THE BETTE MARSCHALL MEMORIAL EDUCATION FUND
memory of Bette Marschall, who was a respected elementary-school teacher
and principal in the Westerville City Schools for nearly twenty years,
from the early 1970’s through 1990, her family and friends have
established The Bette Marschall Memorial Education Fund of the
Columbus Foundation. The Fund is being used to make monetary
grants available to
In Bette’s education career, she worked to achieve improvements in the education process in several areas, including:
Bette’s Special Interest Areas
· Counseling and guidance of students
· Development of integrated curricula and interdisciplinary studies
· Promotion of diversity and tolerance in schools and society
· Promotion of conflict resolution
· Promotion of interest in the arts
· Development of creative talents
· Development of environmental awareness
· Promotion of international and global studies
· Staff development:
- Team building
- Improved teacher/administrator relations
A partial list of activities appropriate for receiving monetary grants from The Fund includes, but is not limited to:
- attending training workshops
- bringing selected visitors into schools
- buying classroom or library books for specific projects
- buying materials and supplies for specific projects
- organizing workshops
- paying travel expenses in connection with specific projects
- awarding cash prizes for outstanding student accomplishments
- subsidizing tuition for teachers/administrators continuing their education (money to be awarded after successful course completion)
Grantees will submit a brief written report (example) following completion of the project, summarizing the work accomplished and indicating the degree of success in meeting project objectives. Reports for tuition awards will include the course taken and the course grade.
Two-page Application for Funding forms for grants are available only on this website. Brevity is encouraged; two-page applications are preferred, with a four-page maximum. Completed forms may be submitted either by U.S. mail to the address below or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, as an attachment in Microsoft Word or PDF format. If applying via email, please include your name and “BMMEF” in the subject line.
The Bette Marschall Memorial Education Fund
c/o Charles Marschall
3401 Paris Blvd.
Westerville, Ohio 43081
A selection committee will meet twice annually, at the end of October and the beginning of May, to decide on the awarding of grants. Submission deadlines are October 15, 2014 and April 30, 2015. It is expected that $2900 will be available for grants to be awarded this fall. The maximum award to subsidize tuition will be $250; other grants will be for amounts up to $500, although requests smaller than $500 are encouraged to maximize the number of grants that can be awarded.
Students, as well as adult staff, are encouraged to apply for grants as Project Leaders. However, student applicants will require the signature and approval of an appropriate adult staff member.