Home | Marriage as Sacrament | Marriage Requirements | Marriage Dispensations | Pre-Cana | Marriage Considerations | Marriage Situations | Mixed Marriages | Disparity of Cult | Marriage Privileges | "Previous Knot" | Separation & Divorce | Frequently Asked Questions | Facts & Figures | Declaration of Nullity | Growth of Annulments | What is an Annulment? | Reasons for Annulment | Annulment Procedure | Grounds for Annulment | Favorite Links
Marriage Dispensations


Dispensation for mixed marriages / Disparity of worship

Dispensation to be married in a non-Catholic rite which is a dispensation from canonical form

Isn't it great God didn't say if you are a Catholic you can only fall in love with another Catholic. God doesn't prevent Catholics from marrying non-Catholics, but how many parents did?

Before Vatican II if a Catholic wanted to marry a non-Catholic they could be married only by a priest in the Rectory and not inside the Catholic Church. The non-Catholic party would have to sign a form agreeing to raise all their children as Catholics. This caused many couples who were in love to break up.

Thank God for the Vatican II. Now besides procreation, our Church recognizes marriage is for couples mutual enjoyment and sexual satisfaction.
Now a Catholic can be married to a non-Catholic, in a Catholic Church by a priest, a deacon or a minister.

A Catholic can also be married to a non-Catholic by a minister in a non-Catholic Church and by a Rabbi in a separate room at the place of the wedding reception in the Jewish rite, providing they obtain a dispensation from canonical form. A Rabbi will not marry a Christian in a Synagogue.

The non-Catholic does not have to sign any agreement to raise their children Catholic

The Catholic party has to sign a form promising they will raise the children Catholic to the best of their ability. The non-Catholic party must be informed of this agreement.

The Catholic Church makes provisions for mixed marriages but too often the Catholic party isn't aware of them or doesn't take the time to obtain the required dispensations

The Catholic can not get a dispensation to get married by a Judge, a Lawyer, a Justice of the Peace, or a Public Official nor can they get permission to be married in a home, a backyard, a field, a boat, a prison or a palace.

Whenever a Catholic gets married it must be a Church. After obtaining the required dispensations a Catholic can be married in the Jewish rite in a separate room where the reception is being held.
What happens when a Catholic gets married in a non-Catholic rite without first obtaining the required dispensations and neither spouse had any prior marriages?
The Result Is:
- Invalid Catholic marriage
- Valid Civil marriage
- Mortal sin of fornication whenever they have marital / sexual relations
- Can not receive sacraments
- Can / Should continue to attend Mass & pray

To get back to the practice of the Catholic faith
A Catholic Must:
- Have their civil marriage convalidated (Blessed by the Catholic Church)
- Contact priest or deacon for marriage preparation
- Need Baptismal certificate dated within last 6 months
- Third party signed by 2 people (Parents) confirming no prior marriages
- Copy of their marriage license - not registration
- Complete instruction
- Go to confession
- Take a profession of faith if they formally joined another faith
- If one of the spouses is a baptized non-Catholic person, you must obtain a mixed marriage / disparity of worship dispensation ( This can be obtained for the Archdiocese Chancery Office within 3 to 4 weeks )

If either party had any prior marriages, prior to having their marriage convalidated they would have to obtain:
- A Divorce ( for each prior marriage )
- An Annulment for each prior valid marriage
** Applies to both the Catholic and non-Catholic party
** It floor a non-Catholic when they learn they have to obtain a Catholic Annulment when their prior marriage was to a non-Catholic.
- A Catholic must obtain a Declaration of nullity for each prior marriage to a non-Catholic in a non-Catholic rite for which a dispensation from canonical form had not obtained prior to the marriages. ( If this dispensation had been obtained an annulment would be required, because the marriage would have been a valid Catholic Marriage.)

Enter content here

Enter supporting content here

(c) Catholic Marriages 2005