|November 7, 1910 ||Work started on Thomas R Williams farm 6 miles North of Ebensburg
According to the Cambria Freeman, Indications are that the work was planned to
continue through the winter.
|December 16, 1910 ||The Cambria Freeman indicated that
work was progressing and that the name of the new town was "COLVER." The same article
announced the construction of a spur line of the "Blacklick-Millcreek" railroad to the
|January 27, 1911 ||The Cambria Freeman
announced the construction of a 10 mile line of the "Blacklick-Yellowcreek" railroad to connect with
the New York Central Railroad at Possum's Glory, Indiana County.
|January 27, 1911 ||The Cambria Freeman provided the details of the mine.
The shaft was 135 feet, the slope was 350 long and a rock tunnel 2,000 feet. Also provided was the
fact was that the second of two large boilers, purchased in Erie, had arrived at the work site.
|April 7, 1911 ||Announced was the completion of the rail line from Ebensburg to
Colver. Noted was the fact that it was only 6 miles overland, but 28 miles by rail. It was also
noted that the shaft had been sunk 60 feet and that the "slope" had also gone a considerable distance.
(Cambria Freeman, April 7, 1911)
|May 19, 1911 ||
The construction of a "good" road to Colver from the main "highway" was noted. Also mentioned in passing was
the fact the company was operating a store and and mess for the foremen, superintendents and engineers.
(Cambria Freeman, May 19, 1911)
|June 16, 1911 ||
It was announced that the Ebensburg Coal Company "struck Coal in both the shaft and the drift." It was also noted
that the slope will not reach the coal for some months. (Cambria Freeman, June 16, 1911)
|June 30, 1911 ||
A contract was let to John E. Miller to construct 60 homes at $800 each."
A contract was let to the Cambria Steel company to provide 200 steel hopper cars to the C&I railroad.
(Cambria Freeman, June 30, 1911)
|September 1, 1911 ||It was announced that the first coal had been shipped
from the new mines. (Cambria Freeman, September 1, 1911)
|September 8, 1911 ||
Plans for the construction of a two story brick hotel were revealed. The plans called for 40 rooms, 20 on each
floor and a bar.
(Cambria Freeman, September 8, 1911)
|October 27, 1911 ||
Another item chronicling the growth of the town was note of a contract for 106 houses for a total cost of
$90,000." Also included in the item was the cost of the store at $25,000 and a hotel for the same amount.
(Cambria Freeman, October 27, 1911)
|December 8, 1911 ||
The construction and operation of a hospital was announced. The news item notes the uniqueness of this institution.
(Cambria Freeman, December 8, 1911)
|January 31, 1912 ||
The first fatality occured at the mine. A miner by the name of John Gordy was caught by a trip of
runaway cars at the foot of the Colver slope (Cambria Freeman, February 2, 1912)
|July 25, 1922 ||
National Guard Troops Removed to Colver Field. Troop A, 104th Cavalry was assigned to patrol Colver.
(Johnstown Tribune, July 25, 1922)
|July 27, 1922 ||
Coal and Iron Police are still numerous in the town. A short distance out of town
is located a camp of Troop B, 104th Cavalry.
It was reported that 60 men were in the mine and that seven steel cars were loaded with coal the day before.
(Johnstown Daily Tribune, July 27, 1922)
|August 24, 1933 ||
The Mountaineer Herald reported that Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Roosevelt unexpectedly
called at the Colver and Revloc "mine works" staying overnight in the new Ebensburg Inn..
(Ebensburg Mountaineer Herald, August 24, 1933)