14" Bandsaw


View of the right side of the bandsaw   View of the left side of the bandsaw

Here is a project that I started several years ago, I think it was 1995 or 1996. For some reason I stopped working on it before I had to put my workshop in storage in my dad's barn. I think it was a misalignment that I had, or I couldn't find the right color paint for it, some insurrmountable problem like that.

In October 2003 I decided to finish it, so I completely disassembled the saw, cleaned it, and repainted it. When I started the reassembly I found the misalignment and fixed it, which took about five minutes.

The saw was designed by a company called Sun-Thrift, which I think has gone out of business. It has a throat width of 14" and the maximum cut depth is 3¾". The table is 42" high and will tilt from 10º left to 45º right. The picture on the left shows the adjustment for the tilt. A simple T-handle is used to lock the table in position.

Veiw of the spindle from the back of the saw

This picture shows the spindle from the back of the saw. The top wheel rides on the spindle, and the blade tension is adjusted using a handle on top of the spindle. The handle can't be seen, but the spring that holds the adjustment can be seen. The spring is a valve spring for a car engine. The tracking of the wheel (adjustment for left to right) is accomplished by adjusting the thumb screws on the spindle.

Veiw of the upper wheel  Veiw of the lower wheel

Here are pictures of the wheels, taken with the guards open. The wheels are made of ¾" thick plywood. I glued and nailed two layers of plywood together, and then I turned them on a temporary spindle. Then I covered the circumference of each with rubber from a tire tube. In the picture on the left you can see the handle for adjusting the blade tension that was mentioned above, as well as the handle for adjusting the upper guide (on the right). The guide is brought down close to the work to keep the amount of exposed blade as small as possible.

A veiw of the transmission  A veiw of the transmission

These pictures show my solution to a problem. My main reason for building this bandsaw was to cut steel. I have another bandsaw, an import that my brother's father-in-law wanted to get rid of. It works for wood, plastic, and aluminum, but it won't cut steel well. The new bandsaw, as designed, had three blade speeds. The only one that I needed was the slow speed of 210 feet per minute (FPM). To get this speed I would need two 14" diameter pulleys. The only ones I found were $70 each, and that seemed steep to me. Instead I added two shafts with pulleys that I had on hand. I was able to get the speed to 211 FPM, which is close enough.

Veiw of the motor guard

Here's where being a sheet metal worker comes in handy. I needed a motor guard and a guard to cover part of a pulley that stuck out on the right side of the bandsaw (which stuck out because of my modification). Instead of making the guards out of plywood like described in the plans, I made them out of 16-gage galvanized sheet metal.

Updated August 27, 2004
Powered by WebRing.
This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.

Send E-Mail

Home | Site Map | Writing | Hobbies | Math and Science

Copyright © 2004 John C. Schwytzer; All Rights Reserved