Richard Otis was my 10th great grandfather. He was born in 1550, in Glastonbury, England. His sons, Stephen and John, immigrated to New Hampshire early in the 17th century. Many of their descendants had serious problems with Indians, in the late 1600's and early 1700's, and were either attacked, captured or killed by them, as you will read in the following reports.
From Cochecho Massacre, on www.seacoastnh.com, "In one bloody afternoon, a quarter of the colonists in what is now downtown Dover, NH were gone -- 23 killed, and 29 captured in a revenge attack by native warriors. In one afternoon, 50 years of peaceful co-existence between the Penacook tribe and European colonists ended. The massacre of 1689 entered the history books along with similar accounts throughout the Seacoast. With three-quarters of the native population afflicted by white diseases, dead or driven out of their ancestral homeland, the next half century brought the final gasps of protest against the unending "white tide" of settlers."
On Thursday, the 27th of June, 1689, the dwelling-house of Richard Otis, was attacked by the Indians, and himself shot as he was rising up in bed,
and his son Stephen and daughter Hannah were killed, the latter, then two years
old, by dashing her head against the chamber stairs. The wife and infant child
of three months, with others, twenty-nine in all, were carried captive to Canada,
and sold to the French.
In this Abenaki Indian massacre in 1689 in Dover, New Hampshire, many of the Otis family were killed. One of his granddaughters, in the 4th generation, Mary Otis, was also taken in that Indian attack and sold to the French. How she returned to marry Ebenezer Varney is still a mystery. Mary and Ebenezer were my ancestors, so I am very grateful for her return.
The Otis family began to follow the Society of Friends (Quakers) during the 1700's, and their descendants followed them in this faith. They became a highly educated family, many of them graduating from Harvard University.
In this report, I am showing 10 generations of the Otis family (eliminating some Pinkham and Baker names, due their extremely large families) leading to my grandfather, Herbert Maxfield. The line leading to me is in purple.
Descendants of Richard Otis
Generation No. 1
1. RICHARD1 OTIS1 was born 1550 in Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England, and died Abt. 1611 in Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England1. He married MARGARET2 1578 in England. She was born 1557 in Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England, and died June 28, 1653.
Children of RICHARD OTIS and MARGARET are:
i. THOMAS2 OTIS3.
2. ii. STEPHEN OTIS, b. 1579, Glastonbury, Somerset, England; d. 1637, Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts.
3. iii. JOHN OTIS, b. 1581, Barnstable, Glastonbury County, Somerset; d. June 28, 1653, Scituate, Plymouth, MA.
iv. MARGARET OTIS.
v. MARY OTIS.
Generation No. 2
2. STEPHEN2 OTIS (RICHARD1)3 was born 1579 in Glastonbury, Somerset, England, and died 1637 in Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married (1) MARGARET. She was born 1598 in Barnstable, (Prob), Devonshire, Eng, and died June 28, 1653 in Hingham, Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married (2) ELIZABETH3.
The Will of Stephen Otis, dated 1637, was recorded in the Consistorial Episcopal Court of Wells, County of Somerset, England
Children of STEPHEN OTIS and MARGARET are:
i. MARGARET3 OTIS3, b. 1628; m. THOMAS BARTON.
ii. HANNAH OTIS3, b. 1630; m. THOMAS GILL.
Child of STEPHEN OTIS and ELIZABETH is:3. JOHN2 OTIS (RICHARD1)3 was born 1581 in Barnstable, Glastonbury County, Somerset, and died June 28, 1653 in Scituate, Plymouth, MA. He married MARGARET ELIZABETH STREAME 1603 in Glastonbury, England. She was born in Barnstable, Devonshire, England, and died April 29, 1653 in Hingham, Plymouth, MA.
iii. DAUGHTER3 OTIS3.
Children of JOHN OTIS and MARGARET STREAME are:4. RICHARD3 OTIS (JOHN2, RICHARD1)3,4 was born February 27, 1615/16 in Glastonbury, Somerset, England, and died June 28, 1689 in Dover, Strafford, NH. He married (1) ROSE STOUGHTON5 1651 in New England5, daughter of ANTHONY STOUGHTON and AGNES PIERCE. She was born November 01, 1629 in Stoughton, Surrey, England, and died 1676 in Dover, Strafford, NH. He married (2) SUSANNA STARBUCK5 Aft. November 01, 16765, daughter of EDWARD STARBUCK and CATHERINE REYNOLDS. She was born 1648 in Nantucket, Nantucket, Massachusetts, Massachusetts, and died July 03, 1729 in Kittery, York, Maine. He married (3) GRIZZLE WARREN6,7 Abt. 16868, daughter of JAMES WARREN and MARGARET. She was born Abt. 1662 in MA, and died February 23, 1773 in Canada8.
i. ALICIA3 OTIS, b. June 23, 1604.
ii. JOAN OTIS, b. December 15, 1610.
iii. ANN OTIS, b. 1612.
iv. ELIZABETH OTIS, b. November 12, 1614.
4. v. RICHARD OTIS, b. February 27, 1615/16, Glastonbury, Somerset, England; d. June 28, 1689, Dover, Strafford, NH.
vi. HANNAH OTIS, b. 1618.
vii. MARGARET OTIS, b. 1619.
5. viii. JOHN OTIS, b. January 14, 1620/21, Devonshire, England; d. January 16, 1683/84, Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusett.
ix. ANNA OTIS, b. 1625.
x. MARY OTIS, b. 1630.
xi. MERCY OTIS, b. 1634.
Generation No. 3
Notes for RICHARD OTIS: He Gen Dict ME & NH 'blacksmith, adm. inhab. of Boston May 1655, but settled at Dover where he had a grant of land before that year was out. Not in sympathy with the established church and often in court for absence. Administrator of William Lemon 1662 and of James Heard 1677. He admitted the Masonian claims and agreed to pay ground rent for his lands in 1683. His first wife was Rose Stoughton, daughter of Anthony, a strong Puritan, who had come to Boston with her kinsman Israel Stoughton ... On the night of 28 Jun 1689 his garrison was attacked by Indians, admitted by treachery, and he was murdered. Some of his family shared his fate, but his wife, daughters and at least three grandchildren were taken captive. "A Genealogical Memoir of the Family of Richard Otis" -- 1851 -- by Horatio N. Otis. NEHGR for July 1848 & April 1850 has the Genealogy of the Otis Family Descending from John Otis, who emigrated to New England & settled in Hingham, Mass. about 1635.
Notes for ROSE STOUGHTON: The "Otis Memoirs" (pg. 48) shows 7 generations with sources. Sent by her (dying) father to New England with Captain Israel Stoughton of Dorchester, in 1643.
Notes for GRIZZLE WARREN: Grizzle and Christine, aged 3 months, were taken captive to Canada. The child was baptized by the French, who purchased them.
Children of RICHARD OTIS and ROSE STOUGHTON are:
6. i. RICHARD4 OTIS, b. 1651; d. Dover, New Hampshire.
7. ii. STEPHEN OTIS, b. 1652; d. June 26, 1689, Dover, New Hampshire.
iii. ANNE OTIS8, b. 1656; m. THOMAS AUSTIN.
8. iv. NICHOLAS OTIS, b. 1660; d. July 26, 1696, Dover NH.
v. SOLOMON OTIS8, b. October 15, 16638; d. 16648.
vi. EXPERIENCE OTIS8, b. November 07, 16668; d. February 08, 1698/99; m. (1) ROWLAND JENKINS8; m. (2) SAMUEL HEARD8, March 20, 1684/85.
9. vii. JUDITH OTIS, b. 1667; d. 1712.
10. viii. MARTHA/ROSE OTIS, b. 1669, Dover, Stafford, New Hampshire; d. July 06, 1729, Charlesbourg, Quebec County, Prov Of Quebec.
Children of RICHARD OTIS and SUSANNA STARBUCK are:
ix. FRANCOISE ROSE4 OTIS
x. JOHN OTIS, b. 1680, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; d. September 16, 1760.
