Max Aronoff was
violist of the Curtis String Quartet and teacher at the esteemed Curtis
Institute of Music in Philadelphia.
Mr. Aronoff was the first student admitted to Curtis when the school opened
and was in its first graduating class in 1934. While a student, Max Aronoff
studied with Carl Flesch and Louis Bailly, both legendary teachers in their time. Upon
graduation, Mr. Aronoff joined the Curtis faculty, a position he held until
his death. In 1943 Max Aronoff founded the New School of Music. Under his
direction, the New
School developed a fine
reputation as a conservatory, specializing in training orchestral musicians.
During the fifty-two
year performing career of the Curtis String Quartet, Max Aronoff and his
colleagues toured the United States
and Europe. They performed for such
prestigious audiences as the White House and the Queen of England, as well as
on many educational and cultural series in and around Philadelphia. They never stayed away from
their teaching posts at Curtis and New
School for long, and
their dedication to training young musicians was respected throughout the
musical world. For two generations, students of Max Aronoff have been among
the most accomplished violists in professional orchestras, chamber ensembles,
and teaching positions at conservatories and universities throughout the United States.
The Max Aronoff Viola Institute ("MAVI") was founded to honor the
memory of this musical genius and to continue his teaching legacy.