Fundamentals of Counseling - Credit by Examination - DANTES
Earn three college semester hours credit in "Fundamentals of Counseling" by
passing DANTES examination SG-562 or SH-562 with a recommended scaled score of 45 (out of 99)
using this study guide:
- Begin your study by downloading the official
for this exam. (If Thompson Prometric has moved these (again) try here.
- Assess your current readiness for the exam by reviewing the Content section and
answering the sample questions.
- Obtain materials to improve your skills in areas where you need additional
study from among the following:
- When you are ready, schedule an examination:
- Active duty (U.S.) military personnel contact your command DANTES office.
- National Guard and Reserve personnel may also be eligible for assistance.
- Others contact the College or University administering the test.
(Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support) offers
credit by examination via a group of standardized tests developed for
the voluntary education programs of the U.S. Armed Forces which have now
been made available for civilian use. The civilian tests are administered
by the Chauncey Group International
, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Educational Testing Service.
Link to these related articles :
The bibliography below is based on the suggested preparation readings for
the DANTES tests. It has been updated from the original recommendations with respect to
current editions and changes of publisher so far as is practicable.
- Brammer, Lawrence M., Everett L. Shostrom, and Philip J. Abrego.
Therapeutic Counseling and Psychotherapy. 6th ed.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1992.
- Buelow, George and Suzanne Hebert.
Counselor's Resource on Psychiatric Medications: Issues of
Treatment and Referral. 2 ed. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 1999.
- Cavanagh, Michael E.
The Counseling Experience: A Theoretical and Practical Approach.
2nd ed. Monterey, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 1982. Reprint.
Prospect Heights, IL: Wareland Press, 2004.
- Corey, Gerald.
Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 7th ed.
Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 2004.
- Corey, Gerald, Marianne Schneider Corey, and Patrick Callanan.
Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions. 6th ed. Pacific
Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 2002.
- Egan, Gerard.
The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping. 7th ed.
Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 2001.
- Faiver, Christopher, Sheri Eisengart, and Ronald Colonna.
The Counselor Intern's Handbook. 3rd ed. Pacific Grove, ,CA:
Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 2003.
- George, Rickey L., and Therese S. Cristiani.
Counseling: Theory and Practice. 4th ed. Englewood Cliffs,
NJ: Prentice Hall, 1994.
- Gibson, Jane Whitney.
The Supervisory Challenge: Principles and Practices. 2nd ed.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1994.
- Gladding, Samuel T.
Counseling: A Comprehensive Profession. 5th ed. New York:
- Hansen, James C., Robert H. Rossberg, and Stanley H. Cramer.
Counseling: Theory and Process. 5th ed. Boston: Allyn and
- Ivey, Allen E.
Developmental Strategies for Helpers: Individual, Family, and Network
Interventions. Second Printing. North Amherst, MA: Microtraining Associates, 1993.
- Ivey, Allen E., Mary B. Ivey and Lynn Simek-Downing.
Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy: A Multicultural Perspective . 5th ed.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall 2001.
- Martin, David G. and Allan D. Moore, eds.
Basics of Clinical Pratice: A Guidebook for Trainees in the Helping Professions. Long Grove, IL:
Waveland Press, 1998.
- * Nugent, Frank A. and Jones, Karyn DayleIntroduction to the Profession of Counseling 4th ed.
- Patterson, C. H. and Edward C. Watkins.
Theories of Psychotherapy. 5th ed. New York:
Harper & Row, 1997.
- Peterson, Gary W., James P. Sampson and Robert C. Reardon.
Career Development and Services: A Cognitive Approach.
Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 1991.
- Sue, Derald Wing, and David Sue.
Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice. 4th ed.
New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 2002.
- Vondracek, Fred W. and Sherry Corneal.
Strategies for Resolving Individual and Family Problems.
Pacific Grove, CA: Wadsworth Publishing Co., 1994.