Children of RICHARD OTIS and GRIZZLE WARREN are:
xi. HANNAH4 OTIS8, b. 1687, Dover NH; d. June 27, 1689, Dover NH.
Notes for HANNAH OTIS: Died at age two in the 1689 Indian attack. Published reports say her head was dashed against the chamber stairs.
11. xii. CHRISTINE OTIS, b. March 06, 1688/89; d. Aft. 1727, Dover, New Hampshire.
5. JOHN3 OTIS (JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born January 14, 1620/21 in Devonshire, England9, and died January 16, 1683/84 in Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusett. He married MARY JACOB 1652 in Hingham, Plymouth, MA, daughter of NICHOLAS JACOB.
Children of JOHN OTIS and MARY JACOB are:
i. ELIZABETH4 OTIS, m. (1) THOMAS ALLYN; m. (2) DAVID LORING.
ii. MARY OTIS, b. May 01, 1653; d. 1653.
12. iii. MARY OTIS, b. March 14, 1654/55.
13. iv. JOHN OTIS, b. November 21, 1657; d. September 23, 1727.
v. HANNAH OTIS, b. 1660.
14. vi. STEPHEN OTIS, b. 1661, Scituate; d. May 26, 1733.
vii. JAMES OTIS10, b. 1663; d. 1690.
Notes for JAMES OTIS: James was in the service of Sir William Phips against Quebec, and served in Captain Ephraim Hunt's company in 1690, whre he was killed. Before enlisting, he made his will, August 3 of that year. His brother Stephen was executor and to him he gave most of his estate, and a portion to his youngest brother Job, when he comes of age, and a small sum to William Chard the School Master.
15. viii. JOSEPH OTIS, b. June 03, 1666, Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts; d. June 11, 1754, Montville, New London, Connecticut.
16. ix. JOB OTIS, b. March 20, 1676/77, Scituate, MA; d. 1758.
Generation No. 4
6. RICHARD4 OTIS (RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)10 was born 165111, and died in Dover, New Hampshire. He married SUSANNA HUSSEY12.
Notes for RICHARD OTIS: Became a Quaker. Wounded by the Indians July 26, 1696 when his brother Nicholas was killed.
Children of RICHARD OTIS and SUSANNA HUSSEY are:7. STEPHEN4 OTIS (RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)13 was born 165213, and died June 26, 1689 in Dover, New Hampshire. He married MARY PITMAN14 April 16, 1674, daughter of WILLIAM PITMAN and BARBARA EVANS. She was born November 15, 1657.
i. ROSE5 OTIS.
ii. REBECCA OTIS, b. July 11, 1696.
iii. STEPHEN OTIS, b. August 22, 169812.
iv. NICHOLAS OTIS, b. April 08, 170112.
Notes for STEPHEN OTIS: Individual Narrative of Stephen Otis: The family was taken captive by Indians. Stephen Otis died on 28 June 1689 in Indian attack. His wife's name does not appear again, she may have shared the same fate.
Children of STEPHEN OTIS and MARY PITMAN are:
i. JOSEPH5 OTIS, b. 1675; m. LOUISE WOBART HUBBARD.
17. ii. MARY OTIS, b. 1675.
iii. STEPHEN OTIS, b. 1676.
Notes for STEPHEN OTIS: Stephen, taken captive in 1689 and named Joseph Marie as a Catholic convert in Canada. He married Louse 'Arel' Living in Quebec in 1710 when he conveyed to his brother Paul all rights in New England. Probably late living in Lorette where his descendants became Huron Tribesmen.
iv. ROSE OTIS, b. 1678. (known as FRANCOIS ROSE, taken captive by Indians in attack of 1689, and taken to France, married JEAN POTEVIN)
v. NATHANIEL PAUL OTIS, b. 1682; d. December 26, 1730; m. ELIZABETH HUBBARD, November 03, 1710.
Notes for NATHANIEL PAUL OTIS: Nathaniel, also an Indian captive convert, took name of Paule. He married 1st in Quebec 3 Nov 1710 Marie Elizabeth Wabert ([daughter of] Michael Webber of Casco), who died ab 9 Sep 1720; married 2d 20 Oct 1721 Madeleine Toupin who d. Oct 1722; marr 3d 19 Sept 1728 widow Marie Ann (Perthius) Carr. He died, a master cooper in Montreal, ag ab 46 24 Dec 1720. He had released his int. to his fathers brother-in-law Ebenezer Varney in 1714.
vi. JOHN OTIS, b. 1684; d. 1762; m. DOROTHY JOYCE, December 19, 1717.
8. NICHOLAS4 OTIS (RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)15 was born 1660, and died July 26, 1696 in Dover NH. He married JOYCE.
Notes for NICHOLAS OTIS: Killed by Indians in attack on family.
Child of NICHOLAS OTIS and JOYCE is:
i. NICHOLAS5 OTIS.
Notes for NICHOLAS OTIS: Carried captive to Penobscot, by Indians. Released in a short time, but didn't live long.
9. JUDITH4 OTIS (RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)15 was born 1667, and died 1712. She married ENSIGN JOHN TUTTLE, JR.15, son of JOHN TUTTLE and JOAN ANTROBUS. He was born Bef. March 21, 1633/34 in England.
Notes for JUDITH OTIS: Taken captive by Indians 28 Jun 1689, and rescued later.
Notes for ENSIGN JOHN TUTTLE, JR.: John held several public offices, and was ensign of the Dover military company. He lived on the west side of Back river, about a mile from his father, on his grandfather's farm. He owned a large tract of land in the parish of Somersworth and another at Tole End. On May 7, 1712, when he was attending to some business at his mill on the upper falls of Cochecho, with his eldest son, he was suddenly attacked by some Indians and slain. His son Thomas escaped. At the time of the massacre at Dover, in 1689, his wife's father, her brother and her sister, were killed and the garrison burned by the Indians, while she and two sisters were carried away. The party was overtaken after a time by the soldiers at Conway and the three prisoners rescued. When John Tuttle was killed he left his wife with six children, the oldest only fourteen years of age.
Children of JUDITH OTIS and JOHN TUTTLE are:
i. MARY5 TUTTLE, b. January 07, 1697/98.
ii. THOMAS TUTTLE, b. March 15, 1699/00.
iii. JUDITH TUTTLE, b. May 10, 1702, Dover, NH.
iv. JOHN TUTTLE, b. May 08, 1704.
v. DOROTHY TUTTLE, b. March 21, 1705/06.
vi. NICHOLAS TUTTLE16, b. July 27, 1708; d. 1793; m. (1) DEBORAH HUNT; m. (2) BERTHA DAVIS.
vii. JAMES TUTTLE, b. February 09, 1710/11.
10. MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS (RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)17 was born 1669 in Dover, Stafford, New Hampshire, and died July 06, 1729 in Charlesbourg, Quebec County, Prov Of Quebec. She married JOHN PINKHAM17 Bef. June 167417, son of RICHARD PINKHAM and JULIA GYLIAN. He was born Abt. 1644 in Dover (?)17, and died Aft. 1763 in Dover18,19.
Children of MARTHA/ROSE OTIS and JOHN PINKHAM are:
i. ROSE5 PINKHAM19, m. THOMAS CANNEY19, 2nd Marriage19; b. Dover Neck, Strafford, NH.
ii. ELIZABETH PINKHAM19, m. SAMUEL NUTE19, March 18, 1718/19, Dover, NH (by James Davis, Just. of Peace)20,21; b. Abt. 168021; d. Abt. 176521.
iii. SARAH PINKHAM21, m. JOSEPH AUSTIN21, Bef. 172821.
18. iv. THOMAS PINKHAM, d. Aft. 1737.
19. v. SOLOMON PINKHAM, b. Abt. 1680; d. Aft. 1763.
20. vi. AMOS PINKHAM, b. Abt. 1683; d. Aft. 1762.
