Family Names Of The Island Of Newfoundland
© By E. R. Seary
Published by Memorial University of Newfoundland
ISBN 0-88901-002-1


ANSTEY

ANSTEY, a surname of England, from the English place name Anstey (Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Wiltshire) or Ansty (Warwickshire). (Reaney)
   Guppy traced Anstey in Bedfordshire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset, and to a less extent in Devon.
   In Newfoundland:
   Family traditions: ----- Anstey, from Ansteys Cove, near Torquay (Devon), of Little Bay Islands, about 1817 (MUN Folklore). Samuel Ansty, of Grand Beach (Burin district), 1841 (MUN Hist.).
   Early instances: Nicholas Anstis (? a variant of Anstey), of Newfoundland, ? 1706 (CO 194.24); Charles Ainstey, of Twillingate, 1786 (MUN Hist.); Anne Ansty, of Greenspond, 1829 (Nfld. Archives, KCRC); John, of Vere (now Fair) Island, 1830 (DPHW 76); Charles, fisherman of Buff Head (Twillingate), 1840 (DPHW 88); William, of Leading Tickles, 1845 (DPHW 86); Elizabeth, of Grand Bank, 1852 (DPHW 106); John, fisherman of Merritts Harbour, 1857 (DPHW 85); Charles Anstey, of Petites, 1859 (DPHW 98); Beria, of Birchy Island, 1859 (DPHW 42); Joseph, of Black Island, 1859 (DHPW 42); Elizabeth, of Fortune, 1860 (DPHW 106); Thomas, of Little Harbour (Twillingate district), 1861 (DPHW 88); Jane, of Purcells Harbour, 1878 (DPHW 89).
   Modern status: At Corner Brook and in Twillingate district, especially Cottle's Island, Summerford, Back Harbour and Northside, and in the Burin district.
   Place names: Anstey Point 47-33 54-51; ----- Cove 49-39 55-49, Ansteys Brook 49-44 56-52.

BATSTONE

BATSTONE, a surname of England, ? from Bason or Batson (Devon), both of earlier Bad(d)astone, or a variant of BATSON. (Spiegelhalter).
   Traced by Spiegelhalter in Devon.
   In Newfoundland:
   Family Tradition: The family is believed to have come from Wales and settled in Green Bay, in English Harbour (Trinity Bay) and English Harbour East and West (Fortune Bay) (MUN Folklore).
   Early instances: John Batson, of St. John's, 1759 (DPHW 26C); William Bestone, of Trinity Bay, 1773 (DPHW 64); John Baston, of English Harbour, 1794 (DPHW 64); J. Badstone, cooper of St. John's, 1820 (D'Alberti 30); James Bastone, planter of Salmon Cove (now Champneys), 1832 (DPHW 64B); Mary Ann Batstone, of Quidi Vidi, 1846 (DPHW 26D); James, of Jackson's ? Arm, 1859 (DPHW 92); Charles and Robert, planters of Nipper's Harbour, 1871 (Lovell).
   Modern status: At Nipper's Harbour and other settlements in Green Bay, Corner Brook, St. John's and English Harbour (Trinity Bay), where there is also BATSON (Electors 1955), but neither form is apparently recorded in English Harbour East and West (Fortune Bay).

