I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream
by Llewton (Bill)
The Dreamers Guild Circa 1995
Cyberdreams Interactive Entertainment
Platforms: PC/ Mac
DOS 4.0 to 6.22
Ensoniq Soundscape, General MIDI, Gravis Ultrasound / MAX / ACE, Pro Audio Spectrum / Plus / 16, Roland MT-32 (and LAPC-1), Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster 16, Sound Blaster AWE32, Sound Blaster ProInput Devices:
This setup relies on Dosbox to enable you to play the game. DOSBOX is a DOS Emulator which in essence sets the game up in a DOS Environment . You can download it by double clicking on the link I have provided below (when it opens choose the first option , as this is the latest version). The easiest way to do this is to Download it to your Desktop and then Double Click on the .exe file there to install the program and set it up to where you install your applications.
(Ex: C:\program files\dosbox).
...Let's begin the install
- Install the Game. The default path will be C:/scream. If you use a different location for games, install to there. For instance, I have a game folder in my
G: Partition so I installed the game to G:/games/scream.
- After installing you will be prompted to configure the Sound and Music Cards. I chose "Soundblaster and 100% compatible sound cards" for Voice and Sound Effects and "Soundblaster 16" for Music (midi). For each one Double Click on your choice, then Double Click on Configure Automatically If the game recognizes your choice it will tell you. Then Click on OK.
- Do this for both, then Double Click on Done. After this, Down Arrow to Done and Enter Your sound card is now configured for the game.
- Next open up Windows Explorer (Start-Programs-Accessories- Windows Explorer) and go to the drive letter where you installed the game, Double Click on that to open it up and Double Click on the Game Directory. On the right hand side you'll find a file "Scream: with MS-Dos Batch File" under it. Right Click on this and you'll see and "Edit" option. Left Click on that and Notepad will open with the contents of that file.
- Go on top of the Notepad options and Click on Edit and then Select "All". This will highlight all the text from that file.
- Now Press your "Delete Key" erasing everything in there. Then type this line only
Go to the top File menu and Save and Exit
Save and Exit.
Get ready to play the game.
- Open up Windows Explorer again and go to the DOSBOX Directory.
- Double Click on that to open it and on the right hand side you'll see a folder that says DOSBOX with Conf. file underneath.
- Right Click on this and Click on the "Edit " option.
- Scroll Down to the bottom of this where it says "autoexec".
- Underneath there, type the following:
(Be sure to put in the spacing as I have it.)
mount C: C:\
This is telling DOSBOX that the game is installed in your C:\ drive. If you installed the game in another drive letter type that in instead. I installed the game in my G: partition, so I have:
mount G: G:\
Now let's get DOSBOX to recognize your CDROM Drive
Note: if your CD-ROM Drive is letter 'E', then replace the 'D:' below with 'E:'. Be sure to put in the spaces where I have them
mount d: d:\ -t cdrom
Scroll up to where it says
and change to
This will run Dosbox in fullscreen mode.
Next look for :
Change this to:
Save and Exit as before.
Note: If the sound is choppy or the game is running slow you might try
It all depends on the speed of your processor.
On the Right hand side you'll see the DOSBOX. EXE. file (just says DOSBOX with a square icon before it), Right Click on this and then Click where it says "Send To" then Click on Desk Top. This will create a DOSBOX Icon on your Desk Top.
Double Click on the DOSBOX Icon on your Desk Top and this will open up the DOSBOX Screen.
Now we are ready to play.
Then Press the Enter Key. If you installed the game in another directory type that letter (ex G:)
Then Press the Enter Key.
This is the default directory path for the game. If you used anything different you'd change the above to that .
(ex : I have the game installed in my G:\partition in a folder for games.) So, I type:
Your cursor will now look like this
(at this point make sure the game disk is in your cdrom drive).
Now right at the bracket " >" after
Type scream again so the line will look like this:
Press Enter and the game will start to play.Remember: To get out of DOSBOX at any point
(ex. saved game and you want to quit) after exiting the game as normal you'll have the DOSBOX Screen still open. To get out simply type:
and then Press the Enter Key.
Note: The sound may be a little choppy and the game may play a little slow. If this is the case hold down your "CTRL" Key while continually tapping your F12 Key. This will increase the DOSBOX Run Cycles and things should start improving. If you find that all of a sudden the sound starts breaking up again after it was getting better you probably increased the cycles too much. So do the same as before but this time, keep tapping the F11 Key till things even out (first try changing the cycles to cycles=9050 in the DOSBOX.config file).
Enjoy the game!
Country Codes redits
DOSBOX is a wonderful free program created by those incredible computer techs over at VOGONS.
Back to XP Game List F-J
Back to Inferno's XP Compatibility List
This document may not be distributed without express
written permission of the author and the content may not be altered
in any way.
For Questions or Comments
Please write to: Llewton