The petition is located at http://www.law.byu.edu/NGO_Family_Voice/call.html
Throughout the world, one of the greatest problems facing society is the disintegration of the family. We know from history, however, that strong functioning families have led to strong communities, strong communities have led to strong nations, and finally to a better world.
In the recent decades, legislative action, public policy decisions and cultural patterns have neglected or even been hostile to the family.
* Parental rights to provide moral
guidance, proper education and spiritual training to their children have
* The central contributions of mothers to the well-being of the home have been ignored or ridiculed, while the indispensable role of fathers has been minimized.
* Other forms of marriage, which undermine the traditional union of husband and wife, have been promoted.
* The sanctity of human life has been rejected in favor of expediency.
On November 7-10, 1999, The World Congress of Families will convene in Geneva, Switzerland to document and demonstrate that the family is fundamental to the well-being of global society. The people of the world will have an opportunity to participate in an effort to defend and safeguard the most important unity of society. We can raise our voice in support of a family where husband and wife are committed to the well-being of each other and of their children.
The united voice of citizens throughout the world can make a difference! We can sign our name to "A Call From the Families of the World." All signed copies will be presented at the World Congress of Families, and then delivered to the United Nations' Commission for Social Development in the year 2000.
We urge you to join us in an effort to gather signatures and to stand up for the family. Enclosed are two copies of "A Call From the Families of the World."
* Please sign one copy of the Call
and return it to:
934 North Main Street, Rockford, IL 61103 USA
* Use the additional form to make copies and distribute the Call throughout your area.
* Send additional copies to family and friends in other areas.
For more information, or to volunteer to help, call Paula Fellingham, Chairman of the Committee for the Call, at 1-888-332-6533. We thank you for your help in making this effort a huge success.
Allan C. Carlson, Mary Ellen Smoot, Richard G. Wilkins
We come together from diverse national, cultural, social and faith communities to affirm the natural human family. The natural family is the fundamental social unit, inscribed in human nature, and centered around the voluntary union of a man and a woman in a lifelong covenant of marriage for the purposes of:
* Satisfying the longings of the
human heart to give and receive love;
* Welcoming and insuring the full physical and emotional development of children;
* Sharing a home that serves as the center for social, educational, economic, and spiritual life;
* Building strong bonds among the generations to pass on a way of life that has transcendent meaning; and
* Extending a hand of compassion to individuals and households whose circumstances fall short of these ideals.
Today, however, certain social, political and economic forces threaten
the natural family, tearing the social fabric at local, national and international
levels. Under slogans such as "modernity," "globalization," and "progress."
and in the name of "Civil Society," these forces have weakened the bonds
between husband and wife, parent and child, and the generations.
These ideologies deny the natural origin and status of the family, the
equal but complementary roles of men and women, the miracle of human fertility
and procreation, the dignity and worth of every human
person, and the autonomy of the family itself. The family, which develops and sustains not only individuals but all larger communities, has been subordinated to the agendas of pressure groups, ignored by economic decision-makers, and subjected to social experimentation.
Therefore, we call for the convening of The World Congress of Families II in the Year 1999 for the purposes of:
* Rallying organizations and individuals
to protect and fortify the natural family;
* Developing guidelines for the formulation and implementation of family-centered policies and laws;
* Raising worldwide awareness of the objectives and results of the Congress through the dissemination of information to mass media, scholars, public officials, government bodies, religious leaders, family organizations, and the public at large; and
* Creating ongoing structures for mutual cooperation and support.
Name (Please Print)
Full Address (Include Country), Phone Number, Fax and/or E-mail
Please send the signed Call to:
The World Congress of Families II In the Year 1999
934 North Main Street
Rockford, IL 61103
Fax No. 815-965-1826
This international document was drafted on May 21, 1998, by the World Congress of Families Planning Committee, representing every major culture and religion of the world.