In January 1895, May and Ray, after spending a prosperous three years on the San Pasqual place, had to vacate it. Ray's parents were to live there while they sold it. Ray bought a lot in Escondido near Orange Glen. Undoubtedly he was counting on water from the newly formed Escondido Irrigation District. The District, formed under the Wright Act, signed a contract in June 1894 to construct facilities to divert water from the San Luis Rey River and take it to Escondido. The photo above shows the aqueduct under excavation. The photo below shows a portion of the flume. Unfortunately for Ray, the aqueduct came on line too late to do him much good.