|GERMAN LVG, 1924|
|Captured German LVG|
Luft Verkehrs Gesellschaft (LVG) of Johannisthal began aircraft construction in Germany in 1912, building Farman-type aircraft. It acquired the services of a Swiss, Franz Schneider, whose hand had been evident in the early Nieuport aeroplanes; and his first design for LVG bore a close resemblance to the Nieuport monoplane. Schneider later left the company, and it settled into producing a long and successful series of two-seat reconnaissance and bomber biplanes. These went into quantity production during the 1914-1918 War and served in great numbers. One of the feats accomplished by LVG biplanes was an epic raid on London in 1916 by one LVG, a CII, which dropped bombs near Victoria Station,, but was shot down by French anti-aircraft gunners on its way home.
The idea of synchronizing gear for machine guns was invented by Franz Schneider; chief designer for the German L.V.G. company, who patented his gear in July, 1913. His gear was fitted eventually to the prototype L.V.G. E.VI two-seat monoplane, but this aircraft cashed in 1915 while on its way to the front for operational testing.