Consumer Info and Consumer Fraud links
( agency alerts, hotlines etc.
See also Health and Healing Claims
( last updated 6-22-00 )
"The world needs trusting
people. Otherwise who would us villains cheat ?"
-- Boris Badinov
- AARP Fraud Research Links
- Assoc. of State Attorney Generals
- Consumer Fraud
- Help Catch Mail Frauds
- How To Pin Down Phone
- Lose the Fat --Keep Your
- Scholarship Scams
- Consumer Archive
- Consumer Links
- Attorney General of Ohio
- File A
Consumer Complaint Online
- Better Business Bureau Central Web
Server for U.S. and Canada
- Bur. Justice Statistics
Financing Scams June 1994
- Civil Enforcemet Program -- U.S.
Dept. of Justice
- to recover taxpayers' money lost due to fraud and other misconduct
against the United States government
- to impose civil penalties for violations of the nation's health,
safety and economic welfare laws
- to use the federal Fraud Injunction Statute to enjoin on-going mail,
wire or bank frauds and freeze ill-gotten gains derived from those frauds
Credit Law Materials - Cornell
Fraud Education Links
Fraud Primer ( law page links )
- Consumer Law Page
- Consumer Information Center,
Product Safety Commission -- Product Liability
- Consumer Rights and Protection
-- 'Lectric Law Library
Product Safety Commissionld's
- FBI (contact info, divisions
- Financial Crimes
Enforcement Unit ( U.S. Treasury)
- Food and
Drug Administration Fact Sheets -- Health Fraud
For food SUPPLEMENTS see Federal
- ( food supplements, weight loss claims, engine
treatments etc. )
- Note: Although the sale of food supplements are unregulated, the
FTC has power to investigate unsubstantiated sales claims, e.g. claims
of scientific proof that a product works. These include extremely dangerous
claims, such as highly exaggerated claims that shellfish chitin can lower
cholesterol, even if you habitually overeat fatty foods..
- These investigations usually result in settlement agreements, not
prosecution -- whereupon another company makes the same claim. Hence it
behooves consumers to check EVERY wonder claim in every infomercial.
Guidance/Regulations -- Consumer Product Safety Comm.
and Financial Service Fraud Links
- Justice Dept.
(U.S.) Fraud Section
frauds by type
Investments of Precious Metals
- National Fraud Information
Center (Nat'l Consumers' League ) 1-800-876-7060
- National District Attorneys Assoc.
- Links to Safety
Standards and Codes -- Netscape
Promotion Fraud -- American Inventors Protection Act of 1999
- Postal Service, U.S. (
search on "fraud" for in-depth articles )
- Fraud Inforrmation
-- report forms, statutes, FAQ etc.
by Phone (alerts, tipoffs etc.)
- Secret Service, U.S.
-- 4-1-9 fraud schemes, electronic crime branch, counterfeit notes etc.
- Securities and Exchange
Commission -- enforcement page, investment frud alerts etc.
/ Ofc. of Investor Education
Reloading & Double-Scamming Frauds March 1994
- Telemarketing scams
- Whistleblower's Web
- Yahoo Consumer
- Better Consumer Advice
- Ourhouse.com Home improvement information and Q&A.
or report broken links: email@example.com
Main Page (frames) / Main Page (no frames)
Statement of Purpose / Calendar /
/ Member Skeptical Bios / Newsletter