1487 meters 19.80 kims 7.5%
Burke's Tunnel Marker 1585 meters 22.40 kims 3.8%
Rimtop Junction Junction 1675 meters 24.95 kims 3.5%
bulletMOUNT FIGUEROAbullet Station 1706 meters 26.55 kims 1.9%
Figueroa Slide Marker 1587 meters 27.70 kims 3.2%
French Curve Bridge Marker 1341 meters 31.05 kims 7.3%
Santa Anita Station Stop 1146 meters 34.55 kims 5.6%
bulletCAMP SAN GABRIELbullet Station 838 meters 40.60 kims 5.1%
Shortcut Ridge Station 1438 meters 49.20 kims 7.0%
Diablo Overlook Viewpoint 1560 meters 54.00 kims 2.5%
bulletCAMP ANGELESbullet Station 1675 meters 60.42 kims 1.8%