Moreno Valley Trekkers
MV Trekker Bylaws
MORENO VALLEY TREKKERS, INC.
ARTICLE I – MEMBERSHIP
Any person twenty-one or older, interested in furthering the purpose of
the MORENO VALLEY TREKKERS, INC. (hereinafter referred to as the Trekkers) and
willing to abide by these Bylaws and Trekkers’ policies, is eligible for
2. Membership applications signed by the applicant and accompanied by membership dues, shall be submitted to the treasurer. All members are expected to participate in club duties. If the application is not accepted, all dues shall be refunded.
3. Members, on behalf of themselves, their heirs, their minor children, and their legal representatives, waive any and all responsibility of the Trekkers and any of its members for damages by reason of death, personal injury, and loss of or damage to personal property incurred as a result of any Trekkers’ activities.
4. Any member may be expelled by three fourths (3/4) vote of the entire Board of Directors for such cause as the Board deems sufficient. No such vote shall be taken until after the member has been given an opportunity to appear before the Board for suitable hearing.
When a member terminates, for any cause whatsoever, all rights and
interests of membership shall cease.
II – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. The Board of Directors shall consist of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and the Standing Committee Chairmen.
2. The Board of Directors (hereinafter called the Board) shall be elected at the June General Meeting of each year, for a period of one year, with terms of office to commence on October 1st. Nominations will be submitted by a Nominating Committee or from the floor. Voting shall be by ballot, either mailed in, emailed in or submitted at the meeting, without proxies. Ballots shall be emailed to all members in good standing at least fifteen (15) days prior to the June meeting. Each nominee for the Board must be a member in good standing.
3. Vacancies occurring in the Board shall be filled by the runner-up of the previous election or appointed by the Board, if no runner-up is available.
4. The Board shall be the governing and coordinating body of the Trekkers. The Board shall make recommendations to the membership on matters pertaining to policy, finance, and other pertinent issues.
The Board shall prepare an annual budget
for approval by the membership; may authorize unbudgeted expenditures of not
more than two hundred fifty (250) dollars without a vote of the general
membership; may veto by a majority vote of any Board meeting, any unbudgeted
expenditures voted or recommended by the membership, subject to re-passage by
the membership at the next General Meeting; and may provide for an annual financial
review of the Trekkers’ funds and inventory of Club equipment. Any proposals for an
unbudgeted expenditure of two hundred fifty (250) dollars or more must first be
considered by the Board, which will then make recommendations on the proposal at
the General Meeting.
III – STANDING COMMITTEES AND DUTIES
1. Each Standing Committee shall be headed by a Committee Chairperson.
The Standing Committees shall be: Summer Outing Committee, Social
Committee, Trail Committee, and Winter Outing Committee.
The Summer Outing Committee shall be
responsible for the Trekkers’ outing programs during the months from May thru
September; establish classification of the trips and prepare outing schedules;
maintain outing records; furnish instructions to new leaders; furnish trip
report sheets to leaders; and endeavor to have such returned.
Winter Outing Committee shall be responsible for the Trekkers’ outing programs
during the months from October thru April; establish classification of the trips
and prepare outing schedules; maintain outing records; furnish instructions to
new leaders; furnish trip report sheets to leaders; and endeavor to have such
5. The Social Committee shall arrange for our host/hostess monthly meeting and speaker or program.
6. The Trails Committee shall be responsible for preparing and maintaining trials.
Special committees shall be appointed by
the President for such purposes that may arise.
IV – MEETINGS
The Trekkers shall meet at different
locations as designated by the Social Committee. Twenty-five (25) percent of the
membership shall be a quorum and a quorum is required for all purposes requiring
a vote of the membership. All questions and issues before the membership shall
be decided by the majority of the membership voting.
Meetings of the Board shall be called at
such times and places as may be determined by the Board, the President, or ten
percent of the membership. Such meetings shall be held at least once each
calendar year. A majority of the Board shall be a quorum and a quorum is
required for all purposes. All questions and issues before the Board shall be
decided by the majority of the Directors present. Any member of the Trekkers may
attend meetings of the Board.
Robert’s Rules of Order shall be observed at all meetings.
V – DUES
Dues shall be set by the Board.
Dues shall be payable as of April 1, regardless of when the membership
commenced, and a member shall be considered in arrears if his dues have not been
paid by May 15. At such time the membership will automatically cease.
Any member dropped for non-payment of dues may be reinstated at any time
by payment of current dues and any assessment set by the Board.
VI – OUTINGS
leaders, Trekkers, and guests shall abide by the policies set forth for
activities and outings.
Pets are allowed, or excluded, at the
Trekkers’ outings at the discretion of the Trip leaders.
Firearms or explosives are NOT permitted
at the Trekkers’ outings.
All members and non-members must sign a waiver of liability if
participating in Trekkers’ outings.
VII - AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS
The Bylaws may be amended at any General Meeting of the Trekkers by a majority vote of the membership present, providing that a quorum is present and notice of the proposed amendment(s) has been mailed, or emailed, to the membership at least fifteen (15) days prior to voting.
Approved by the Board of Directors on the 31st day of August, 2010.
by the membership on the 31st day of August, 2010.
Carolyn Smith, Secretary Richard Safford, President