Setup Walkthrough Additions
If you have installed Zork: Nemesis and have tried to play it only to get a black screen with the error "Please insert CD1", the following is a work around which just may work for you. It is also useful for those who don't want to do any CD swapping during the game. The following allows you to play the entire game from your hard drive.
Note: This method assumes that you have at least 1.7 Gig of hard drive space available. This also will work with Windows 98 as well as XP.
- Install the game as per Inferno's instructions if your using Windows XP. Make sure that you choose the "Best Performance" when doing the install.
- Using Windows Explorer go to your Local Hard Disk "C"...."Program Files" .... "Activision" ..."Nemesis" (C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis) and it's
here that we will create three folders , one for each CD. First "Right click" in this location and choose "New Folder"...name it "CD1" (with no spaces). Repeat this
twice more naming them "CD2" and"CD3".
- Put CD1 into your CD-ROM and using Windows Explorer look at the contents of the CD. We want to copy each CD of the game to it's proper folder that we just
created. There are a number of way's to do this copy. One way is to select "Edit" at the top of Widows Explorer and click on "Select all". Go back into each of the
folders we've created (i.e. C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis\CD1) and with the mouse "Right Click" in the empty folder and choose "Paste". This may take
some time depending on your PC spec's. Repeat the above process putting the contents of game "CD2" to folder "CD2" and game "CD3" to folder "CD3"
- Next we have to modify a file. This file is used by the game to "point" to all the other files that are not installed and are played from the game CD's. We just copied
the CD's to the hard drive so we have to edit this file and move the pointers. This file is called "NEMESIS.ZIX" and is located in the same place that we created the
three folders. (C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis). When you have found the file double click on it.
- Your computer will not recognize the file extension and will ask what to open it with.
- Open it with "WordPad". We can do this because this file is all text. Look at the table below. On the left are the lines that we modify and on the right are the modified lines. You can either type over the original lines with the text on the right or "cut and paste" the lines below on the right.
ORIGINAL TEXT LINES NEW TEXT LINES 0 g:\disc1 zorknem_i 'I 0 C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis\CD1 'I 1 h:\disc2 zorknem_ii 'II 1 C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis\CD2 'II 2 h:\disc3 zorknem_iii 'III 2 C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis\CD3 'III CD0: zassets DIR: .\CD1\zassets CD0: zassets\global DIR: .\CD1\zassets\global CD0: zassets\global\venus DIR: .\CD1\zassets\global\venus CD2: zassets\temple DIR: .\CD3\zassets\temple CD0: zassets\temple DIR: .\CD1\zassets\temple CD1: zassets DIR: .\CD2\zassets CD1: zassets\global2 DIR: .\CD2\zassets\global2 CD1: zassets\conserv DIR: .\CD2\zassets\conserv CD1: zassets\monast DIR: .\CD2\zassets\monast CD2: zassets\global3 DIR: .\CD3\zassets\global3 CD2: zassets\asylum DIR: .\CD3\zassets\asylum CD2: zassets\castle DIR: .\CD3\zassets\castle CD2: zassets\endgame DIR: .\CD3\zassets\endgame
- After this file has been edited, save it by clicking on "File" tab at the top and choose "Save".
- The New Edited Portion of the .zix File will look like this:
0 C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis\CD1 'I
1 C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis\CD2 'II
2 C:\Program Files\Activision\Zork Nemesis\CD3 'III
leave the remainder of the file alone.
- If all is done correctly, then the game will run without errors and without the game CD's. The game experience is well worth the time and effort to do the above procedure.
Back to XP Game List U-Z
Back to Inferno's XP Compatibility List
This document may not be distributed without express
written permission of the author and the content may not be altered
in any way.
For Questions or Comments
Please write to:Mordack
Copyrightę6/2004 Dennis Lepine