The Town of Flatlands (which was known to the early Dutch settlers as Amersfort), and
which included the unincorporated village of Canarsie, was settled in 1636, making it the oldest settled area on Long Island.
It is second only to Manhattan in the tristate area. In 1896, the Town of Flatlands was annexed by the City of Brooklyn, and
in 1898, the City of Brooklyn was annexed by the City of New York. It was thus that Canarsie became a part of Greater
Canarsie Historical Society was founded in 1982 by Jean Martense Gladwish
and the late Elsie Oberg, both of whom descended from Canarsie's first families. For many years, the society operated under
the able leadership of Ben DuBose, who served as the president. The current co-presidents are Ira M. Kluger and Charles S.
Dono. Our work was and continues to be inspired by the late John F. Denton, who was the foremost authority on Canarsie's history.
One of our most significant accomplishments was the preservation of the
eastern portion of the original Town of Flatlands burial ground, which is officially known by the City of New York as
the "Indian Cemetery". In addition, our organization's position paper, which was authored and presented by Ben DuBose, was
instrumental in the landmarking and preservation of the 17th century Lott Family Homestead, which is located in what
is now known as the Marine Park area. More recently, we succeeded in placing a plaque at the site where the Canarsie
Courier was founded in 1921, a long-held dream of co-president Ira Kluger.
In 2000, our organization received a Brooklyn History Award from Borough
President Howard Golden and Borough Historian Dr. John Manbeck.
Our mission is to preserve the history of the Canarsie area, to collect
relevant archival documents and artifacts, and to serve as an educational resource to the community.