21. vii. JAMES PINKHAM, b. 1687; d. Abt. 1760.
22. viii. OTIS PINKHAM, b. Abt. 1700, Dover NH; d. Abt. 1763, Dover NH.
ix. JOHN PINKHAM21, b. Unknown21.
11. CHRISTINE4 OTIS (RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)22 was born March 06, 1688/8923, and died Aft. 1727 in Dover, New Hampshire23. She married (1) CAPT. THOMAS BAKER24 in her 2nd marriage25, son of LIEUT. BAKER and SARAH HOLLISTER. He was born May 14, 1682, and died 1752 in Brookfield. She married (2) LOUIS LE BEAU25 June 14, 1707 in Ville-Marie,Canada25.
Children of CHRISTINE OTIS and CAPT. BAKER are:
23. i. CHARLES5 BAKER, b. 1721; d. 1784.
24. ii. OTIS BAKER, b. 1727; d. 1801.
Child of CHRISTINE OTIS and LOUIS LE BEAU is:
iii. LE BEAU525, d. Abt. 1727, Quebec, Canada25; m. ?25.
12. MARY4 OTIS (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born March 14, 1654/55. She married LIEUTENANT COLONEL JOHN GORHAM, son of GORHAM and DESIRE HOWLAND.
Child of MARY OTIS and JOHN GORHAM is:
25. i. MARY5 GORHAM, b. 1680.
13. JOHN4 OTIS (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)26 was born November 21, 1657, and died September 23, 1727. He married MERCY BACON26 July 18, 1683, daughter of NATHANAEL BACON.
Notes for JOHN OTIS: He was a representative for 20 years, and after that 21 years of the Council. Father of the eloquent James and H.C. Otis.
Children of JOHN OTIS and MERCY BACON are:
i. MARY5 OTIS, b. December 10, 1685.
ii. JOHN OTIS, b. January 14, 1687/88.
iii. NATHANIEL OTIS, b. May 28, 1690.
iv. MERCY OTIS, b. October 15, 1692.
v. SOLOMON OTIS, b. October 13, 1696.
vi. JAMES OTIS26, b. June 14, 1702.
Notes for JAMES OTIS: In 1743, he was a prime mover of the American Revolution.
vii. H.C. OTIS, b. 1707.
viii. H.C. OTIS, b. 1717.
14. STEPHEN4 OTIS (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)26 was born 1661 in Scituate, and died May 26, 1733. He married HANNAH ENSIGN26 1685, daughter of JOHN ENSIGN. She died May 01, 1729.
Notes for STEPHEN OTIS: His will was dated 1729. In 1825, sixteen of those named in his will had graduated from Harvard.
Children of STEPHEN OTIS and HANNAH ENSIGN are:
i. HANNAH5 OTIS26, b. May 16, 1686.
ii. MARY OTIS26, b. July 07, 1689.
iii. ENSIGN OTIS, b. 1691.
iv. JOHN OTIS, b. 1694.
v. STEPHEN OTIS, b. November 03, 1697.
vi. ISAAC OTIS, b. 1699.
vii. JOSEPH OTIS, b. 1709.
viii. JOSHUA OTIS, b. 1711.
15. JOSEPH4 OTIS (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born June 03, 1666 in Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, and died June 11, 1754 in Montville, New London, Connecticut. He married DOROTHY THOMAS27 November 20, 1688 in Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, daughter of NATHANIEL THOMAS and DEBORAH JACOB. She was born November 06, 1670 in Hingham, Marshfield, Massachusetts;, and died January 10, 1755 in Scituate, Plymouth, Massachussetts.
Children of JOSEPH OTIS and DOROTHY THOMAS are:
26. i. NATHANIEL5 OTIS, b. January 30, 1689/90, Scituate, MA; d. April 15, 1771.
ii. JAMES OTIS, b. January 21, 1692/93; m. MARY ALLYN.
iii. DEBORAH OTIS, b. April 24, 1694.
iv. MARY OTIS, b. March 20, 1695/96.
v. DOROTHY OTIS, b. April 24, 1698.
vi. ELIZABETH OTIS, b. September 02, 1700.
vii. ANN OTIS, b. September 21, 1702; m. ROBERT CLEVELAND.
viii. BETHIA OTIS, b. November 20, 1703.
ix. DELIGHT OTIS, b. December 19, 1706, Scituate, Plymouth, Massachussetts; d. October 25, 1747, Norwich, New London, CT; m. JABEZ LATHROP, May 30, 1734, Norwich, New London, CT.
x. HANNAH OTIS, b. December 10, 1709, Scituate, Plymouth, Massachussetts; d. 1726; m. JABEZ LATHROP.
xi. JOSEPH OTIS, b. October 01, 1712.
xii. RACHEL OTIS, b. December 01, 1713.
16. JOB4 OTIS (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)28 was born March 20, 1676/77 in Scituate, MA, and died 1758. He married MARY LITTLE28.
Children of JOB OTIS and MARY LITTLE are:17. MARY5 OTIS (STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1675. She married EBENEZER VARNEY 1692, son of HUMPHREY VARNEY and SARAH STARBUCK. He was born September 05, 1664, and died November 1753 in Dover, New Hampshire.
i. JOB5 OTIS.
27. ii. EPHRAIM OTIS, b. Scituate, MA.
iii. DAVID OTIS.
Generation No. 5
Notes for MARY OTIS: Mary was also taken in the Indian attack. How she returned to marry Ebenezer Varney is still a mystery
Notes for EBENEZER VARNEY: "...and like his father became a man of influence and substance...during the Indian troubles which accompanied the wars between the English and French powers, his house was strongly fortified and called Varney garrison house, and history states that it frequetly afforded safe refuge for the families of the locality against the incursions of marauding Indians..."
Children of MARY OTIS and EBENEZER VARNEY are:
i. MARY6 VARNEY, b. April 06, 1693; d. September 18, 1736, Dover, Strafford NH; m. WILLIAM HORN, October 17, 1713.
ii. SARAH VARNEY, b. November 10, 1695; m. (1) SAMUEL GASKILL; b. Salem; m. (2) MICHAEL KENNARD, December 21, 1734.
28. iii. ABIGAIL VARNEY, b. April 22, 1699; d. March 03, 1766.
iv. JOHN VARNEY, b. November 15, 1701; d. 1772; m. SARAH ROBINSON, March 26, 1723; b. October 03, 1702, Dover, Strafford County, NH.
29. v. EBENEZER VARNEY, JR., b. March 31, 1704, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; d. November 30, 1776.
vi. NATHANIEL VARNEY, b. March 17, 1705/06; d. June 09, 1776; m. CONTENT GASKILL, 1727, Salem, Massachusettes.
30. vii. THOMAS VARNEY, b. April 07, 1708; d. 1763.
viii. SAMUEL VARNEY, b. April 02, 1712; d. October 16, 1759, Dover, Strafford NH; m. MARY VARNEY, June 30, 1736.
ix. MARTHA VARNEY, b. March 18, 1712/13; m. JOHN TWOMBLY, JR., October 30, 1734.
x. PAUL VARNEY, b. March 18, 1714/15; d. January 19, 1782, Dover; m. ELIZABETH MUSSEY, July 02, 1742.
xi. ANNE VARNEY, b. July 06, 1718; d. December 13, 1780, Dover NH; m. SOLOMON HANSON, December 02, 1741.
xii. STEPHEN VARNEY, b. November 07, 1697; d. March 21, 1771, Dover NH; m. MERCY HANSON29, August 07, 1721, Dover, New Hampshire; b. August 04, 1699; d. 1790.
xiii. JUDITH VARNEY, b. April 11, 1710, Dover, Strafford County, NH; d. Bef. October 1750; m. TOBIAS HANSON, December 27, 1726; b. March 1701/02; d. August 27, 1765, Dover, Strafford County, NH.
