JAMES P. SNYDER
PBS DTV Strategic Services Group
8/00 - present
· Serving as digital television consultant assisting PBS member stations in the transition from analog to digital transmission and signal origination; plus teaching the DTV Studio Technology Seminar, covering all aspects of the digital transition in studio production, signal distribution, MPEG video compression, Dolby Digital audio compression, PSIP, MPEG-2 transport bitstreams, transition scenarios and production technologies.
Consumer Electronics Association demo before the House Telecommunications Subcommittee
· Served as coordinator for the staging and demonstration of consumer HDTV and DTV equipment from Zenith Corporation and Thompson Consumer Electronics. The Subcommittee hearing was to asses the status of the U.S. digtial television transition.
Caribiner International: News Corporation New Media Workshop (May 16, 2000)
· Served as the Technology Director for News Corporations New Media Workshop, an analysts and investors meeting held at the Metropolitan Pavilion in New York City on May 16, 2000. Duties included all of the coordination, transportation and installation of News Corporations new media assets of the TV Guide Interactive, TV Guide Online, TV Gaming Network, BskyBs Open . digital satellite system, NDS MediaStorm, XTV and Value@TV platforms; SmartSourceiGroups SmartSource.com and SmartCard systems; News Digital Medias Interactive Television demo and narrow and broadband webites; News Interactive (Australia)s websites; and News Network (UK)s FiredUp.com auction site. Designed build, and managed a complete 10/100baseT network with 3 webservers and T1 & ISDN internet gateways.
ABC Radio Network Washington Bureau
Serving in various engineering and production capacities for the Washington, DC news bureau of the ABC Radio Networks. Experience included WAND engineering and transmission, coverage of various political and cultural events of a newsworthy nature on Capitol Hill, the White House, the State Department, the Committee on the Year 2000, the National Press Club and many other events.
FedNet (Federal Network, Inc.)
Served as Director of Engineering and as design and construction engineer for the launch phase of FedNets Master Control and encoding systems. The facility was designed for news coverage with both traditional tape archiving, plus the ability to run 4 simultaneous video streams for internet streaming, 2 audio streams via full-time ISDN, and 2 streams via dialup POTS connections.
Advanced Television Technology Center Alexandria, VA
Served as Quality Control engineer for the initial testing of the USA Digital Radios In-Band, On-Channel (IBOC) digital radio transmission system. Duties included learning the computer testing system for the grading of audio signals both pre-and post-testing.
Harris/PBS DTV Express
· Served as DTV Engineering Specialist and Seminar Instructor for the Harris/PBS DTV Express. Duties included installation, maintenance, configuration and troubleshooting with state-of-the-art DTV and HDTV production, compression, routing, recording test and presentation equipment in the fully functional DTV station environment of the DTV Express truck. Experience included the installation and configuration of digital disk recorders, ATSC compliant compression, transmission and recording equipment, testing procedures involving the 8-VSB transmission standard, reception and decoding of DTV & HDTV transmissions via satellite from PBS and Unity Motion, Dolby AC-3 audio encoding/decoding equipment, generation and distribution of 6-channel audio for AC-3 encoding, full-bandwidth SDI and HD-SDI signal origination, routing and recording equipment. Served as Seminar Instructor for the Studio Seminar on Encoding, Bitstreams, PSIPs, datacasting, DTV scenarios and 16:9/4:3 production issues seminars held for industry professionals at each of the DTV Express stops.
Turner Engineering / Unity Motion
2/98 - 12/98
· Various digital television projects, primarily supervising the construction and management of the Unity Motion High Definition Distribution System uplink at the Washington International Teleport (now ATC Teleports Washington) in Alexandria, Virginia. Responsibility for staffing, equipment maintenance, installation and management, and assistance with Washington, DC metro area demos of the Unity Motion system. Supervised HDTV reception of the John Glenn Space Shuttle Launch at the National Air & Space Museum.
Fox News Washington Bureau
11/96 - 2/98
· Maintenance and construction engineer for startup network news facility. Extensive experience with digital VTRs, cameras, switchers, SDI & analog routers, linear and non-linear edit suites.
· Supervising engineer for Fox News Sunday responsible for all engineering functions including satellite feed coordination and troubleshooting and responsibility for all engineering aspects of a multinational live public affairs program on the Fox Television Network.