KNIGHT

KNIGHT, a surname of England, Ireland and the Channel Islands, from the Old English personal name Cniht, Old English cniht - youth, servant, soldier, feudal tenant bound to serve as a mounted soldier, knight, servant in a knight's household; in Ireland also (Mac) Knight, Mac an Ridire, Ir. Ridire - knight. (Reaney, MacLysaght, Turk).
   Found widespread by Guppy in the south and Midlands.
   In Newfoundland:
   Early Instances: Elizabeth, of Carbonear, 1755, property "in possession of the Family for upwards of 80 years", that is, before 1675 (CO 199.18); John, of Salvage, 1676 (CO 1); -----, of Quidi Vidi, 1703 (CO 194.3); William, of Bonivista, 1708-09 (CO 194.4); John, of St. John's, 1708 (CO 194.4); John, ? of Placentia, 1751 (Kerwin); Robert, of Brigus, 1800 (CO 199.18); Miss, schoolmistress of Harbour Grace, 1810 (CO 194.49); Anne, from Glasgow, Scotland, married at St. John's, 1814 (Nfld. Archives BRC); Henry, of Moreton's Harbour, 1819 (D'Alberti 29); Honor Kight, from Co. Galway, married at St. John's, 1831 (Nfld. Archives BRC); Thomas Knight, merchant of Ferryland, 1832 (DPHW 31); John, planter of Broad Cove (Bay de Verde district), 1834, of Adams Cove, 1834 (DPHW 52A); John, of Nipper's Harbour, 1845 (DPHW 86); Thomas, granted land at Hall's Bay, 1850 (Nfld. Archives, Registry Crown Lands); Captain William Skinner, from Devon, married at St. John's, 1856 (Newfoundlander 1 May 1856); Jonathon, of Black Island (Exploits district), 1859 (DPHW 92); Jonathon, of Jackson's Harbour (Exploits district), 1861 (DPHW 92); John, of the French Shore, 1867 (Nfld. Archives HGRC); Robert, of Burtons Pond (Green B.), 1871 (Lovell); Richard, of Pouch Cove, 1871 (Lovell); Josiah, of Rogues Harbour (Green B.), 1871 (Lovell).
   Modern status: Scattered, especially at Jackson's Cove and St. John's.
   Place names: Knights Arm 47-31 52-58; ----- Brook 48-53 58-14; ----- Cove 48-32 53-19; ----- Island 49-25 54-56; ----- Point 48-33 53-18.

LANGDON

LANGDON, a surname of England, from the English place name Langdon (Devon, Dorset, Essex, Kent). (Reaney, Cottle, Spiegelhalter).
   Traced by Guppy in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset.
   In Newfoundland:
   Family Tradition: James, from England, settled at Seal Cove (Fortune B.), about 1840 (MUN Hist.).
   Early instances: James, collector of Greenwich Hospital dues in the district of Little St. Lawrence, 1810-14 (D'Alberti 20, 24); Charles, planter of Twillingate, 1820 (USPG); John, of St. John's, 1821 (DPHW 26D); William, from Penton (unidentified), England, married at St. John's, 1822 (Nfld. Archives BRC); John Langdonna or Langdown, of Nipper's Harbour, 1842 (DPHW 86); George Langdon, of Harbour Grace Parish, 1845 (Nfld. Archives HGRC); Charles, of Torbay, 1848 (DPHW 32); John Langdon or Langdown, of Fogo, 1855 (DPHW 83); Charles Langdown, of Jackson's Arm, 1858 (DPHW 92); Thomas, of Exploits Burnt Island, 1858 (DPHW 92); David Langdon, of Merritt's Harbour, 1858 (DPHW 85); Ann, of Herring Neck, 1860 (DPHW 85); George, of Harbour Grace, 1867 (Nfld. Archives HGRC); Job Langdown, planter of Channel, 1871 (Lovell); William Langdon, planter of Grole, 1871 (Lovell); James, planter of Seal Cove, 1871 (Lovell).
   Modern status: Scattered, especially at Seal Cove (Fortune B.), Botwood, Northern Arm (Gander district) and Norris Arm.
   Place Names: Langdon's or Langdown's Cove, Langdon's or Langdown's Point 49-42 55-49; Langdon's Cove 49-32 55-45; Langdown Cove 49-39 55-56; Langdown's Brook 48-57 55-53.

