Ten Characteristics of Highly Successful Coaches from the US Olympic Committee Coaching Development Office.
2. Profound thinkers who see themselves as educators, not just coaches.
3. Well-educated (formally and informally) in a liberal arts tradition.
4. Long-run commitment to their athletes and their institution.
5. Willing to experiment with new ideas.
6. Value the coach-player relationship, winning aside.
7. Understand and appreciate human nature.
8. Love their sport and work.
9. Honest and strong in character.
10. Human and therefore imperfect.