The Coos Bay Bar was (and is today) very treacherous. Many of the postcards sent by Will and Nelliw showed shipwrecks.
- Steamer Nann Smith, 1910
- S. S. Breakwater:
- at dock, 1910
- with passengers, 1910
- Portland & Coos Bay Steamship Line advertisement, about 1912
- Will Kolm's work as an agent for the Breakwater
- Coos Bay Bar with tugboat and schooner, 1910
- Wreck of the Alert, 1909
- Wreck of the Czarina, 1910. (Story and three photos).
- Wreck of the Marconi, 1910
- Lifesaving crew, Coos Bay, 1909.
- For information about specific ships, see the Tacoma Library Northwest Room's Ships and Shipping Database
- Article in The WorldLink.com "Shipwrecks litter coastal history"
- A Place Called Oregon: Postcards - Ships and Shipwrecks
The area remains treacherous to ships. Read about the New Carissa, a tanker that wrecked off of Coos Bay in February 1999.