18. THOMAS5 PINKHAM (MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)30 was born 30, and died Aft. 173730. He married MERCY ALLEN30 December 02, 1700 in Dover, NH31,32, daughter of ISAAC ALDEN and MEHITABEL ALLEN. was born 32, and died 32.
Children of THOMAS PINKHAM and MERCY ALLEN are:
i. RICHARD6 PINKHAM323232, m. ABIGAIL32; b. 32; d. 32.
31. ii. EBENEZER PINKHAM, b. March 31, 1712, Dover NH; d. January 08, 1762, Harpswell (Merryconeag) ME.
32. iii. BENJAMIN PINKHAM, b. 1717, Dover Point, NH; d. March 02, 1792, Boothbay, ME.
iv. JOSEPH PINKHAM32, b. Aft. 171733,34; d. Unknown34; m. (1) ELIZABETH ?34; b. Unknown34; d. Unknown34; m. (2) ELIZABETH.
v. SOLOMON PINKHAM34, b. Abt. 172034; d. Unknown34.
vi. MARTHA PINKHAM34, b. April 07, 1737, Dover NH; d. December 18, 1818, Boothbay Harbor ME; m. JOSEPH GILES34, 1757, Dover(?), NH34; b. October 06, 1735, Dover NH; d. September 06, 1822, Boothbay Harbor ME.
vii. SARAH PINKHAM34, b. Unknown34; d. Unknown34.
viii. MARY PINKHAM34, b. Unknown34; d. Unknown34.
19. SOLOMON5 PINKHAM (MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)34 was born Abt. 168034, and died Aft. 176334. He married MARY FIELD34 December 13, 1706 in Madbury, NH (by Rev. John Pike)35,36, daughter of LIEUT. FIELD and SARAH ROBERTS. She was born Unknown36, and died Aft. 1739.
Children of SOLOMON PINKHAM and MARY FIELD are:
i. STEPHEN6 PINKHAM36, d. Aft. 177536; m. MARY ?36, Bef. 174036.
ii. SOLOMON PINKHAM36, b. Aft. 170636; m. HANNAH PINKHAM36; b. January 10, 1713/1436; d. Aft. 173936.
20. AMOS5 PINKHAM (MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)36 was born Abt. 168336, and died Aft. 176236. He married (1) KATHERINE. She died May 22, 1709. He married (2) KATHERINE ?36 Bef. 170936. She died May 22, 170936. He married (3) ELIZABETH SMITH36 Aft. 170936, daughter of JOSEPH SMITH and ELIZABETH BICKFORD.
Children of AMOS PINKHAM and ELIZABETH SMITH are:
i. HANNAH6 PINKHAM36, b. January 10, 1713/1436; d. Aft. 173936; m. SOLOMON PINKHAM36; b. Aft. 170636.
ii. JOANNA PINKHAM36, b. August 11, 171836.
22. OTIS5 PINKHAM (MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)36 was born Abt. 1700 in Dover NH, and died Abt. 1763 in Dover NH. He married ABIGAIL TEBBETTS36 September 22, 172136, daughter of EPHRAIM TEBBETTS and ROSE AUSTIN. She was born August 12, 1700 in Dover NH, and died Abt. 1763 in Dover NH.
Children of OTIS PINKHAM and ABIGAIL TEBBETTS are:
i. SAMUEL6 PINKHAM36, b. September 26, 1722, Dover NH; m. SUSANNAH CANNEY36.
ii. ANN PINKHAM36, b. April 30, 1724, Dover NH.
34. iii. ROSE PINKHAM, b. March 18, 1725/26.
35. iv. PAUL PINKHAM, b. May 03, 1730; d. March 16, 1819.
36. v. ABIJAH PINKHAM, b. February 09, 1733/34, Dover Neck NH; d. March 03, 1779, Dover Neck NH.
37. vi. JOHN PINKHAM, b. August 29, 1739, Dover Neck NH; d. August 14, 1815, Dover NH.
23. CHARLES5 BAKER (CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1721, and died 1784. He married (1) LOVE. He married (2) MARY CARR.
Children of CHARLES BAKER and MARY CARR are:
38. i. CHARLES6 BAKER.
39. ii. THOMAS BAKER, d. Wolfborough NH.
iii. DOUGLAS BAKER, b. 1762; d. 1844; m. MARY BAGLEY.
iv. MOSES BAKER, b. 1766; d. 1847; m. SARAH THOMAS.
40. v. DANIEL BAKER, b. 1766.
24. OTIS5 BAKER (CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1727, and died 1801. He married (1) LYDIA WENTWORTH. He married (2) TAMSEN TWOMBLY.
Notes for OTIS BAKER: Member of the Provincial House of Representatives at Portsmouth, NH. Representative to the Revolutionary Legislature at Exeter; one of the Judges of the Court of Common Pleas; elected State Senator in 1785.
Children of OTIS BAKER and TAMSEN TWOMBLY are:
41. i. EBENEZER6 BAKER, b. 1760; d. 1834.
ii. JAMES CHELSEY BAKER, b. 1768; d. 1810; m. SALLY HORNE.
42. iii. OTIS BAKER, b. 1776.
25. MARY5 GORHAM (MARY4 OTIS, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1680. She married JOSEPH HINCKLEY 1699. He was born 1672 in Barnstable, MA, and died 1753.
Child of MARY GORHAM and JOSEPH HINCKLEY is:
43. i. MERCY6 HINCKLEY, b. 1707.
26. NATHANIEL5 OTIS (JOSEPH4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born January 30, 1689/90 in Scituate, MA, and died April 15, 1771. He married HANNAH THATCHER. She was born 1689, and died May 06, 1780.
Child of NATHANIEL OTIS and HANNAH THATCHER is:
44. i. JOHN6 OTIS, b. April 01, 1728, Colchester CT; d. October 24, 1824.
27. EPHRAIM5 OTIS (JOB4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)37 was born in Scituate, MA. He married RACHEL HERSY. She was born in Hingham MA.
Children of EPHRAIM OTIS and RACHEL HERSY are:
i. CHARLES6 OTIS.
ii. JAMES OTIS.
45. iii. EPHRAIM OTIS, b. 1753; d. 1816.
Generation No. 6
28. ABIGAIL6 VARNEY (MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born April 22, 1699, and died March 03, 1766. She married WILLIAM FRYE, JR. September 15, 1724.
Children of ABIGAIL VARNEY and WILLIAM FRYE are:29. EBENEZER6 VARNEY, JR. (MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born March 31, 1704 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire, and died November 30, 1776. He married ELIZABETH HANSON February 24, 1728/29 in Dover, New Hampshire, daughter of JOHN HANSON and ELIZABETH MEADER. She was born November 13, 1710 in Dover, New Hampshire, and died 1759.
i. EBENEZER7 FRYE.
ii. JOHN FRYE.
iii. MARTHA FRYE, b. September 05, 1726; d. 1765; m. MUSSEY GOLD, September 28, 1751.
iv. HANNAH FRYE, b. October 06, 1729; d. March 04, 1754; m. ELIJAH JENKINS.
v. MARY FRYE, b. March 07, 1736/37; m. OTIS VARNEY.
vi. ABIGAIL FRYE, b. March 20, 1740/41; d. 1790; m. JOSEPH MEADER, June 24, 1767.
Children of EBENEZER VARNEY and ELIZABETH HANSON are:
i. ABIGAIL7 VARNEY, b. 1730.
ii. EBENEZER VARNEY, b. 1732; d. March 13, 1802, Rochester, New Hampshire; m. MARY HUSSEY, 1754, Rochester, New Hampsh.
iii. JEDEDIAH VARNEY, b. 1732.
iv. THOMAS VARNEY, b. 1734; d. August 11, 1796; m. MARY CANNEY, October 21, 1772.
v. HANSON VARNEY, b. 1734.
vi. ABIGAIL VARNEY, b. 1735; m. JAMES HANSON, November 24, 1756.
