The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes:
The Case of The Serrated Scalpel
OS: MS-DOS 5.0 or higher.
CPU 486 66+ or 100% compatible PC system.
30 MB free hard drive space.
8 MB RAM (16 MB w/ Windows 95).
256-color SVGA or PCI video card,
VESA 1.2 video compliance.
2x CD-ROM drive or faster.
Keyboard and Microsoft compatible mouse.
Supported: Sound Cards: Sound Blaster, SB Pro/SB 16/SB AWE 32 or 100% compatible, ProAudio Spectrum, Roland Sound Canvas, Yamaha Waveforce XG or 100% General Midi compatible, Ensoniq Soundscape. Recommended: Pentium 90.
16 MB RAM.
Sound Blaster 16 and General Midi sound card.
As I do for all of my setups, whenever I install a program I have a habit of "cleaning house". It always helps my applications (whatever they might be) run smoother and with less difficulty. I've compiled a few tips and tricks which are common to all the games I run on my system. Those who know me and what I do; know "the drill". In fact, if you are new here, that's exactly what we call it. Ladies and Gentlemen...
I present The General Drill in printable form. For this game, pay particular attention
to the following sections:
The Task Manager Step
I find, Holmes, that's music sometimes calms the savage beast.
Make sure that you have VDMSound downloaded and installed. You'll also need to download a patch for this game. HOLMESFIX.zip is the name and you'll find it at
"Hobbes". Yes , I know... it's an unofficial patch for OS2 which is a different Operating System than Windows Xp... but it works ... don't ask me why. This patch straightens out some sound issues and helps the pointer to work smoothly with the keyboard. Make sure that you download the patch to a folder that you will be able to find easily.
VDMSound 2.0.4 plus the Update and Launchpad should be installed to your hard drive once they are downloaded and your system should be restarted. Make sure that you follow the tips in the General Drill for the sections that I mentioned , but leave The Task Manager Step until just before you begin to install the game.
You might want to check on your Video and Audio Acceleration at this time, make sure you set the video at the 2nd notch from the right --> and audio should be set to the 2nd notch from the right as well (I find that this is the best setting for this adventure on MY system. Yours may be different, but this is always a good place to start and you can increase or lower them as you see fit after the game is installed.)
Please make sure that you Display is set to 800X600 16bit Color.
I know this seems like a bother, but if you take the time to make sure your system is sparkling on the inside, you'll have less headaches later. Remember a healthy XP is a happy one.
Use The Task Manager Step now.
It's elementary, My Dear Watson.
- Place your Sherlock Holmes CD into your Default CDROM Drive. Go to Start --> My Computer --> Your Default CDROM Drive (mine is "D") --> Right Click --> Choose "Open".
- Locate the file INSTALL.EXE --> Right Click -->Properties --> Follow the Table below:
Run Maximized uncheck close on Exit Memory Conventional Memory Total 640 (check protected) Initial Environment 4096 Expanded (EMS) Memory 16384 Extended (XMS) Memory 16384 MS-DOS protected mode (DPMI) Memory 16384 Screen Usage Full Screen leave everything else as it is Misc Foreground uncheck "Allow Screensaver" Mouse Exclusive Mode Idle Sensitivity Set at 80% to the right. leave everything else as it is Compatibility Compatibility Mode leave blank Display Settings check all Input Settings check all
- Click Apply. Click OK.
- Right Click --> Select Run with VDMS (no musical note.)
- At the first screen you will see "Install Games". Press --> Enter.
The next screen will show "Install Lost Files of Holmes". Press --> Enter.
- At the next screen, toggle down with the arrow down key and choose the larger install. Press --> Enter.
- At the next screen toggle up with the up arrow key to select "YES". Press --> Enter.
- If you have ADOBE DOCUMENT READER already installed toggle down and Choose --> "Return to DOS". If you don't have it --> Choose --> The Reader and install it.
- Follow the logical prompts until you are back at Windows.
(the last prompt you will have is a black screen telling you to press any key)
- Now go to Start --> My Computer --> Local Disk "C" --> EA folder --> HOLMES or "C:\EA\HOLMES.
- Locate the following files:
- Right click on each file in its turn and follow The Table for the INSTALL.EXE file.
- Click Apply Click Ok.
- Locate HOLMES.BAT file. Right Click -->Properties-->Compatibility--> Follow the Table below:
Compatibility Compatibility Mode leave blank Display Settings check all Input Settings check all
Click Apply Click Ok.
On to the Patch!
- Locate the patch holmesfix.zip which you downloaded. Double Click on the zip file and extract all files to C:\EA\HOLMES. Close out of the WinZip file and Locate the Game Folder once again. C:\EA\HOLMES.
- Locate the file HOLMESFIX.EXE -->Right Click -->and follow The Table for the INSTALL.EXE once again.
- Click Apply Click OK.
- Double Click on the file HOLMESFIX.EXE
You will receive a message stating that the game has been patched successfully. Click on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the window to exit out of this screen.
- Right Click on--> HOLMES.BAT file and select "Send To" -->
Desktop (To create Shortcut)
- Close out of all windows back to your Desktop.
- At the Desk top locate the "Shortcut to HOLMES.BAT" Icon -->Right Click--> Select--> Properties--> and follow The Table below :
- Click Apply. Click OK.
The Game's a foot!
Right Click on the HOLMES.BAT Icon and Select --> Run with VDMS (no musical note)
Note*** The opening will run very slowly. Give it time and be patient. There are voices in the opening and at the end. There are sound effects throughout the game.
to XP Game List K-O