The progenitor of this family, James Allen, was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1754. The NSDAR files show a birth date of 31 AUG 1750, but proof of this date has not been found by me personally, and it does not match up with the information provided in James's obituary.
No information has been found about James's immigration, but he was in Georgia before the American Revolution. James Allen served as a Private in the Georgia Militia during the war, and as mentioned, has been accepted by the NSDAR for membership (Application #369452.)
James received land in and around Washington, Wilkes and Burke Counties, GA. He married Frances SIMMONS (bc 1775 d 5 APR 1857).
James and Frances Allen had at least ten children:
- James P. Allen - b. 1794-1800 m. Maria MULKEY. He died after 1850, possibly in Houston County, GA.
- Jane Allen - b 1790-1794 Burke County, GA mc. 1820 William E. LASSITER. She died after 1851.
- Hugh Allen - b 1797 Burke County, GA m 1817 Elizabeth ROYAL, they moved to Houston County, GA.
- Frances Allen - bc 1800 Burke County, GA. She married Everett SAPP before 1820. Frances died after 1851.
- Mary Allen - b 1804-1810 Burke County, GA. She married Mr. BELL and William BRANTLEY. Mary died after 1851.
- Nancy "Ann" H. Allen - b 1804-1810 Burke County, GA. Nancy married Mr. DUNN and died before 1851.
- Lucretia Allen - b 7 APR 1805 Burke County, GA mc. 1830 Thomas T. ELLISON in Burke County d before DEC 1860 in Lee County, GA. See the Elliston/Ellison/Ellyson Family Page for more information.
- Robert Allen - b 1810-1815 Burke County, GA d. before 1851.
- William Allen - b 1810-1815 Burke County, GA m. Sara Alice WILLIAMS d. after 1851.
- Julia Allen - bc 1820 Burke County, GA m. before 1840 William B. HAWKINSON d. after 1851
James Allen reported in the 1840 Federal Census that he was 84 years old and a Revolutionary War veteran.
James Allen died on 2 MAR 1841 in Burke County, GA. This date of death is incorrectly reported on most NSDAR documents as 1835. However, The Macon, Georgia Telegraph newspaper printed an obituary on 23 MAR 1841. The obituary is brief, but leaves little doubt that it was written for this same James Allen:
DIED: At his residence in Burke County, on the 2d inst., JAMES ALLEN, in the 85th year of his age.
There is disagreement about the burial site of James Allen. Some information lists the Old Church Cemetery on GA Hwy 24, 6 miles from Waynesboro. Others list the Old Sapp Place on GA Hwy 22 near Waynesboro. I have not been able to travel to either location to make any determination of my own. The NSSAR lists the Sapp Place.
Francis (Simmons) Allen died 5 APR 1857 in Burke County, GA. Her obituary was published in The Christian Index on 29 APR 1857:
The will of Frances Allen, called "Fanny", is recorded in Burke County, GA Will Book A Pages 80-81. It is posted on the Internet in the GA GENWEB Archives for Burke County.
Sources: NSDAR Application #369452 and #103587; 1798 Burke County Tax List; 1820 Census Burke County Pg 23; 1830 Census Burke County, Pg 132, 1840 Census Burke County, Pg 142; "Index to Headright and Bounty Land Grants of Georgia" by Lucas; Burke County, GA Will Book A.