THE CHRIST CHILD IN THE HOLY GOSPELS
The Birth and Infancy of Our Lord from the Holy Gospel According to Saint Luke
- And it came to pass, that in those days there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that the whole world should be enrolled.
- This enrolling was first made by Cyrinus, the governor of Syria.
- And all went to be enrolled, every one into his own city.
- And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem: because he was of the house and family of David,
- To be enrolled with Mary his espoused wife, who was with child.
- And it came to pass, that when they were there, her days were accomplished, that she should be delivered.
- And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him up in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
- And there were in the same country shepherds watching, and keeping the night watches over their flock.
- And behold an angel of the Lord stood by them, and the brightness of God shone round about them; and they feared with a great fear.
- And the angel said to them: Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, that shall be to all the people:
- For, this day, is born to you a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord, in the city of David.
- And this shall be a sign unto you. You shall find the infant wrapped in swaddling clothes, and laid in a manger.
- And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God, and saying:
- Glory to God in the highest; and on earth peace to men of good will.
- And it came to pass, after the angels departed from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another: Let us go over to Bethlehem, and let us see this word that is come to pass, which the Lord hath shewed to us.
- And they came with haste; and they found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger.
- And seeing, they understood of the word that had been spoken to them concerning this child.
- And all that heard, wondered; and at those things that were told them by the shepherds.
- But Mary kept all these words, pondering them in her heart.
- And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God, for all the things they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
- And after eight days were accomplished, that the child should be circumcised, his name was called JESUS, which was called by the angel, before he was conceived in the womb.
- And after the days of her purification, according to the law of Moses, were accomplished, they carried him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord:
- As it is written in the law of the Lord: Every male opening the womb shall be called holy to the Lord:
- And to offer a sacrifice, according as it is written in the law of the Lord, a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons:
- And behold there was a man in Jerusalem named Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Ghost was in him.
- And he had received an answer from the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Christ of the Lord.
- And he came by the Spirit into the temple. And when his parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the law,
- He also took him into his arms, and blessed God, and said:
- Now thou dost dismiss thy servant, O Lord, according to thy word in peace;
- Because my eyes have seen thy salvation,
- Which thou hast prepared before the face of all peoples:
- A light to the revelation of the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.
- And his father and mother were wondering at those things which were spoken concerning him.
- And Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary his mother: Behold this child is set for the fall, and for the resurrection of many in Israel, and for a sign which shall be contradicted;
- And thy own soul a sword shall pierce, that, out of many hearts, thoughts may be revealed.
- And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser; she was far advanced in years, and had lived with her husband seven years from her virginity.
- And she was a widow until fourscore and four years; who departed not from the temple, by fastings and prayers serving night and day.
- Now she, at the same hour, coming in, confessed to the Lord; and spoke of him to all that looked for the redemption of Israel.
- And after they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their city Nazareth.
- And the child grew, and waxed strong, full of wisdom; and the grace of God was in him.
+ + + + + + +
The Visit of the Wise Men and Flight into Egypt from the Holy Gospel According to Saint Matthew
- When Jesus therefore was born in Bethlehem of Juda, in the days of king Herod, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem.
- Saying, Where is he that is born king of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the east, and are come to adore him.
- And king Herod hearing this, was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
- And assembling together all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, he inquired of them where Christ should be born.
- But they said to him: In Bethlehem of Juda. For so it is written by the prophet:
- And thou Bethlehem the land of Juda art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come forth the captain that shall rule my people Israel.
- Then Herod, privately calling the wise men, learned diligently of them the time of the star which appeared to them;
- And sending them into Bethlehem, said: Go and diligently inquire after the child, and when you have found him, bring me word again, that I also may come to adore him.
- Who having heard the king, went their way; and behold the star which they had seen in the east, went before them, until it came and stood over where the child was.
- And seeing the star they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
- And entering into the house, they found the child with Mary his mother, and falling down they adored him; and opening their treasures, they offered him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- And having received an answer in sleep that they should not return to Herod, they went back another way into their country.
- And after they were departed, behold an angel of the Lord appeared in sleep to Joseph, saying: Arise, and take the child and his mother, and fly into Egypt: and be there until I shall tell thee. For it
will come to pass that Herod will seek the child to destroy him.
- Who arose, and took the child and his mother by night, and retired into Egypt: and he was there until the death of Herod:
- That it might be fulfilled which the Lord spoke by the prophet, saying: Out of Egypt have I called my son.
- Then Herod perceiving that he was deluded by the wise men, was exceeding angry; and sending killed all the men children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the borders thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.
- Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremias the prophet, saying:
- A voice in Rama was heard, lamentation and great mourning; Rachel bewailing her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.
- But when Herod was dead, behold an angel of the Lord appeared in sleep to Joseph in Egypt,
- Saying: Arise, and take the child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel. For they are dead that sought the life of the child.
- Who arose, and took the child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.
- But hearing that Archelaus reigned in Judea in the room of Herod his father, he was afraid to go thither: and being warned in sleep retired into the quarters of Galilee.
- And coming he dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was said by prophets: That he shall be called a Nazarene.
| Back: The Christ Child | Next: Holy Name of Jesus | Jesus Christ Our God | Site Index | Home Page |