46. vii. NICHOLAS VARNEY, b. February 21, 1738/39; d. November 28, 1764, Falmouth, Cumberland ME.
viii. SUSANNAH VARNEY, b. May 20, 1744; m. BENJAMIN AUSTIN, November 28, 1759.
ix. JOHN VARNEY, b. 1747; d. November 22, 1790; m. MIRIAM HANSON, May 29, 1782.
x. HANSON VARNEY38, b. 1750; d. October 29, 1815; m. ELIZABETH JENKINS38, December 04, 1777; b. January 26, 1758, Berwick, ME.
xi. ISAAC VARNEY, b. 1752; d. August 23, 1826; m. LYDIA HANSON, October 29, 1777.
xii. HANNAH VARNEY, b. June 30, 1754.
xiii. JEDEDIAH VARNEY, b. 1731; d. November 25, 1799; m. MARY HANSON.
30. THOMAS6 VARNEY (MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born April 07, 1708, and died 1763. He married DOROTHY MARTIN.
Children of THOMAS VARNEY and DOROTHY MARTIN are:
i. HULDAH7 VARNEY, m. BENJAMIN WINSLOW.
ii. ELIZABETH VARNEY, b. 1729.
iii. ZACCHEUS VARNEY, b. 1731.
iv. EZEKIEL VARNEY, b. 1733.
v. THOMAS VARNEY, b. 1735.
vi. EZEKIEL VARNEY, b. 1736; m. SUSANNA HANSON.
vii. ZACCHEUS VARNEY, b. 1738; m. MARGARET BROCK.
viii. MARY VARNEY, b. 1740.
ix. MARTHA VARNEY, b. 1742; m. ELIJAH HANSON.
x. THOMAS VARNEY, b. 1744; m. HULDAH HANSON.
xi. SARAH VARNEY, b. 1756.
31. EBENEZER6 PINKHAM (THOMAS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)39 was born March 31, 1712 in Dover NH, and died January 08, 1762 in Harpswell (Merryconeag) ME. He married SARAH AUSTIN39 November 27, 1736 in Dover, NH39, daughter of NATHANIEL AUSTIN and CATHERINE NEAL. She was born September 14, 1719 in Dover NH, and died February 19, 1802 in Harpswell (Merryconeag) ME.
Child of EBENEZER PINKHAM and SARAH AUSTIN is:
47. i. ELIJAH7 PINKHAM, b. September 18, 1750, Harpswell ME; d. September 10, 1853, China ME.
33. DANIEL6 PINKHAM (JAMES5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)39 was born 1754 in NH39, and died Abt. 1787. He married (1) PATIENCE HAM39 1780 in Madbury, NH39. She died 1822 in Portsmouth, NH39. He married (2) PATIENCE HAMBY 1780 in Strafford, Madbury NH40. She died 1822 in Portsmouth NH.
Notes for DANIEL PINKHAM: His line of descent and ancestry is very detailed and documented in "Pinkham Genealogy" pages 228-240. His grandson, Isaac, married Lydia Estes, later famous as Lydia Pinkham for her medicinal compound. Died at sea.
Child of DANIEL PINKHAM and PATIENCE HAMBY is:
49. i. DANIEL7 PINKHAM, d. Abt. 1841, Saugus, MA.
34. ROSE6 PINKHAM (OTIS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)41 was born March 18, 1725/26. She married JAMES TUTTLE41 in 1st Marriage41, son of CAPT. TUTTLE and MARY. He was born April 07, 168342,43, and died May 15, 170944,45.
Children of ROSE PINKHAM and JAMES TUTTLE are:
i. PHEBE7 TUTTLE45, b. September 26, 170645; d. June 23, 177445; m. MOSES VARNEY45, March 26, 172846,47; b. Unknown47; d. Bef. 176547.
ii. ELIJAH TUTTLE47, b. May 14, 170848,49; d. October 23, 178750,51; m. ESTHER VARNEY51; b. 51; d. 51.
35. PAUL6 PINKHAM (OTIS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)51 was born May 03, 173051, and died March 16, 181951. He married ROSE AUSTIN51, daughter of JOSEPH AUSTIN.
Children of PAUL PINKHAM and ROSE AUSTIN are:
i. NICHOLAS7 PINKHAM51, b. March 11, 175551; d. October 01, 177051.
50. ii. JOSEPH PINKHAM, b. August 14, 1757; d. February 27, 1845.
38. CHARLES6 BAKER (CHARLES5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) He married EUNICE ALLEN.
Child of CHARLES BAKER and EUNICE ALLEN is:
i. DANIEL7 BAKER.
39. THOMAS6 BAKER (CHARLES5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) died in Wolfborough NH. He married MARY ALLARD.
Children of THOMAS BAKER and MARY ALLARD are:
i. THOMAS7 BAKER.
ii. CHARLES BAKER.
iii. JONATHAN BAKER.
iv. JOHN BAKER.
v. BENJAMIN BAKER.
40. DANIEL6 BAKER (CHARLES5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1766. He married BETSEY CLEMENT.
Children of DANIEL BAKER and BETSEY CLEMENT are:
i. IRA7 BAKER, b. 1798; m. BETSEY HANSCOM.
ii. JOHN BAKER, b. 1804; m. ELIZA ROBERTS.
41. EBENEZER6 BAKER (OTIS5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1760, and died 1834. He married MARY CONNER.
Children of EBENEZER BAKER and MARY CONNER are:
52. i. SHARRINGTON7 BAKER, b. 1795.
53. ii. SAMUEL WALLINGFORD BAKER, b. 1800.
42. OTIS6 BAKER (OTIS5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1776. He married LOIS TWOMBLY.
Child of OTIS BAKER and LOIS TWOMBLY is:
i. JOHN7 BAKER, m. TWOMBLY.
43. MERCY6 HINCKLEY (MARY5 GORHAM, MARY4 OTIS, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1707. She married JOHN BOURNE 1722. He was born 1698.
Child of MERCY HINCKLEY and JOHN BOURNE is:
54. i. ELIZABETH7 BOURNE, b. 1731.
44. JOHN6 OTIS (NATHANIEL5, JOSEPH4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born April 01, 1728 in Colchester CT, and died October 24, 1824. He married PRUDENCE TAINTER December 20, 1750. She was born August 20, 1729, and died June 17, 1823.
Child of JOHN OTIS and PRUDENCE TAINTER is:
55. i. JOHN FOOTE7 OTIS, b. June 06, 1767, Colchester CT; d. March 02, 1845.
45. EPHRAIM6 OTIS (EPHRAIM5, JOB4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1753, and died 1816. He married SARAH HARRIS.
Notes for EPHRAIM OTIS: He was a surgeon in the army during the French and Indian war, and was one of the few who escaped the massacre of Fort William Henry, upon its surrender to the French and Indians in 1756. He afterwards settled at Scituate, his native place. He was a man of refined and gentlemanly manners, sound judgment, and decision of character. He accumulated a handsome property by his practice as a physician, the most of which he lost by loaning it to government, during the Revolution during which he was a strong and uncompromising whig. He was a graduate of Harvard University.
Children of EPHRAIM OTIS and SARAH HARRIS are:46. NICHOLAS7 VARNEY (EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born February 21, 1738/39, and died November 28, 1764 in Falmouth, Cumberland ME. He married MARY ESTES, daughter of EDWARD ESTES and PATIENCE CARR. She was born September 29, 1743.
i. EPHRAIM7 OTIS.
ii. GEORGE A. OTIS.
iii. JOB OTIS.
iv. DAVID OTIS.
56. v. HARRIS OTIS, b. 1775, Scituate, MA; d. August 08, 1847.
Generation No. 7
Children of NICHOLAS VARNEY and MARY ESTES are:
i. CARR8 VARNEY, b. July 22, 1773; m. ANNA TUTTLE.
ii. PATIENCE VARNEY, b. November 05, 1775; d. February 19, 1843, Palmyra ME; m. REUBEN TUTTLE.
57. iii. MARY ANN VARNEY, b. October 12, 1783; d. January 01, 1870.
