Christian Schneider (1695 - ?)
The large and prolific Snyder family in America is well documented by the Snyder Family Association as tracing back to Christian Schneider, who arrived from Germany in October 1727.
Christian Schneider (Snyder) was one of many refugees from the Palatine (Bavaria), Germany. In the Pennsylvania archives' passengers lists we find that Christian came to America aboard the ship William and Sarah, Captain William Hill, which left Rotterdam, Holland, 18 Sep 1727 and arrived Philadelphia 16 October 1727. The passenger list includes the following Snyders: Christian, Jacob, Martin, Mathias, Madeline and Susannah. Madeline was his wife, and Jacob, Martin and Mattias were probably his brothers. Christian was about 32 years old.
Following their arrival and processing, Christian and his wife Madeline joined thousands of German refugees who settled in northwest New Jersey, about ninety miles north of Philadelphia. They settled near Paulins Creek, Knowlton Township, Warren County (then a part of Sussex County).
Their children, all born in New Jersey were:
Elizabeth Snyder 1731-? George Snyder 1733-? Christian Snyder 1735-? Peter Snyder 1737-? Adam Snyder 1740-1826 m. Ann Freas William Snyder 1742-? Henry Snyder Eva Snyder Catherine Snyder Ann Snyder Christiana Snyder
Adam Snyder (1739 - 1826)
Ann Freas (1740 - 1807)
In the latter part of August, 1793, Adam and his wife Ann Freas with their family of eight left for Canada. They were six weeks on the road, covering about five hundred miles through the wilderness. The roads were only Indian trails between settlements. The women and children rode the horses and on wagons. The men walked, and drove the cattle and sheep.
Upon their arrival in Canada, the family settled in the northern part of Gainesborough Township, Lincoln County, (lot 23 in the sixth concession) on The Twenty, or Jordan Creek.
In 1794, he built a saw mill and a grist mill on the Twenty mile creek, and the community became known as Snyder's Mills.
Shortly thereafter, the name of the settlement was changed to St. Ann's. Family legend states that Ann befriended the Indians who came to her door, and was so good to them that they looked upon her as a saint and named the Snyder place St. Ann's.
Their children established homes to the east of the homestead, lot after lot.
Ann died 1807, followed by Adam in 1826. Both are buried in St. Ann's churchyard.
Their eight children were:
Mary Snyder 1767-1830 m. William Mingle William Snyder 1768-1850 m. Elizabeth Lindaberry Elizabeth Snyder 1771-1845 John Snyder 1776-1846 m. Christina Dills Henry Snyder 1778-1850 m. Mary Dean Joseph Snyder 1780-1866 m. Elizabeth Dean Peter Snyder 1783-1868 m. Ann Book Abigail Snyder
Henry Snyder (1778 - 1850)
Mary Dean (1782 - 1864)
Henry Snyder homesteaded Lot 18 Concession VI in Gainsborough Township, close to his parents.
Henry and Mary had eleven children, all born in St. Ann's:
John Snyder m. Lydia Truphant Margaret Snyder 1815-1896 m. Ephraim Singer Andrew Snyder m. Emily Truphant Jacob Snyder m. Mary Zimmerman Eli Snyder m. Matilda Hemstreet Henry Snyder m. Martha McPherson Rachel Snyder m. John Wardell Leah Snyder m. Jacob Rott Barbara Snyder m. Isaac Book Mary Snyder m. Samuel Comfort Elizabeth Snyder m. William Martin
Margaret Snyder (1815 - 1896)
Ephraim Singer (1814 - 1867)
Information on this family is found in the SINGER section of this book.
Thank you for visiting our family history.
You can click here to go back to the top of this family page.
Comments are welcome, and any additions or corrections are especially appreciated.
You can reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org