My HOLTON search has led far and wide and not uncovered much solidly proven information, but has led to many family interconnections that seem promising. My HOLTON family appears highly intertwined with the MOTT family, and with HAWKINS, COBB, BECKOM/BECKHAM and BURGAMY families in the 96th District part of Washington County where they all resided.
1. Stephen HOLTON, (b. bet. 1776-1794, d. bef. 1840)
I presume Stephen HOLTON to be the beginnings of my line of HOLTONS. He married Mary ?MOTT?
In 1817, Stephen served in the 18th Regiment of the Georgia Militia, along with Drury HAWKINS. Stephen also appears in the 1820 Census with his wife Mary and their two young sons, and an unidentied older man, 70-80 years of age (his father or hers?)
The family is not found in the 1830 census, but in 1840 Mary is the head of the household and now has 2 daughters. Mary does not appear in the 1850 census.
The proposed children of Stephen and Mary Holton were:
- a son - b. 1810-1815 Washington County, GA
- Henry Holton - see the next section
- a daughter - b 1820-1825 Washington County, GA
- a daugther - b 1835-1840 Washington County, GA
2. Henry HOLTON, (bc. 1815 - d. 1862-1870)
Henry Holton was born about 1815 in North Carolina according to the 1850 Washington County census. I think he and his wife Elizabeth HAWKINS were listed in 1840 in the household of Hiram MOTT. Hiram will later provide a home to this Holton family.
No marriage record for Henry and Elizabeth has been found, but death certificates of their children provide proof of the union. No connection has yet been found between Elizabeth Hawkins Holton and neighbor Drury HAWKINS, who served in the militia with Stephen Holton above.
Henry Holton vanishes from the records before the 1860 census, when Elizabeth and the children are listed in the home of Edward R. Warthen. Elizabeth does have one more child, Jasper Holton born in 1861. I haven't found any reason to believe he isn't Henry's son (no bastardy bonds, court records, etc), but Henry is never heard from again. Though I have searched diligently through Civil War records, I find no evidence of Henry Holton serving either the Confederacy or the Union during the War.
In 1870 Elizabeth and family are again living with Hiram Mott; in 1880 she is with daughter Eliza and her family; and in 1890 she is with daugther Elizabeth and her family.
Elizabeth Hawkins Holton died 11 JUN 1897 and is buried in the cemetery at Mineral Springs Baptist Church in Washington County.
The children of Henry and Elizabeth Holton were:
- Mary Ann Holton - b. 1838-39; she m. Patterson Franklin CHEEK 14 AUG 1856 in Washington County, GA (3 children)
- Eliza Jane Holton - b. 1841-42; she married first Jasper LOVETT (4 children), and 2nd Osborn BECKOM on 17 JAN 1869 in Washington County, GA (children?)
- William H. Holton - b. 1942-43, d. 11 JUN 1902; he married Sarah A. E. CATO 30 OCT 1864 Washington County, GA (4 children)
- Julia Holton - b. 1845, d. 1924; she married Kinchen A. BRIDGES (3 children)
- Emaline Holton - b. 24 MAR 1848 d. 6 OCT 1888; she married Freeman "MOAT", possibly should be MOTT, 18 JUN 1865 Washington County, GA (children?)
- Harriet Holton - b. 8 MAR 1850, d. 8 JUN 1934; she m. John H. YARBROUGH 11 APR 1869 Washington County, GA (11 children)
- Henry Clay Holton - b. 28 JAN 1853, d. 22 AUG 1936; he m. Josephine Artemisa COBB 20 MAR 1874 Washington County, GA (9 children)
- George Washington Holton - see the next section
- Elizabeth T. "Bettie" Holton - b. 1 MAR 1859, d. 15 FEB 1926, m. James Thomas COBB 11 JAN 1875 (8 children)
- Jasper N. "Jap" Holton - b. JUN 1861; he m. Lucy Ann 'Lusanne' BRIDGES 21 JUN 1883 Washington County, GA (8 children)
3. George Washington Holton, (1855 - 1940)
George Washington Holton was born 27 NOV 1855, supposedly in Jefferson County, GA. He first married Lucretia "Cresy" Hattaway on 7 JAN 1877. He was second married to Gracie DOWNS before 1880, and thirdly to Mattie Nora COBB (1864-1935) on 20 DEC 1883 in Washington County, GA.
Nora (Cobb) HOLTON died 21JUN 1935 in Bibb County, GA. George HOLTON died 7 JAN 1940 in Toombs County, GA. They are buried at Pinecrest Cemetery in Vidalia.
The child of George and Cresy Holton was:
The children of George and Nora Holton were:
- John B. Holton - b. 18 APR 1884 d. 27 JUL 1955; he m. Bessie Lou MURPHY about 1908 (5 children)
- William Carlos Holton - b. SEP 1885, d. before 1935
- twin Tom Wiley "White" Holton - b. 18 MAY 1888 d. 1914
- twin Ben Riley "Black" Holton - b. 18 MAY 1888, d. 30 JAN 1980 Fayette County, GA; he m. Claudia GROSS (2 children), and later m. Floye PAGE
- Mae Bell Holton - b. 28 AUG 1891, d. 23 MAY 1950 Toombs County, GA; she m. Jonas V. POWELL c. 1911 (3 children); 2nd m. Joseph Roscoe McQUEEN c. 1917 (5 children)
- Ella Bertha Holton - b. 13 OCT 1895, d. 25 NOV 1963; she m. William Frank NEWSOME c. 1917 (4 children)
- Annie Laura Holton - b. 22 APR 1896, d. 26 MAY 1979 Toombs County, GA; she m. Rufus Lester TODD (3 children)
- Mattie Lena "Matilene" Holton - see next section
- Ruby Rae Holton - b. 9 DEC 1900, d. 1 OCT 1958 Fulton County, GA; she m. Narvis Northern RICKS c. 1918 (3 children)
- Bettie Sue Holton - b. 28 FEB 1904, d. 26 JUN 1982; she m. Marion Homer SATTERFIELD c. 1922 (2 children)
- Hattie Juel Holton - b. 11 AUG 1906, d. 22 JAN 1994; she m. Harvey Lee SMITH (2 children), and 2nd m. Charles Lee McRAE
- Hugh F. Holton - bc. 1909 d. before 1920
- Walter Holton - born and died between 1910 and 1920
4. Mattie Lena "Matilene" Holton, (1898 - 1993)
Matilene Holton was my paternal grandmother. She was named for a Mattie Hattaway of whom I have a picture, but cannot determine if there was a family relationship, or just a neighbor relationship. My grandmother didn't like her given name "Mattie Lena" and combined it to "Matilene".
Matilene Holton was born 25 SEP 1898 in Washington County, GA. She was living in Vidalia, Toombs County in 1920, working as a dry goods clerk.
Matilene married John Estle Gilstrap on August 12, 1920 in Vidalia and had two children.
See the Gilstrap Family pages for more information.
Last Revised: 21 MAR 2012