1. Ansolme Bayley, (c. 1640 - before 1688)
Ansolme Bayley, the oldest known ancestor in this line, was born England about 1640. I have not found an immigration date for him. Ansolme married Elizabeth, perhaps surname WARREN. By 1687 the Bayleys lived in Surry County, VA. Ansolme served as a footman in the Surry Militia at that time.
Ansolme Bailey died before 4 SEP 1688 when Elizabeth Bayley remarried. No will or probate paperwork has been found for Ansolme.
The children of Ansolme and Elizabeth Bayley were:
- John Bailey
- Anselm Bailey, Jr. - see the next section
- Jane Bailey - 1m. John LOTHER 2m. John COLLIERS
- Walter Bailey - m. Mary ETHERIDGE
- Robert Bailey - d. before 18 MAR 1715
- William Bailey
- Elizabeth Bailey
Elizabeth Bayly [sic], relict of Anselm, married James Boyce in 1688. His surname is sometimes found as Boice and Voice. James and Elizabeth Boyce had one daughter: Sarah BOYCE. James Boyce died before 13 DEC 1711. At that time Elizabeth Bailey Boyce married for the third time to Thomas TARVER.
Elizabeth Bayley Tarver is last mentioned in the 1712 will of her son Robert. It is not known when or where she died.
2. Anselm Bailey, Jr. (c. 1672 - 1759)
Anselm Bailey was born in Surry County, VA about 1672. It is not known who he married. He had three known children:
- Benjamin Bailey - see the next section.
- Martha Bailey - m. Joseph HARGRAVE
- Anselm Bailey, III - b. 1709 d. before 21 JAN 1772 m. Mary HARGRAVE .
Anselm Bailey wrote his will in JUL 1754 in Surry County, VA. He died there before 16 OCT 1759.
3. Benjamin Bailey, (17?? - 1785)
No year of birth has been found for Benjamin Bailey. He appears to have married at least twice. First to Faith RUSSELL, and second to Sarah ?LADD?. All of these people were Quakers, and can be found mentioned in the minutes of the Blackwater Monthly Meeting in Surry County, VA.
Benjamin Bailey had twelve children:
- Joseph Bailey - m. Mary STANTON
- Tyral Bailey - m. Martha KITCHEN
- Absalom Bailey - m. Elizabeth HARGRAVE and unknown
- Miriam Bailey - see the next section
- Abidon Bailey - 1m. Mary HARGRAVE 2m. Sarah SEARS 3m. Mourning LADD
- Edmond Bailey - 1m. Elizabeth WOMBLE 2m. Huldah SIMMONS
- Joshua Bailey - m. Patience STANTON
- Mourning Bailey - m. Benjamin RUSSELL
- Rhoda Bailey - m. Charles SADLER
- Martha Bailey - m. John SMITH
- Sarah Bailey - m. James BROCK
- Elijah Bailey - 1m. Lucy BROCK 2m. Jane MAYNER
4. Miriam Bailey, (c. 1737 - ????)
Miriam Bailey was born about 1737 in Virginia and was a Quaker. She married Hartwell HARGRAVE on the 18th day of December in 1755 in Surry County, VA. The Hargraves lived their lives in Surry County. See the HARGRAVE Family Page for more about Hartwell Hargrave's family.