will appear on my Travellerspoint
Me at Cinque Terre village of
Vernazza on my educational tour of Italy with my students
Click to read my Travellerspoint blog entry on Italy
Hi -- my name is Mike Demana, or worldwidemike (my travel
nickname). I have been traveling internationally since I
took off backpacking after my senior year of high school.
That was more than 30 years ago. Throughout my adult life, I've
continued to visit new countries and experience new
cultures. As of now, I am up to 83 countries that I've
visited. My most recent trips include this summer's trip to
Southeast Asia -- visiting Singapore, Laos, and the Philippines. Last summer, my solo trip was
to Ukraine. I am a school teacher, so that two
month off break in the summer gives me a chance to take extended
trips. I usually go international on Spring Break, too. This
March, I went to Venice, Croatia, and Bosnia-Hercegovina.
Starting in 2015, I began a new outlet for my travels. I lead
groups of school kids on educational tours to Europe in the
summer. The trips are through EF Tours -- the largest educational
travel company in the world. Our first destination was Italy
in 2015, which we followed up in 2016 with an adventure to Greece.
This was a whole new experience for me. I normally travel by
myself or with one other person. I tend not to do "do" group
tours, like the ones offered by EF Tours. What's more, I certainly
don't travel with dozens of middle school age children...ha, ha!
However, this will give me a chance to show the next generation
what international travel is all about. Hopefully, my students
will come back hooked on travel and with a taste for more
adventure. I've always felt that, as Americans, we tend to
"vacation" more than "travel." The classic American vacation is a
week on the beach. That is a night and day difference from
researching a foreign country, picking out what you want to see,
planning your own itinerary, familiarizing yourself with the
language and customs upon arrival, figuring out the public
transportation in a different place, and so on. To many, that is
too much like "work" and not enough relaxation. The rewards,
though, are amazing. The sights I see on my travels will stay with
This website is an attempt to share those sights and stories with
the world. One thing I am doing differently on these trips
publishing my updates on the road. I bought an iPad to do this,
and luckily there are plenty of hotels and restaurants that have
free WiFi connections. I really enjoy posting somewhat "real
time" updates, along with my favorite photos. To make it easier,
I've started a Travellerspoint
blog, which I can update simply enough while I'm overseas.
My friends and family said they enjoyed reading them, too.
However, that does not mean the end of this particular
"Worldwidemike" website! Instead, this "worldwidemike" website
becomes a clearing house or storage place for people to access all
in one place.
So, welcome to my website! Take your time, scroll down through the
list of countries I have visited, and enjoy! Now that I've
become a school teacher and begun my second career, I hope to keep
updating this page with new and exciting places I've been. If you
have any comments or questions about the places I've been (or where
I'm planning to go next), feel free to e-mail me at: email@example.com
Good Friday in Leon, Nicaragua
Click to read my Travellerspoint blog entry on Nicaragua
- July 26, 2016: Reorganized front page with new links.
- May 7, 2016: Updated front page with links to Travellerspoint
blog entry on Croatia and Bosnia-Hercegovina
- August 1, 2015: Updated front page with links to
Travellerspoint blog entry on Ukraine
- April 11, 2015: Updated front page with links to
Travellerspoint blog entry on Nicaragua
- July 8, 2014: Updated front page with links to Travellerspoint
blog entries on Taiwan and Vietnam
- June 15, 2014: Updated front page with links to
Travellerspoint blog entries on Iceland and Cyprus
- July 30, 2012: Updated front page and links to Georgia,
- June 4, 2012: Updated front page information.
- July 18, 2010: Added Southern Italy
- July 17, 2010: Updated front page with Cahokia link and new
- March 3, 2009: Added video clip links for Mali.
- March 2, 2009: Added Mali
- December 2, 2008: Added Aruba
- November 20, 2008: Added Denmark
- October 7, 2008: Added videos to my Peru
- October 2, 2008: Added Peru
- May 12, 2008: Added Slovenia
- December 20, 2007: Added Malta
- October 31, 2007: Added Egypt
and "shadow site" as my main site ran out of storage space
- October 3, 2007: Changed text on front page with the MASTER
PLAN for my life!
- April 25, 2007: Added travelog and photos for Albania.
- November 10, 2006: Added travelogs for South Africa, Lesotho
- August 18, 2006: Added new photo of me and Jenny in the
Cascades to the main page.
- April 8, 2006: Added Mexico travelog,
photos and "Images of Me" page (I
know, I know..ack!)
- November 22, 2005: Added Syria
travelog and photos.
- September 26, 2005: Added a link to my photo
album on Travelpunk.com with 51 photos of Easter Island.
- September 8, 2005: Added Easter Island, Chile.
- August 6, 2005: Added Contact info for Ken's Jamaican Dream
Vacation, the tour guide from our trip to the Cockpit Country in
- April 25, 2005: Changed Main page and added Jamaica.
- December 1, 2004: Changed Main page and photo.
- November 22, 2004: Added El Salvador travelog and photos.
- March 25, 2004: Added Barcelona travelog and photos.
- March 23, 2004: Added Andorra travelog and photos.
- January 3, 2004: Added GI Journalist photo and info.
- December 22, 2003: Removed one photo for Bali, and added a
different one (at request of a certain Balinese girl).
- December 19, 2003: Added Bali.
- October 27, 2003: Added Myanmar and changed front page.
- September 10, 2003: Added Bulgaria. Yeesh! Way too long
- November 19, 2002: Changed home page with new verbage &
picture of myself.
- November 19, 2002: Added Lithuania
- October 7, 2002: Added Hong Kong & Macau
- July 10, 2002: Added Belize.
- February 16, 2002: Changed main page format.
- December 4, 2001: Added Thailand and Cambodia
- October 14, 2001: Added Brazil
- August 31, 2001: Uploaded picture of Cassis (Provence), that I
forgot to do first time.
- August 20, 2001: Got the scanner to work. Uploaded pictures of
Provence and re-scanned and uploaded Guatemala pictures (much
nicer -- check them out!)
- July 21, 2001: Added Provence, France (no pictures, yet --
- March 2, 2001: Added Guatemala (have to re-scan photos,
- December 4, 2000: Added Czech Republic
- November 1, 2000: Added Bermuda