Building the bubble headed booby
Leg building
Home
Site updates
B9 Thus far
Za Radar Section
Fun in the Tub
Claws!
tread boxes
Styrene fun
Texture and paint
Making tread Belts
Wheels and axles
Knee building
Leg building
Brains,, Brains!
Electronics
Powerpack
Other great B9 folks

b9buildinglogo2.gif

My adventures in the land of pipe insulation

legs1.gif

All the wood cut for the legs out of nice plywood. The waist plate is MDF. I used my jig saw plus my Rotozip. I traced the patterns from Mark Thompson's plans and used a glue stick to adhere them to the wood. It easily sands off after you cut. This took me about 6 hours.

legs3.gif

I Clamped all four corners to get the legs level then drilled
four 3/8" holes for the 3/8 threaded rod I will be using for the top of the leg section.

legs8.gif

Heres the final stack-up, you can see the piece of oak that fits over the threaded rod to lock down the top section to the bottom. I did this so I can easily break down the robot.

legs2.gif

legs5.gif

I used a similair method for the two legs. Note I added two threaded rods near the center to attach the top leg portion.

legs7.gif

Finished with paint. I used Plastikotes grey bumper spray it's a good match and is a arylic resin so it remains flexible. I forgot to take photos of gluing the insulation to the frames.( I was to busy cursing!) what a pain in the butt. I used liquid nails but if I did it over I would use Goop.

Now all I need is my side panels to arrive. 3-27-04