| During missionary times, an outpost with a Chapel was established for the San Pasqual Indians as well as the more formal missions in San Diego and San Luis Rey. The chapel was near the present Indian graveyard, just east of the San Pasqual Union School. By the time the Trussells arrived in the valley the chapel, which was of adobe, had suffered some pretty serious deterioration and the Indians had either died out or left the area and not many remained. Notable among those that did remain were Felicita and Morales two Indians that were befriended by Lizzy Judson Roberts. This photo shows the chapel much like it probably appeared at the time the Trussells arrived. The following story about the San Pasqual Indians is excerpted from the Bud Judson history:
| "The In-ke-pah tribes settled in the San Pasqual and Pamo valleys. Yet another group settled in Rockwood Canyon on the north side of the valley and called themselves the Puk-ke-dudl Tribe. The San Pasqual Indians, the In-ke-pah tribe, called the valley 'mo-culoch-culoch' or 'one stone on top of another'. At one time this tribe occupied the western end of the valley, but in 1875 their village was in the central part of the valley and its northern slopes, where a small adobe chapel was built for services conducted by Mission priests. Father Ubach seemed to be their favorite. The chapel was south of the present San Pasqual School. The Indian Cemetery, located just east of the school, is full and they no longer use it.
January 31, 1870, President U.S. Grant set aside Townships 12 and 13 south, Range 1 east and Townships 12 and 13 south, Range 1 SBM, as the San Pasqual Indian Reservation. ... This amounted to four townships which included Pamo, Santa Maria, Highland, and San Pasqual valleys. (92,160 acres) ... a lot of land.
Naturally, the settlers complained long and loud. ... In 1878 the white settlers convinced the deputy sheriff to destroy the Indian homes in the valley. The Indians moved into the hills north of the valley and eked out a living by raising what food they could and working on ranches for very low wages.
On July 1, 1890, Congress established the present location of the Reservation in Township 11 south, range 1 west SBM. This land is located in Bear Valley, 6 miles north of the land they once occupied in San Pasqual. Massive governmental boondoggling and bureaucracy caused this tragic error. The San Pasqual Indians had never lived on this Bear Valley land because it was considered Shoshonean Territory and they were Yumans."