I have attempted to answer the most common questions that appear on the bulletin boards that deal with hiking and peakbagging in Northern New England (Maine, new Hampshire and Vermont). If you have suggestions for further questions please post them on the site's Peakbagging Forum.
Unless mentioned explicitly, information here applies to the normal hiking season, which extends roughly from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. Conditions in winter, and in the potentially equally dangerous late fall and early spring, are very different and require a completely different approach. Late spring is Mud Season, when there is a mixture of mud at lower elevations and melting snow at higher elevations, it leads to unpleasant hiking and to damaging erosion of trails.
- Where can I get official information about the Four Thousand Footer Club?
- What are the rules for climbing 4000 footers?
- How do I apply for a membership?
- When is the Awards Dinner?
- Where can I find the lists?
- What are the recent changes to the lists?
- Do all the 4,000 Footers have trails to them?
- How do I get to Redington (Maine)?
- Where can I find information on the trail-less peaks on the Hundred Highest list?
- Can I use a mountain bike while bagging a peak?
- What is book time?
- What can book time tell me? Or, to be blunter, is it of any use?
- How difficult is this trip?
- What are some of the easier Fours?
- What are some of the harder Fours?
- What are some moderate Fours with great views?
To enliven the Q&A on Presi Traverses I am including a report on my 2001 Presi Traverse Attempt.
- What is a Presi Traverse?
- How long is a Presi Traverse?
- Where can I get water and food during a Presi Traverse?
- How long will it take to do a Presi Traverse?
- How do I prepare for a Presi Traverse?
- Logistics of a Presi Traverse?
- When do people do a Presi Traverse?
- What is a moonlight Presi Traverse?
- What are some other big hikes (Death Marches)?
- What are the biggest hikes that can be done?
These questions do not fit into broader topics, they may be moved when a more suitable home for them is found.
- Where can I find the GPS coordinates of the NE Hundred Highest summits?
- Where can I find information about roadside campgrounds?
- Where can I find information about lodging and dining?
- Can I get around the mountains without a car?
- At what time does the sun rise and set?
- When Does Daylight Savings Time Begin and End?
- When do the Forest Service Roads (such as Tripoli Road and the Gale River Loop) close for the winter and reopen in the spring