51. EDWARD (EDMUND)7 PINKHAM (JOHN6, OTIS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)55 was born October 03, 1767 in Dover NH, and died December 17, 1860 in Casco ME. He married MIRIAM GOULD55, daughter of MUZZEY GOULD and ELIZABETH ROBBINS. She was born March 27, 1772 in Dover, NH55, and died March 01, 1865 in Casco ME.
Children of EDWARD PINKHAM and MIRIAM GOULD are:
i. RHODA8 PINKHAM55, b. July 04, 1799, Raymond, ME56,57; d. October 07, 1881, Casco ME; m. ELIJAH JEPSON57, November 18, 1838, Raymond, ME58,59; b. August 09, 1781, Berwick, ME59; d. August 05, 1866, Casco, ME59.
63. ii. TIMOTHY ROBINSON PINKHAM, b. November 28, 1801, Dover NH; d. February 27, 1882, Casco ME.
64. iii. REV. ISAIAH PINKHAM, b. August 10, 1803, Dover NH; d. March 15, 1884, Lynn MA.
iv. ENOCH PINKHAM59, b. May 29, 180559; d. January 08, 1899, Oxford ME; m. ELIZA S. RICH59; b. April 19, 1804, Monmouth ME; d. January 28, 189059.
v. REV JOHN PINKHAM59, b. January 25, 180860,61; d. January 18, 1882, Casco ME; m. BETSY HILL61, Abt. 183061; b. January 24, 1802, Naples ME; d. January 18, 1888, Poland ME.
65. vi. ELIJAH PINKHAM, b. June 22, 1811; d. May 01, 1851, Lewiston ME.
vii. PHOEBE PINKHAM61, b. April 22, 1814, Raymond ME; d. January 25, 190362,63; m. JOHN BATTY63; b. May 11, 1809, England63; d. November 17, 1873, Casco ME.
66. viii. OTIS PINKHAM, b. September 29, 1816, Raymond ME; d. February 10, 1844, Casco ME.
52. SHARRINGTON7 BAKER (EBENEZER6, OTIS5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1795. He married MARY ANN VARNEY.
Children of SHARRINGTON BAKER and MARY VARNEY are:
i. SAMUEL8 BAKER, b. 1823.
ii. JOHN C. BAKER, b. 1828.
iii. ASA BAKER, b. 1831.
iv. GEORGE E. BAKER, b. 1837.
v. EBENEZER BAKER, b. 1841.
53. SAMUEL WALLINGFORD7 BAKER (EBENEZER6, OTIS5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1800. He married DESDEMONA CUSHMAN.
Child of SAMUEL BAKER and DESDEMONA CUSHMAN is:
67. i. WILLIAM SPOFFARD8 BAKER, b. 1823.
54. ELIZABETH7 BOURNE (MERCY6 HINCKLEY, MARY5 GORHAM, MARY4 OTIS, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1731. She married CAPTAIN JONATHAN SWIFT. He was born 1730, and died 1763.
Child of ELIZABETH BOURNE and JONATHAN SWIFT is:
68. i. ABIGAIL8 SWIFT, b. 1757; d. 1811.
55. JOHN FOOTE7 OTIS (JOHN6, NATHANIEL5, JOSEPH4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born June 06, 1767 in Colchester CT, and died March 02, 1845. He married ELIZABETH H. HAMMOND August 08, 1831. She was born November 06, 1801, and died December 27, 1880.
Child of JOHN OTIS and ELIZABETH HAMMOND is:
i. JOHN JAMES8 OTIS64, b. December 11, 1836; d. July 22, 1924; m. EUDORA S. DAVEL, June 29, 1866; b. January 07, 1842; d. March 21, 1910.
56. HARRIS7 OTIS (EPHRAIM6, EPHRAIM5, JOB4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)65 was born 1775 in Scituate, MA, and died August 08, 1847. He married SARAH ROGERS66 1795. She was born 1779, and died May 24, 1864.
Notes for HARRIS OTIS: He was a graduate in the medical science, having chosen the profession when quite young, and passed through a thorough course of preparatory training. The place where he lived not offering sufficient inducements to a man of his profession, he sought a home in a new country, being then less than twenty years of age. Dr. Otis was the third physician who came to Danby, which then presented rare advantages, there being then over twelve hundred inhabitants. Although with this population the town was comparatively a wilderness, and physicians were often obliged, in visiting their patients, to travel over half made roads, and by marked trees, through storms, by night and day, sometimes encountering wild beasts, and fording streams at the hazard of their lives. Dr. Otis experienced all these difficulties during the first years of settlement. For the first two years he hired his board here. In 1795 he married Sarah, daughter of Stephen Rogers. Although having been regularly educated as a physician, his inclinations led him to farming, and he became a distinguished farmer, and left at his death, one of the largest fortunes ever accumulated in town. He was a well educated man, of superior mind, accurate scholarship, and of most amiable spirit. In refined life he belonged to the gentlemen of the old school, with a keen relish of good breeding, and all the properties of refined life. He was rightly and truly educated, with a conscience sensitively alive to the destinction between right and wrong. In the use of language great care and government was exercised, and by his courteous bearing as a gentleman, he uniformly won the respect of all. No man ever exercised a better influence over his family, or children ever receive a more gentle training than his, and in respectful remembrance it may be truly said, as a kind and faithful husband and parent, his loss was deeply felt; as a sincere and generous friend he will be long recollected; as a citizen he was ever prepared and willing to be useful. He possessed a warm and feeling heart; was distinguished by a cheerful temper and unreserved in his daily intercourse. He was independent in his judgements and fearless in his declarations, and firm in the support of what he felt to be right. Dr. Otis was early initiated into the affairs and interests of the town, and his talent and ability was often called into requisition. He was for many years one of the members of the board for the examination and inspection of schools, and teachers, and no man ever took a more lively interest in the cause of education. He was lister four years; tythingman five years and auditor several years, positions to which men of most solid talent were usually called. He possessed a versatility of character, which prepared him to fill these varied offices with credit to himself and benefit to the town, always exhibiting sound judgement and discrimination. He was a Quaker and one of the leading and influential members of the society. In 1828 when the division among the Friends occurred in this town, he became an Orthodox and was mainly instrumental in building a new church. His moral and religious life was always exemplary, and few men of so long a life have uniformly sustained an equally unblemished and spotless reputation. In the performance of all his duties, he was ever actuated by obvious christian principle, and he was held in high esteem for his christian virtues. He was a grand, large hearted, great souled man, incapable of a petty act or thought, strong and resolute when those qualities were needed, and with a great overflowing current of tenderness passing through his veins. Although having devoted the better part of his life to agriculture, yet as a learned physician, he built up and sustained a wide reputation. His prompt and kind attention to the calls of his patients together with their confidence in his skill and integrity, acquired for him great popularity, and an extensive and lucrative practice. His great scientific attainments, rigid morals, and genuine piety gave him an exalted rank in society, and as a physician, scholar and gentleman, he will long be remembered.
Children of HARRIS OTIS and SARAH ROGERS are:57. MARY ANN8 VARNEY (NICHOLAS7, EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born October 12, 1783, and died January 01, 1870. She married JONATHAN ESTES September 10, 1812, son of SIMEON ESTES and HANNAH AUSTIN. He was born March 31, 1780, and died January 30, 1864.
i. STEPHEN8 OTIS, b. 1796.
ii. EPHRAIM OTIS, b. 1798.
iii. WILLIAM OTIS, b. 1800.
iv. ELIZABETH OTIS, b. 1809.
v. MARY H. OTIS, b. 1813.
vi. GEORGE OTIS, b. 1815.
69. vii. HARRISON F. OTIS, b. 1816; d. 1861.
