THURSDAY EVENING, JULY 27, 1922 (page 15, column 5)


Coal and Iron Police Numerous, But Have Very Little Work to Do


Tribune Bureau

Ebensburg, July 27

Colver is a quiet and humdrum, apparently, as ever it was. It is said that 60 men were in the mines today and that seven steel cars loaded with coal were shipped the day before.

Coal and Iron police are still numerous in the town, patrolling, making reports, often only delivering messages and orders from the management. In a quarry just outside the town men are taking out large blocks of stone. These blocks are being macerated in a stone crusher and the granulated product is to be used in a 365-foot shaft the management is having constructed in the heart of the town. This shaft, taking miners down in a cage to the coal digging, eliminates a half-mile up and down a long road to the present plant.

A short distance from the town is located a camp of Troop B, 104th Cavalry.

J. W. Fortenbaugh, District Engineer for the State Health Department, visited the camp yesterday and notified the commander that an analysis made of the spring from which water is obtained for the soldiers showed a dangerous count of bacteria, probably coli bacilli. Mr. Fortenbaugh forbade use of the water.

Captain Bertell has had liberal doses of hypo-chlorite used in the water from the first as a safety measure. Until an equally convenient source of supply can be located it is possible the spring water will be used thoroughly hypo-chlorited.

Top-Sergeant Bart Richards of the camp, is a member of the New Castle "Daily News" staff and sends his paper interesting letters several days a week. Private G. W. Rapson is city editor of the Oil City "Blizzard" and sends that journal breezy reports from the camp.

Standing at the center of the camp, Top Sergeant Richards showed the writer a spot in the woods, half a mile away across country at which the miners were holding a mass meeting, undisturbed. Nearly 300 men were present and heard addresses by William Welsh, John Naholtz, and others.

Eight cavalrymen and a machine gun troop patrolled the roads around Colver. The Sergeant in charge of the machine gun troops served in France more than a year and was wounded twice during the battle of Apremont.

At the mass meeting of strikers one of the speakers was enthusiastically applauded when he said:

"We are not going back to work tomorrow or no other day until we are granted our rights under the American Constitution and the Stars and Stripes."