Stress Management / Excellent adviceA lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience, raised a glass of water and asked, 'How heavy is this glass of water?' Answers called out ranged from 8oz. To 20oz.
The lecturer replied, 'The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it.'
'If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm.
If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance.'
'In each case it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.'
He continued, 'And that's the way it is with stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on.'
'As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. '
'So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work/life down. Don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow.'
'Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment if you can. Relax; pick them up later after you've rested.
Life is short. Enjoy!'
And then he shared some ways of dealing with the burdens of life:
* Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
* Keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
* Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.
* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
* Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
* The second mouse gets the cheese.
* Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
* A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
| Home Page | Alcohol-free Recipes | Meditation | Cool Links |
| Jokes & Games | Body Building | Buddhist Links | Health Insurance |