Generation No. 8
Children of MARY VARNEY and JONATHAN ESTES are:
i. JOSEPH9 ESTES, b. August 28, 1813; d. March 09, 1868; m. SYBIL DUNHAM, April 27, 1837.
ii. VALENTINE M. ESTES, b. December 20, 1814; d. August 08, 1886; m. (1) LOVIANA COOK; m. (2) LOUISA T. ROWE.
iii. CYRUS ESTES, b. October 06, 1816; m. (1) MARY V. WINSLOW; b. January 20, 1819; m. (2) PHOEBE WING, June 01, 1842; b. March 12, 1801.
iv. JOHN ESTES III, b. July 17, 1818; m. MARY ANN KITCHIN.
v. ELIZABETH ESTES, b. May 02, 1820; d. January 27, 1843, China, Kennebec ME.
vi. SIMEON ESTES, b. December 20, 1821; d. April 05, 1843, China, Kennebec ME.
70. vii. MARY ANNE ESTES, b. December 07, 1824, China ME; d. August 08, 1901, Casco, Cumberland ME.
viii. JONATHAN ESTES, b. November 21, 1827; m. (1) EUNICE WING, June 20, 1851; m. (2) JULIA. A. WARDSWORTH, May 08, 1856; b. June 18, 1826.
ix. ISAIAH CARR ESTES, b. July 15, 1830; d. February 11, 1875.
60. ISAAC8 PINKHAM (DANIEL7, DANIEL6, JAMES5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)68 was born December 25, 1815 in Portsmouth, NH69, and died February 22, 1889 in Salem, MA at home of William H. Gove69. He married (1) MARY SHAW69 May 02, 1837 in Saugus, MA70,71. She died Abt. 184271. He married (2) LYDIA ESTES72 1843, daughter of WILLIAM ESTES and REBECCA CHASE. She was born February 09, 1819 in Lynn, MA73, and died May 17, 188374.
Child of ISAAC PINKHAM and MARY SHAW is:
72. i. FRANCES ELLEN9 PINKHAM, b. March 11, 1838; d. January 11, 1877, Bedford, MA.
Children of ISAAC PINKHAM and LYDIA ESTES are:
ii. CHARLES HACKER9 PINKHAM75,76, b. December 09, 1844, Lynn MA77; d. November 10, 190078; m. JENNIE BARKER79,80, September 11, 1878; b. September 27, 1856, Lynn MA80; d. December 05, 193380.
iii. DANIEL ROGERS PINKHAM81, b. 184782; d. 1848.
iv. DANIEL ROGERS PINKHAM82, b. November 19, 184882; d. October 12, 188182.
v. WILLIAM HENRY PINKHAM82, b. December 30, 185282; d. December 03, 1881, Los Angeles CA; m. EMMA FRANCES BARRY82, December 07, 188082; d. April 22, 188282.
73. vi. AROLINE CHASE PINKHAM, b. June 17, 1857, Bedford MA; d. Aft. 1908.
61. NICHOLAS8 PINKHAM (JOSEPH7, PAUL6, OTIS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)82 was born March 15, 178982, and died December 03, 1818 in Dover NH. He married ELIZABETH AUSTIN82 February 02, 181482. She died in North Berwick ME.
Children of NICHOLAS PINKHAM and ELIZABETH AUSTIN are:
74. i. NICHOLAS ALPHONSO9 PINKHAM, b. April 12, 1815, Dover, NH; d. April 07, 1902.
ii. ELIZABETH ANN PINKHAM82, b. August 27, 181782; d. November 11, 189682; m. DANIEL HANSON82.
62. REBECCA8 PINKHAM (JOSEPH7, PAUL6, OTIS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)82 was born 180982, and died 183482. She married JACOB H. PURINTON82.
Children of REBECCA PINKHAM and JACOB PURINTON are:
i. MARY E.9 PURINTON82.
ii. SARAH A. PURINTON82.
63. TIMOTHY ROBINSON8 PINKHAM (EDWARD (EDMUND)7, JOHN6, OTIS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)82 was born November 28, 1801 in Dover NH, and died February 27, 1882 in Casco ME. He married LYDIA COOK82 December 02, 183083,84, daughter of NATHAN COOK and POLLY MAXFIELD. She was born March 01, 1801 in Raymond ME, and died February 04, 1870 in Casco ME.
Children of TIMOTHY PINKHAM and LYDIA COOK are:
i. LOUISA S.9 PINKHAM84, b. February 22, 1832, Raymond, ME85,86,87; d. March 29, 1854, Casco, ME88,89,90; m. ANDREW D. MAXFIELD; b. November 17, 182691,92; d. June 10, 190493,94.
ii. ANN SYLVESTER PINKHAM94, b. November 30, 1834, Casco ME95,96; d. October 24, 1836, Casco ME97,98.
75. iii. MARY ANN PINKHAM, b. April 15, 1837, Raymond, ME; d. November 13, 1880.
76. iv. WATSON COOK PINKHAM, b. February 07, 1839, Raymond ME; d. July 24, 1913.
v. HENRIETTA COOK PINKHAM, b. 1842; d. September 24, 1843, Casco ME.
65. ELIJAH8 PINKHAM (EDWARD (EDMUND)7, JOHN6, OTIS5, MARTHA/ROSE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)98 was born June 22, 181199,100, and died May 01, 1851 in Lewiston ME. He married ELIZABETH H. COOK100 September 1838 in Harrison ME, daughter of NATHAN COOK and POLLY MAXFIELD. She was born June 28, 1806 in Raymond ME, and died March 29, 1889 in Harrison ME.
Children of ELIJAH PINKHAM and ELIZABETH COOK are:
i. ABBIE9 PINKHAM, b. February 04, 1841; d. November 05, 1862, Lewiston ME.
ii. NATHAN COOK PINKHAM, b. September 24, 1845.
67. WILLIAM SPOFFARD8 BAKER (SAMUEL WALLINGFORD7, EBENEZER6, OTIS5, CHRISTINE4 OTIS, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1823. He married MARY THOMPSON.
Child of WILLIAM BAKER and MARY THOMPSON is:
i. SHARRINGTON9 BAKER.
68. ABIGAIL8 SWIFT (ELIZABETH7 BOURNE, MERCY6 HINCKLEY, MARY5 GORHAM, MARY4 OTIS, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1757, and died 1811. She married ZEBULON HASKELL. He was born 1747, and died 1820.
Child of ABIGAIL SWIFT and ZEBULON HASKELL is:
i. ABIAH9 HASKELL, b. 1779; d. 1853; m. DEA. ISAAC THOMPSON, 1808; b. 1781; d. 1835.
69. HARRISON F.8 OTIS (HARRIS7, EPHRAIM6, EPHRAIM5, JOB4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1)101 was born 1816, and died 1861. He married (1) ELIZABETH H. HAVILAND. She was born 1817 in Queensbury NY, and died 1841. He married (2) PAULINA LAPHAM.
Notes for HARRISON F. OTIS: (Probably a grandson of man listed here as his father) He was a farmer of fine taste and habits, and as a scholar and gentleman he had few superiors. He was a man of great natural talent and shrewdness, and possessing sound and discriminating judgment and determined will, was well calculated to be the leader in all matters in which he participated. In all the political affairs of the town he bore a conspicuous part, and was honored with numerous town offices. He was a member of the board of selectment two years; lister six years; town representative in 1849; town agent in 1852; and a justice of the peace five years, during which he performed his duties with zeal and possessed the utmost confidence of his townspeople. He was a true American in sentiment, and a thorough patriot, being chivalrous and high toned, frank, manly and dignified, and yet studiously courteous. He left behind him many evidences of his energy and usefulness, as well as high moral and social qualities. He was a man of great activity and enterprise, of exemplary moral character, honorable and upright in the performance of his duties, both as a public and private citizen, and was a man of pleasing and insinuating address. But few men in town have wielded greater political influence or been more successful in their plans. In 1855 he sold his farm and removed to Manchester, Vt., where he remained until the spring of 1860 when he removed to Topeka, Kansas. He at once took up a leading position and soon became Mayor of Topeka. His excellent business habits, sound judgment and ability gained for him the respect and esteem of all with whom he associated. He died at Topeka in 1861, aged 45, caused by falling from the stairway of a building.
