| Home Page |
12 Ways to Tell the Difference Between Your Sponsor and Your Therapist:
1. Your sponsor isn't all that interested in the "reasons" you drank.
2. Your therapist thinks your root problem is your lack of self-esteem and your negative self-image. Your sponsor thinks your problem is yourself.
3. Your therapist wants to pamper your inner child. Your sponsor thinks it should be spanked.
4. Your sponsor thinks your inventory should be about you, not your parents.
5. Speaking of your parents, your sponsor tells you not to confront them, but to make amends to them.
6. The only time your sponsor uses the word "closure" is before the word "mouth."
7. Your sponsor thinks "boundaries" are things you need to take down, not build up.
8. Your therapist wants you to love yourself first; your sponsor wants you to love others first.
9. Your therapist prescribes care-taking medication. Your sponsor prescribes prayer making and meditation.
10. Your sponsor thinks "anger management skills" are numbered 1 through 12.
11. Now that you haven't had a drink in 6 months, your therapist thinks you should make a list of all your goals and objectives for the next 5 years, starting with finishing up that college degree. Your sponsor thinks you should start today by cleaning coffee pots and help to carry a heavy box of literature to the jail.
12. Your sponsor will not lose his/her license if he/she talks about God.