Porterdale Mill on the Yellow River
NAMED for: Oliver S. Porter, Mill Owner



Thanks to you for your continued work on the website and for rekindling many happy memories from our communal past. As you may know, my mother, Annie Francis Lee Day, daughter of Robert E. Lee and Dora Albright Lee of Oxford, GA, graduated in 1915 from GNIC, (GSCW) & I believe it is now called simply Georgia College. She taught kindergarten in LaGrange, GA and then decided to become an R.N. Graduated from Grady School of Nursing in Atlanta with an outstanding record. She had a classmate named Louise Funderburke who spent the majority of her life in Miami, FL. She too was an R.N. Annie Lee became the company nurse at "the Bibb" and was working in that capacity when an electrician cut his finger and was sent to the nurse to be treated. He kept coming back, even after the finger was completely healed. James Frank Day (Uncle Frank) and Annie Lee were married and moved into 13 South Broad which was directly across the street (at the bottom of the hill) from the Porter home. The hotel was on your right and there was a warehouse prior to your getting to the bridge over the river. John Day and Aunt Marge, Johnny's parents lived either one house or two houses toward the bridge and I think the teacher's cottage was originally on our side of the street and then moved into a new "Wootlou" building on the other side of the street toward the smaller of the three mills. Osprey was the largest, then the Porterdale, and then the Indian named one. I must apologize as I was born in Atlanta, GA and when I start telling one of my Southern stories, I tend to elaborate far into the night. Let's call this the first installment and end by wishing you and yours a Very Merry Christmas and I truly promise to send you some fairly interesting pictures relating to Porterdale, GA. Thanks again, Frank Day, 2209 Princeton Blvd., Lawrence, Kansas, USA I do remember that the tar on the old bridge did get quite hot in the summertime.

December 26, 2003

Happy New Year from Kansas. Would you please add my father to the list of Bibb employees. He was an electrician. He suffered most of his life due to an electrical explosion in Osprey Mill, but kept working until his retirement. Forgot to mention - He was called "Uncle" Frank Day. One of
his brother's - Oliver Day - was either a foreman or a supervisor who told Dad to go check on a "smoking switch" in Osprey Mill and as he approached, raising his left arm to open the door, it blew up, burning him horribly. There was a woman who had a pair of scissors and she used
the scissors to cut off his burning clothing, which no doubt saved his life. Along with the fact that on the day before the accident most of the heavy equipment in the area had been moved, so he did not suffer any further injuries due to hitting such an immovable object. He spent many weeks in Emory University Hospital and required major skin grafting. We could always tell when it was going to rain, as his left arm would "tighten" and if you thumped it, it sounded like a drum. Am stillcollecting info re "Miss" Annie and will forward as soon as I have organized/find important dates to include in the bio. With warm Kansas regards, (until Sunday - when we are supposed to have snow).

Frank S. Day
January 2, 2004