MARSH

MARSH, a surname of England and Ireland, from Old English mersc - (dweller near the) marsh, or from the English place name Marsh (11 places in Devon), or a variant of MARCH or MARKS. (Reaney, Cottle, MacLysaght, Spiegelhalter). See also MESH.
   Traced by Guppy in 14 counties and by MacLysaght in Ireland since the 17th century.
   In Newfoundland:
   Early Instances: Richard, of Salvage, 1681 (CO 1); James, of Perlican (unspecified), 1815 (Nfld. Archives KCRC); Benjamin, of Bonivista, 1823 (DPHW 70); Joseph, planter of Bonaventure (unspecified), 1825 (DPHW 64B); William, servant of Trinity (Trinity B.), 1832 (DPHW 64B) Joseph, of King's Cove, 1834 (Nfld. Archives KCRC); William, from Canterbury, England, married at St. John's, 1835 (DPHW 26D); George, of Herring Neck, 1857 (DPHW 85); David, of Burin, 1871 (Lovell); Mark, of Channel, 1871 (Lovell); John, of Gooseberry Islands (Bonivista B.), 1871 (Lovell); William, of Green Harbour (Trinity B.), 1871 (Lovell).
   Modern status: Scattered, especially at Deer Harbour (Trinity B.) and Bonivista.
   Place Name: Marsh's Rock 49-10 53-32.

NEWHOOK

NEWHOOK, a surname of England (1 in London Telephone Directory) and Newfoundland; in Newfoundland ? from Flemish Nieuhoek - New Harbour. (Wix).
   In Newfoundland:
   Family Tradition: Charles Newick (later Newhook) (1752-1799), of French Huguenot descent, settled at Trinity (Trinity B.) in 1775 (MUN Folklore).
   Early instances: Charles Newick, of Trinity Bay, 1778 (DPHW 64); ? Elijah Newhook, proprietor and occupier of fishing room at Trinity (Trinity B.), Winter 1800-01 (Census Trinity B.); James, planter of Durrells Arm (Trinity North district), 1823 (DPHW 64B); Martha, of New Harbour (Trinity B.), 1825 (Nfld. Archives KCRC); Charles, J. P., Northern District of the Colony, 1834 (Newfoundlander 10 Jul 1834); Sarah, of St. John's, 1845 (DPHW 26D); William, of Dog Cove (Trinity North district), 1859 (DPHW 63); John and Mrs. Sarah Newhock, of Old Shop, 1871 (Lovell); Charles and William Newhook, shipwrights of Catalina, 1871 (Lovell); Jonas, of Jackson's Arm, 1871 (Lovell); William, of Ship Cove (now part of Port Rexton), 1871 (Lovell); Charles (and others) Newick, of Chapel Arm (Trinity B.), 1871 (Lovell).
   Modern status: Widespread, especially at Norman's Cove and Long Cove (Trinity South destrict).

STRONG

STRONG, a surname of England, Ireland and Jersey (Channel Islands), Old English strang, Middle English strong - strong. (Reaney, Cottle, Turk). See also STRANG.
   A midlands and southern surname traced by Guppy in Devon, Nottinghamshire and Wiltshire, and by MacLysaght in Ulster.
   In Newfoundland:
   Family traditions: William, from England, settled at Greenspond (MUN Folklore). Joseph was the first settler of Broad Cove (now part of Clarenville) (MUN Hist.).
   Early instances: William, of St. John's 1682 (CO 1); George, of Newfoundland, 1730 (CO 194.23); James Stronge, of Bay de Verde, 1730 (CO 194.23); John Strong, of Trinity Bay, 1767 (DPHW 64); George and John, of Old Perlican, 1787 (Nfld. Archives T18); Solomon, of Three Arms Island (Twillingate district), 1846 (DPHW 86); William, planter of Lance Cove (now Brownsdale), 1852 (DPHW 33); William, of Little Bay Islands, 1859 (DPHW 42); William, fisherman of Burin, 1860 (DPHW 100); George, of Twillingate, 1871 (Lovell).
   Modern status: Scattered, especially at Clarenville.
   Place names (not necessarily from the surname): Strong Island, ----- Tickle 48-06 53-42; ----- Island 49-25 55-19; ----- Tickle 47-54 53-43; ----- Island Sound 49-24 55-20; Strongs Island 49-29 54-47; ----- Point 48-10 53-57.