Reuters Television - International Broadcast Centre, Washington, DC
· Various technical duties, including satellite signal tuning & coordination; router maintenance; coordination for the routing and QC of signals via Bell Atlantic AVOC, WIT, Brightstar, VYVX and various other signal carriers.
· A/B roll editing with Betacam SP VTRs.
· Consulting on engineering projects and maintenance problems.
PBS Advanced Television Field Test Project
· Coordinated the operations of the PBS Advanced Televsion Field Test truck containing the Grand Alliance digital HDTV reception system at various demonstration sites in the Washington, DC area.
· Supervised the transportation and setup of HDTV reception equipment for demonstrations to various industry groups including the SMPTE at WUSA-TV, the PBS Fall 1995 Affiliates meeting, and the FCC en banc meeting on Advanced Television Service. This was the first practical demonstration of over-the-air HDTV transmissions under real-world conditions.
Advanced Television Test Center, Inc.
2/95 - 1/96
· Served as HDTV and NTSC video editor and master control technician for the test center responsible for testing all proposed U. S. high definition television standards. Prepared and tested images and multi-channel digital audio with Sony digital high definition video tape recorders, Pixar high definition image generator, and wide range of state-of-the-art high definition imaging equipment. Also prepared NTSC materials for testing, and QC'd all test materials before approved for use in testing. QC'd all materials coming out of proposed systems for quality and artifacts. After Grand Alliance HDTV testing was completed, edited video tapes showing wide range of video and audio impairments for use in materials presented to the FCC's Advisory Committee on Advanced Television Systems. Worked with both Mac-based computer and stand-alone Sony edit controllers. Co-managed test materials video tape database. Worked with Sony HDD-1000 Digital HDVS VTRs, BTS HDTV camera, HD-modified D3, standard NTSC D2 and wide variety of custom HD and NTSC video and audio test signal generators.
Discovery Communications Inc.
· Originated position as coordinator of International Program Sales and stock footage coordinator, Discovery Enterprises Worldwide. Duties included maintaining database of program master tapes in circulation worldwide; liaison with various production entities within Discovery on new programs being added to International sales catalog; liaison with dub and post houses responsible for production of international program masters; primary customer service representative for Discovery's stock footage library. Edited several projects for use within Discovery on D2, Betacam SP and 1" Type C.
Freelance Editor / Operations Technician / Television Production Technician
3/91 to present
· Wide variety of assignments including studio and field camera work, directing, technical directing, audio directing, floor direction, editor (cuts-only, A/B roll, Avid nonlinear), etc. Clients have included Turner Engineering, Sarnoff Labs, VisNews/Reuters Television, George Washington University Television, Johns Hopkins University, the National Air & Space Museum, the U. S. Departments of Agriculture, Justice and Transportation, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Federal Communications Commission.
The American University
9/90 to 5/98
· Contract Chief Engineer of educational TV and radio production & training facilities. Designed and built television, satellite, and fiberlink master control center. Designed fiber optic-based 1Ghz cable television system with analog and digital satellite reception capabilities. Supervised ongoing training of staff and students in studio production and engineering techniques.
WRGW Radio & Television
10/82 to 7/87
· Chief Engineer/Managing Director. Supervised the transfer of control of stations within University from academic unit to independent operating unit. Design, funding, and construction of studios, offices and transmission facilities at new facility. Managed and directed all day-to-day operations of the station after transfer of control.
WIPB Channel 49, Muncie, Indiana &
February 1980 to August 1986
WBST-FM 92.1, Muncie, Indiana
May 1982 to September 1983
· Various technical functions including field and studio camera work, editing, and master control operations for PBS affiliate.
· Engineering, master control, satellite coordination, direction and production of live programming; news producer & anchor for NPR-affiliated radio station.
Motion Picture Projectionist
August 1974 to present
· Worked both as freelance and on-call projectionist for wide variety of organizations. Experienced in 35mm, 16mm, 8mm and limited 70mm projection; Dolby 4-track, 6-track and SR-D, Kintek, DTS (Digital Theatre Sound) and Ultra-stereo sound systems; Simplex, Century, Norelco projectors and automation systems.
The American University, Washington, DC:
B.A., Communications, 1993 (School of Communication);
B.A., Communications, Legal Institutions, Economics & Government, 1993 (School of Public Affairs)
Northern Virginia Community College , certificate in AM Broadcast Technologies.
Additional course work completed at The George Washington University and The Ohio State University.
Audio Engineering Society (AES)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)
Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE)