Balance of Power Scenario Chronology
Turn 1 (1650-1680)
- 1643-1715: Reign of Louis XIV
- 1652-54, 1665-67, 1672-74: Anglo-Dutch Naval Wars
- 1658: Oliver Cromwell dies. Stuart Restoration in 1660
- 1659: Peace of the Pyrennes ends war between France and Spain.
- 1667-68: War of Devolution: France vs. Sweden, the Netherlands, England, and Spain
- 1672-78: The Dutch War: France vs. Anglo-Dutch coalition
Turn 2 (1680-1710)
Turn 3 (1710-1740)
- 1681: France annexes Strasbourg
- 1683: Ottoman attack on Vienna fails. Austria and Russia begin taking Turkish land.
- 1685: Revocation of the Edict of Nantes
- 1687: Hungary becomes part of Austria
- 1688-89: Glorious Revolution in England
- 1688-97: War of the League of Augsburg. (King William's War in Americas)
- 1689-1725: Reign of Peter the Great. Military activity in Central Asia and Siberia
- 1694: Voltaire born.
- 1700-21: Great Northern War: Sweden vs. Russian-led coalition. St. Petersburg built
- 1701: Elector of Brandenburg becomes Frederick I, King of Prussia
- 1701-13: War of the Spanish Succession. (Queen Anne's War in Americas)
- 1707: Union of England and Scotland creates Great Britain
Turn 4 (1740-1770)
- 1713: Peace of Utrecht
- 1713: Pragmatic Sanction. Maria Theresa becomes Austrian Empress
- 1715: Attempted Stuart Restoration by James III fails, as does Charles' 1745 attempt
- 1727: Kiakhtu Treaty between Russia and China
- 1731-35: War of the Polish Succession: France vs. Austria and Russia
- 1735-39: Russia reaches Black Sea region after war with the Ottomans
Turn 5 (1770-1800)
- 1740-80: Reign of Maria Theresa
- 1740-86: Reign of Frederick the Great
- 1740-48: War of the Austrian Succession (King George's War in Americas)
- 1741: Bering reaches Alaska. Russian settlements follow in 1791
- 1756-63: Seven Years' War. (French and Indian War). British take Quebec and India.
- 1762-96: Reign of Catherine the Great
- 1768-74 and 1787-92: Russo-Turkish Wars
Turn 6 (1800-1815)
- 1772: 1st Polish Partition. Two more in 1793 and 1795 erase Poland from the map.
- 1774: Russia becomes protector of Orthodox Christians in Balkans
- 1775-83: American Revolution. France, the Netherlands and Spain help colonists.
- 1778-79: War of the Bavarian Succession: Austria vs. Prussia
- 1789: French Revolution begins
- 1792-95: National Convention. French Revolutionary Wars start. Reign of Terror
- 1795-99: Directory rules France. Napoleon in Italy
- 1799: Napoleon becomes First Consul. Crowned Emperor in 1804
- 1805: Austerlitz. Trafalgar
- 1807: France and Russia divide Europe in Treaty of Tilsit. Holy Roman Empire ends
- 1808: Peninsular Campaign begins.
- 1812: Napoleon invades Russia
- 1814: Napoleon exiled to Elba after a series of defeats. Congress of Vienna starts
- 1815: The Hundred Days. Waterloo ends Napoleon's return. Exiled to St. Helena
Balance of Power Scenario Instructions
Balance of Power Scenario Chart
Stratagem Main Page
AGR Title Page