Children of HARRISON OTIS and PAULINA LAPHAM are:70. MARY ANNE9 ESTES (MARY ANN8 VARNEY, NICHOLAS7, EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born December 07, 1824 in China ME, and died August 08, 1901 in Casco, Cumberland ME. She married JOSEPH MAXFIELD February 27, 1845 in China, Maine, son of JOSIAH MAXFIELD and NANCY PARTRIDGE. He was born April 28, 1812 in Raymond ME102,103, and died October 22, 1876 in Casco ME.
i. JOHN G.9 OTIS.
ii. WILLIAM H. OTIS.
iii. SAMANTHA V. OTIS.
iv. MARGARET OTIS.
v. LYDIA OTIS.
vi. LAWRENCE OTIS.
vii. EDWARD OTIS.
Generation No. 9
Children of MARY ESTES and JOSEPH MAXFIELD are:
78. i. JESSE STANLEY10 MAXFIELD, b. May 05, 1846, Vassalboro, Maine; d. April 25, 1914, Quillayute Prarie, Washington.
ii. CYRUS MAXFIELD, b. December 13, 1847, Casco ME; d. 1855, Vassalboro ME.
iii. LOUISA ROWE MAXFIELD, b. September 20, 1849; d. 1872.
79. iv. CYRUS ESTES MAXFIELD, b. July 04, 1855, Vassalboro, Kennebec, ME; d. October 23, 1923, Seattle, King, WA.
80. v. HATTIE SYBIL MAXFIELD, b. Abt. 1856; d. 1929, Hollywood, California.
81. vi. CHARLES ANDREW MAXFIELD, b. February 11, 1858, Vassalboro, Kennebec ME; d. May 28, 1943, Portland, Cumberland ME.
82. vii. HERBERT NORTON MAXFIELD, b. July 29, 1860, Vassalboro, Kennebec ME; d. May 01, 1941.
Generation No. 10
78. JESSE STANLEY10 MAXFIELD (MARY ANNE9 ESTES, MARY ANN8 VARNEY, NICHOLAS7, EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born May 05, 1846 in Vassalboro, Maine, and died April 25, 1914 in Quillayute Prarie, Washington. He married ABIGAIL EXPERIENCE PULLEN January 01, 1869 in China, Maine, daughter of DANIEL PULLEN and MARY DUDLEY. She was born May 11, 1845, and died November 16, 1926 in Quillayute Prarie, Washington.
Children of JESSE MAXFIELD and ABIGAIL PULLEN are:79. CYRUS ESTES10 MAXFIELD (MARY ANNE9 ESTES, MARY ANN8 VARNEY, NICHOLAS7, EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born July 04, 1855 in Vassalboro, Kennebec, ME, and died October 23, 1923 in Seattle, King, WA. He married FRANCES JULIA FOWLER May 09, 1880 in Watertown, WI138, daughter of ALFRED FOWLER and BARBARA. She was born August 28, 1860 in Calumet, WI, and died June 10, 1953 in Seattle WA139.
89. i. LILLIAN EXPERIENCE11 MAXFIELD, b. October 05, 1869; d. 1922, Ridgeway South Carolina.
90. ii. RAPHAEL MAXFIELD, b. September 03, 1873; d. March 28, 1938, Ranch at LaPush, Washington.
iii. CHARLES WILLIS MAXFIELD, b. 1874; d. 1874, Dead Injun OR.
iv. CLEEVE DUDLEY MAXFIELD, b. June 15, 1875; d. September 10, 1922, Forks Washington.
v. HARRY ESTES MAXFIELD, b. March 18, 1877; d. February 25, 1955, Quillayute Prarie WA.
91. vi. CASPER ARTHUR MAXFIELD, b. May 30, 1879, Quillayute Prairie, WA; d. February 25, 1936, Lake Crescent, Washington.
vii. ANNA MARY MAXFIELD, b. May 05, 1881, Quillayute Prairie, WA; d. June 26, 1940.
92. viii. SARAH PULLEN MAXFIELD, b. November 10, 1885; d. August 1933.
ix. JAMES G. BLAINE MAXFIELD, b. September 23, 1887; d. September 1914.
Children of CYRUS MAXFIELD and FRANCES FOWLER are:
93. i. HERBERT FOWLER11 MAXFIELD, b. October 26, 1881, Milwaukee WI; d. June 17, 1961, Seattle WA.
ii. CHARLES ESTES MAXFIELD, b. May 10, 1886, St. Paul, MN; d. August 1888, St. Paul, MN.
94. iii. MAY ANNE MAXFIELD, b. February 08, 1890, St. Paul, MN; d. December 1967, Youngtown, AZ.
80. HATTIE SYBIL10 MAXFIELD (MARY ANNE9 ESTES, MARY ANN8 VARNEY, NICHOLAS7, EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1856, and died 1929 in Hollywood, California. She married ELIAS LEANDER BAKER September 03, 1887 in Deering, Cumberland County, ME, son of BENJAMIN BAKER and HANNAH BAKER. He was born December 02, 1855.
Child of HATTIE MAXFIELD and ELIAS BAKER is:
95. i. HAROLD UNDERWOOD11 BAKER, b. February 13, 1890, Portland, Cumberland County, ME; d. March 26, 1978, Pasadena CA.
81. CHARLES ANDREW10 MAXFIELD (MARY ANNE9 ESTES, MARY ANN8 VARNEY, NICHOLAS7, EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born February 11, 1858 in Vassalboro, Kennebec ME, and died May 28, 1943 in Portland, Cumberland ME. He married (1) JOSEPHINE GERTRUDE KNIGHT March 11, 1897 in Portland, Cumberland ME, daughter of ERASTUS KNIGHT and CAROLINE BRADFORD. She was born September 05, 1865 in Westbrook, ME, and died February 07, 1908 in Portland, Cumberland County, ME. He married (2) A. MAUDE POLLACK December 15, 1920 in Portland ME, daughter of FRED POLLACK and JENIE LEGROW.
Children of CHARLES MAXFIELD and JOSEPHINE KNIGHT are:
96. i. CHARLES LAWRENCE11 MAXFIELD, b. March 07, 1898, Woodfords, Portland, Cumberland ME; d. October 28, 1979, Cumberland ME.
97. ii. HAROLD KNIGHT MAXFIELD, b. September 26, 1899, Woodfords, Portland, Cumberland ME; d. February 01, 1952.
iii. BABY MAXFIELD, b. February 21, 1901, Woodfords, Portland, Cumberland ME; d. February 27, 1901, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
iv. MARJORIE BRADFORD MAXFIELD, b. August 07, 1905, Woodfords, Portland, Cumberland ME; d. September 01, 1997, Paris, Cumberland, ME; m. WILLIAM B. SMITH, December 02, 1932, Elkton, MD; d. 1960.
82. HERBERT NORTON10 MAXFIELD (MARY ANNE9 ESTES, MARY ANN8 VARNEY, NICHOLAS7, EBENEZER6, MARY5 OTIS, STEPHEN4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born July 29, 1860 in Vassalboro, Kennebec ME, and died May 01, 1941. He married ELLA FRANCIS STEVENS February 18, 1890. She was born Abt. 1861.
Children of HERBERT MAXFIELD and ELLA STEVENS are:
i. LOUISA AUGUSTA11 MAXFIELD, b. November 11, 1890; m. EDWARD L. COBB, June 15, 1920, Maine; b. April 13, 1888, Portland ME; d. October 1963, Portland ME.
98. ii. HERBERT NORTON MAXFIELD, JR., b. 1892; d. 1969.
Home Akers Maxfield Riley Foster Smith Brothertown Indians Fowler Estes Varney Wescott Gifford Coggeshall Otis Livingston Abell Cousins Royalty Maxfield photos Hyde Partridge Tuttle Carr Strong King Davies Patterson