General Anthropology - Credit by Examination - DANTES
Earn three college semester hours credit in "General Anthropology" by passing
DANTES examination SF-494 with a recommended minimum score of 52% using
this study guide:
- Begin your study by downloading the official
for this exam. (If Thompson Prometric has moved these (again)
- Assess your current readiness for the exam by reviewing the Content section and
answering the sample questions.
- Obtain materials to improve your skills in areas where you need additional
study from among the following:
- When you are ready, schedule an examination:
- Active duty (U.S.) military personnel contact your command DANTES office.
- National Guard and Reserve personnel may also be eligible for assistance.
- Others contact the College or University administering the test.
(Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support) offers
credit by examination via a group of standardized tests developed for
the voluntary education programs of the U.S. Armed Forces which have now
been made available for civilian use. The civilian tests are administered
by the Chauncey Group International
, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Educational Testing Service.
Link to these related articles :
The bibliography below is based on the suggested preparation readings for
the DANTES tests. It has been updated from the original recommendations with respect to
current editions and changes of publisher so far as is practicable.
- Barrett, Richard A.
Culture and Conduct: An Excursion in Anthropology. 2nd ed. Belmont, CA:
Wadsworth Publishing, 1990.
- Fagan, Brian. People
of the Earth: An Introduction to World Prehisiory. 11th ed. Glenview, IL:
Harper Collins, 2003.
- Feder, Kenneth and Michael A. Park.
Human Antiquity. 4th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Ember, Carol R. and Melvin Ember.
Anthropology: A Brief Introduction. 5th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ:
- Harris, Marvin and Johnson, Orna Cultural Anthropology.
6th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 2002.
- Haviland, William A. et. al.Cultural Anthropology : The Human Challenge.
11th ed. New York: Wadsworth, 2004.
- Jolly, Clifford and Randall White. Physical Anthropology and Archaelogy. 5th ed. New York: Knopf, 1995.
- Kottak, Conrad P.
Anthropology: The Exploration of Human Diversity. 10th ed. New York:
McGraw Hill, 2003.
- McCurdy, David and James Spradley. Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology. 11th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 2002.
- Nanda, Serena, and Richard L. Warms.
Cultural Anthropology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing, 2003.
- Poirier, Frank E.
An Introduction to Physical Anthropology and the Archaeological Record.
Minneapolis: Burgess, 1982.
- Sharer, Robert and Wendy Ashmore. Discovering Our Past : A Brief Introduction to Archaeology. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005.
- Thomas, D. H. Archaeology: Down to Earth. 2d ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing, 1998.