WELLS

WELLS, a surname of England, Scotland and Ireland from English place name Wells (Norfolk, Somerset), or of Old English wella - (dweller by the) well(s), spring(s), stream(s). (Reaney, Cottle, Black, MacLysaght 73). See also ATWILL, WELLON, WILLS, WELLMAN.
   Found widespread by Guppy, in Devon by Spiegelhalter, in Dumpriesshire by Black (where it is pronounced Walls), and mainly in notheast Ulster by MacLysaght, though in munster and Leinster in the thirteenth century.
   In Newfoundland:
   Family traditions: -----, from Durham, England, settled at the Horse Islands (MUN Folklore). ----- (1852-1927), from Norton (Yorkshire), died at Grand Falls (MUN Folklore). John, from Ringwood (Hampshire), settled at Joe Batts Arm in 1797, died in 1851, aged 72 (MUN Hist.).
   Early instances: Thomas, of Trinity Bay, 1769, of English Harbour (Trinity B.), 1783 (DPHW 64); James and William, of Port de Grave, 1776 (CO 199.18); Ann, of Carbonear, 1786 (CO 199.18); Henry, of Bonivista, 1794 (DPHW 70); Theophilus, of Cupids, 1796, of Colliers, 1798 (CO 199.18); H., proprietor and occupier of fishing room, Old Perlican, Winter 1800-01 (Census Trinity B.); R., of Ochre Pit Cove, 1802 (CO 199.18); John, of Lower Island Cove, 1802 (CO 199.18); Richard, of Northern Bay, 1802 (CO 199.18); Edward, of Bay de Verde, 1805 (CO 199.18); John, a soldier from Lisburn (Co. Antrim), married at St. John's, 1805 (Nfld. Archives BRC); John, of Harbour Grace, 1807 (Nfld. Archives HGRC); Isaac, fisherman of Salmon Bay (Petty Harbour district), 1840 (DPHW 31); Joseph, of Greenspond, 1815 (DPHW 76); John, fisherman of Joe Batts Arm, 1816 (USPG); William, planter of Twillingate, 1820 (USPG); William, fisherman of Mosquitto (now Bristols Hope), 1828 (DPHW 43); William, of Pouch Cove, 1831 (DPHW 30); George, fisherman of Brigus, 1835 (DPHW 34); John, of Three Arms (Twillingate district), 1841 (DPHW 86); William B., of St. John's, 1843 (Newfoundlander 4 May 1853); Henry, of Exploits Burnt Island, 1844 (DPHW 86); -----, on the Isabella in the seal fishery out of Bay Roberts, 1849 (Newfoundlander 5 Apr 1849); Sarah, of Catalina, 1843 (DPHW 67); George, of Barrow Harbour (Bonivista South district), 1853 (DPHW 73A); Elizabeth, of Gooseberry Island, 1856 (Nfld. Archives KCRC); William, of Shoal Bay (Fogo district), 1858 (DPHW 83); Mathew, of Harbour Grace, 1866 (Nfld. Archives HGRC); Francis, of Cottells Island, 1870 (Nfld. Archives KCRC); widespread in Lovell 1871.
   Modern status: Widespread, especially at St. John's, Hare Bay, Corner Brook, Springdale and Sandyville (Fortune Bay and Hermitage district).
   Place names (not necessarily from the surname): Well Bay, ----- Point 50-48 57-13; Wells Cove 49-41 55-51, (Labrador) 52-38 55-46; ----- Rock (Labrador) 52-12 55-39.
Home
© copyright 1998 - 2000 by Charles G. Strong
Last Updated on December 31, 2000