To get all of the old Bossier messages up use the search engine: http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl
Type in the name of the list: LaBossie
In the next search field, put: LaBossie again.
That is on every message, so they will all come up.
At the same time, volunteers were found who were willing to coordinate the collection of databases and generally oversee the contents of the web page. The Louisiana GenWeb Project is an extension of the KY GenWeb Project. The person responsible for Bossier Parish is John Andrew Prime. Please contact him, if you have a desire to add your data to the database.
The parish was formed from Claiborne Parish. Until 1871, it included what are now Webster and Red River parishes. Its boundaries were originally Loggy Bayou to Lake Bistineau to Bayou Dorcheat to the Arkansas-Louisiana state line to the Red River back to the mouth of Loggy Bayou.
The first parish officials, all appointed by Governor Mouton, were William K. Beck, Parish Judge; Robert B. Lowrey, Sheriff; R.H. Hodges, Surveyor; H.M. McFarland, Coroner; and John M. Lawdridge, C. Wallace, William Crowley and J.S.M. Lowery, Justices of the Peace. They were appointed March 9, 1843. The first parish courthouse was at Bellevue and was built by A. Kendall. The first parish Police Jury meeting (akin to a board of county commissioners) was held on June 19, 1843. The first police jurors were William Crowley, President; J.A.W. Lowery, Clerk; James C. Scott, Clerk (through Sept. 4); G.J. Williams; Joseph Graham; William M. Burns; and Isaac Lay. Their first meeting was held at the home of Ezekial Calhoun Long, believed to be near the site of the 1920s-vintage Durden log home on the Bodcau preserve.
The earliest towns and settlements in Bossier Parish were Fillmore, Collinsburg (also called Plainville), Bellevue, Rocky Mount and Red Land. Rocky Mount is site of the earliest church, the Salem Baptist Church. Red Land received the first official post office, however, on Oct. 20, 1846, with Jerome B. Mading as postmaster. The last traces of the village burned on Sept. 18, 1890.
((Source: "Bossier Parish History, 1843-1993, The First 150 Years," by Clifton Cardin. LOC No. 93-072080, ISBN 0-9637507-0-4 (softcover) and ISBN 0-9637507-1-2 (hardcover)). Cardin is the official (appointed) Bossier Parish Historian and gladly answers queries.
More about John Andrew Prime
Mansfield State Commemorative Area
Visit the site honoring the late C.C. Antoine