Historical Highlights of Troop 241
Troop 1: The Beginning
On March 23, 1920 Troop 1, the forerunner of Troop 241, was chartered with 17 boys on the roster. The sponsoring institution was the First Methodist Episcopal Church with the Rev. H. W. Lewis as pastor. The Scoutmaster was James A. Fenn, great uncle of previous McFarlin Methodist Church pastor, Phil Fenn.
At that time four other troops were also organized in Norman, with one of them being sponsored by the Methodist Episcopal Church South where Rev. L. L. Broome was pastor and Eugene L. Faulkner was Scoutmaster.
In August of 1920 about 60 Scouts from all the troops in Norman participated in a week-long camp in the Arbuckle Mountains. The trip included pushing the heavy-loaded truck up hills, through dust ruts, over flimsy bridges, and required a night out between Wynnewood and Davis before arriving at the campsite. It was a great week of cave exploring, swimming, playing ball with Shawnee Scouts, and the return was made by truck and the Sante Fe train.
Service projects of the early troop included trying to find a lost child, raid on bag worms, directing new OU students to their rooms, selling tuberculosis stamps, putting "Go to Church Sunday" signs on autos, and building a bridge across the stream near the Baptist Assembly Grounds.
On December 7, 1924 the dedication services for the new McFarlin Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, South were held. Eventually the two Methodist congregations were merged, as well as the two Boy Scout troops. They maintained the designation of Troop 1, and the McFarlin Church became the official chartering sponsor.
Troop 41: The Years Go By
On March 27, 1927 this troop (and probably all others in Norman) became affiliated with the Canadian Valley Council headquartered in Shawnee. This was not a radical change, since the local scout executive had been conducting official national business through the Shawnee office already. All the numbers in Norman were reassigned in the forty series, with the McFarlin Troop becoming Troop 41.
Troop 241: More Changes
Membership in the Canadian Valley Council prevailed until 1937, when, largely due to the effects of the great depression of the thirties, Cleveland and McClain counties united to form the Sooner District of the Last Frontier Council, with headquarters in Oklahoma City. This again caused a renumbering of troops in the area, and Troop 41 became Troop 241.
The 50th Anniversary
This troop celebrated their Golden Anniversary with the official presentation of the 50th-year charter by a council representative at the pot-luck dinner and Eagle Court of Honor for Gary Blachly and Bob Hanson on May 3, 1970 in Meyer Hall. According to Mrs. Menzie, chairwoman of the event, it was a wonderful celebration with 300 in attendance. The troop had 46 boys registered at that time. The Scoutmaster was William Fields and the Troop Committee Chairman was Donald Menzie, Sr.
A special 50th anniversary service project, using official records of Last Frontier Council, was to develop a list of all past Scoutmasters and Eagle Scouts with this troop. The names were placed on permanent Honor Scrolls, made most likely by troop dads and/or Scouts. Several years later, the scrolls were hung in Meyer Hall and names continued to be added to them. According to the anniversary program the original flag of Troop 41 (retired in 1937) was to be hung with the scrolls.
At the time of the 50th anniversary McFarlin Memorial United Methodist Church sponsored all three levels of scouting with a Cub Pack and Explorer Post, in addition to the Scout Troop.
The recent years
Some time after 1977 the Explorer Post sponsored by the church disbanded.
In 1991 Troop 789 of the First Baptist Church merged with Troop 241, bringing some "new blood" into the group. The merger helped at a time when "people power" was needed in both Scouts and more adults willing to work with the troop.