Other Car-free Resources on the Web
There are many individuals and groups around the world fighting the reign of car culture. These
are some of the resources that are just a click away:
- My diary of living without a car in 2005 can be found in Carfree 2005.
- A great site about "Life After, Before, Without, and Despite Cars" is to be found on De Clarke's Transportation Alternative Pages.
- Make your city a Carfree City.
- Transit and walking advocates in the Twin Cities join forces in Transit for Livable Communities.
- Read about efforts to depave Chicago's Lakeshore Drive, and other de-paving efforts, at The Campaign for a Free and Clear Lakefront..
- Bike Winter is a midwest site about bicycling thru the midwest USA's snowy winters.
- Roadkill Bill is a
carfree comic strip with some of the most common sense anti-car
arguments you will find.
- Detour Publications is a non-profit, on-line source for over 175 books and multi-media resources focusing on sustainable
transportation and urban ecology. Check out their list of carfree related books.
- A carfree site from Los Angeles, with a great deal of information about transportation alternatives is at ihatedriving.com.
- The Journal of World Transport and Policy is an
international journal on transportation policy.
- Autofrei Leben is a German
- One stop shopping for information on alternatives to the automobile and other related topics such
as the New Urbanism, can be found at The
Transportation and Development Page at Preservenet
- Perils for Pedestrians is a public access cable show on pedestrian issues. Catch it in Minneapolis on Wednesday nights at 8:30 on Channel 17.
- The folks at
Adbusters have a great anti-automobile commercial,
Hunt the Autosaurus.
- Car Busters is the
publication of a strong European car-busting movement.
- A British site is the home page for
Roadpeace. It's kind of their version of MADD, but here the emphasis is on changing peoples'
driving, rather than drinking, behavior.
- Read about other carfree and car-hater experiences, as well as find other related links in the
Car Haters page.
Some wonderful web pages from the Netherlands with plans for carfree cities and great statistics on the
wastefulness of car culture:
- Why live carfree? Read all about it in the
Choosing Urban Life, part of their anti-sprawl campaign.
- The author of the classic book, The Geography of Nowhere,
James Howard Kunstler, has an excellent site.
- "Carfree cities... are inevitable," says the author of this article in Florida's
E-Design Online, but that
day is going to come as a big surprise to the United States.
- One of the world's most beloved carfree cities is