Who you were and your national origin determined the type and location of housing for someone in Colver. For the most part a miner would be able to rent a 4 room house with an outhouse. Management was entitled to a 6 room house with a bathroom. There were a few 3 room "shanties" and generally these went to the "Foreigners."
One of these shanties is pictured below as it was in 1941 and was located at the lower end of Second Street. To the left of the shanty is the rest of Colver. These were 3 room "L" shaped houses on posts, heated with a coal stove, and a shared (but separated) outhouse in back. There was also a coal bin built on the outside of the outhouse on both sides. One water tap was provided in the kitchen. The web page author lived in an identical "shanty" across from this one from 1939 to 1942. According to the both the Cambria Freeman and the Johnstown Tribune, these houses were moved to Colver from Starford in Indiana County when the mine owned by Weaver was played out.
(Click to enlarge)
The next level of housing was the 4 room house. Pictured below
is a 4 room house as it is in 2001. This house is at the intersection
of Coleman Avenue and 6th street. It still retains the green asbestos
shingles that were placed on the houses in 1928. The front window
has been replaced with a larger window and appears that the area under
the front porch has been dug out to provide a larger basement, possibly
for a fuel oil tank.
Four room house
(Click to Enlarge)
For the "company bosses" there was the six room house. Pictured
below is a six room house at the intersection of 4th Street and Coleman
Avenue. This house also retains the green asbestos shingles that were
placed on the houses in 1928, but very few additions or improvments have
been made to this house.
Six room house
(Click to enlarge)
C&I housing was brick -- no pictures are available at this time.