Oldest Slovak Evangelical Lutheran church in hemisphere
The congregation was organized on Feb. 22, 1883, though worship services had been conducted in private homes from 1880. The group was led by Michael Zemany, a pioneer Slovak settler to Freeland. Among the first directors whose names appear on the deeds to the land where the church was erected were Michael Zemany, Michael Wargo, George Dzurisin, John Soltis, Michael Cervenak, George Cichy, John Kmetz and John Homulka.
Land for the church cemetery was a later addition given by Mr. Coxe in 1905. It was dedicated by the then pastor, the Rev. Albert D. Dianiska.
The article shows the church housed in a white frame building with a steeple above the entrance. In the side yard is an historic marker with the text shown on the left.
Send comments to: Jean Hoffman