Pictured above are the last two employees of the Ebensburg Coal Company. Dave Magyar (left) and Bill Miller on the right. They operate a water treatment plant that treats the mine water that is being forced out of the ground. There is about 4 million gallons of water a day coming through these boreholes. In the background is one of the two treatment facilities on the site. The yellow tower holds ground limestone. Inside the building is a device that grinds the limestone finer and then heats it to form calicum oxide. The calicum oxide is then metered into the water that is arising from the boreholes to neturalize the acid, then the mine water goes into a pond where it is aerated to oxidze the sulfur in the mine water. The water then flows into a settling pond where the oxidixed sulfer settles out at which time the water is released into the Black Lick Creek. Bill is very prod of the fact that he has never received a EPA citation for violation of water standards. He is also proud of the fact that there are fish living in the discharge waters.
The water surfaces through 6 boreholes. At one point the boreholes
were closed off, and over a weekend the resulting water pressure from the
mine pushed the sealed shaft several feet out of the ground.
This water is coming out by gravity, the high point of the mine is between Triploi and the Colver T (In terms of elevation above sea level, the high point is about 2100 feet) and the low point is near the Y (at about 1640 elevation). The water flows to the lowest point and has several hundred feet of "head" against it.
The last location of the Ebenburg Coal Company -- The sign indicated Eastern Associated Coal Corp, but it is now Peabody Coal Company