John Clevenger, the first white settler, came to San Pasqual Valley from Los Gatos in 1872, bringing with him his wife, his father, and five children. He settled in the East end of the valley where the River was known to run nearly year around and he built a small frame house with one room and an attic. Later he constructed an additional room using adobe bricks. In 1880, Clevenger left San Pasqual to settle in Ramona. Shortly after, he sold the San Pasqual place to James Kennedy who, in turn, sold it to A. D. Trussell in 1887. When the Trussells moved in, they added a third room of wooden construction, and occupied all three rooms. The photo above shows [L. to R.] Mary, Ray Jr., Rhodes, Stanley, Wilmer and May Trussell, pregnant with Rebecca and standing in front of the third addition. The photo on the chapter cover shows a view that includes a portion of the original Clevenger home. A third photo from the same day is shown below: [L. to R.] Mary, Stanley,Wilmer, Rhodes and Ray Jr. Both photos were taken in the spring of 1900. Photo below right is of Clevenger home as it now stands on the Charles Judson Ranch where it was moved shortly after 1905 when A. D. Trussell built a new home for Ray and his family.
Photo above is of the Clevenger home as it now stands on the Charles Judson Ranch where it was moved shortly after 1905 when A. D. Trussell built a new home for Ray and his family.