Rev. Albert D. Dianiska
The Slovaks of Cleveland
by Eleanor E. Ledbetter, 1918
from p.23 with photo on p. 22
Dr. Martin Luther Evangelical Congregation.
The Dr. Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Congregation was founded in 1910, and used a dwelling at 2139 West 14th St. as a church until 1917. The four-hundredth anniversary of the Reformation was celebrated by this congregation with the opening of their new church. The structure is of red brick, very pleasing in style. The Slovak Protestants trace their history back to the reformation of John Huss, so in the decorations of this church the coat-of-arms of Martin Luther is balanced by "The Cup", the emblem of the Hussites.
Rev. Albert D. Dianiska, the pastor, is a Slovak, whose father and grandfather before him were Lutheran ministers. Mr. Dianiska has in his library manuscript volumes of devotion which they used in the dark days of religious persecution, in Hungary when meetings could be held only in secret, and printed books were not available.
[see links below]
Send comments to: Jean Hoffman