THE ORGANIZATION OF
SOUTH FORK BAPTIST CHURCH

South Fork Baptist Church was organized in 1856 under a brush arbor. Father of Major Ross and Grandfather of Moores Ross brought his slaves and his neighbor's slaves to help hew out logs and build a big two story building. South Fork Baptist Church met downstairs and the Woodsmen of the World met upstairs. This building was in front of the cemetery and burned down from a forest fire.

Services were then conducted under a brush arbor until a building was built across the road from the present church. Major Ross was church clerk until Shiloh Church was organized. The little school house was then used for church services until the present church was built in 1875. Men from the area sawmills contributed lumber and the men donated their work. Mr. Bob Hall, the present Mrs. Eddy (Winnie Wells) Clark's great grandfather, was the carpenter.

NOTE 1: This brief early history is recorded as told to Mrs. Thelma Dillard by the late Jess Carter, a long time member and deacon of the church who joined South Fork early in life.

NOTE 2: This narrative was taken from literature prepared for South Fork Baptist Church's June 23, 1989 homecoming celebration.



RETURN TO OLD PICTURES INDEX