It seems that everywhere I look today someone is pitching a product or service that will be
"the solution" to Global Warming. Sometimes I want to ignore my social consciousness and forget the problems that we
all have contributed to. It all seems too much for me sometimes. Then I read about:
- Sheryl Crowe and her "Stop Global Warming" College Tour in her bio-diesel bus.
- Australia's shift to energy-saving light bulbs, phasing out incandescent bulbs by 2010. California
has suggested this but legislation has not been enacted yet!
These are steps in the right direction. So, I take a deep breath, knowing that I do some things
right! For example:
- Composting scraps from the kitchen. Giving back
to the earth some of what I took out. (Keeps out of landfills too!)
- Re-cycling paper, glass, and plastic products.
- Re-using my own cloth grocery bags and recycling
old paper bags to carry organic food home from the market.
- Taking "Electronic" waste to the Special collection
- Properly disposing of special materials, such
as old paints, thinners and their empty cans, too.
- Buying energy efficient appliances.
- Keeping my thermostat at 68 degrees in the winter.
I put on a sweater and think about that great "English Complexion" that I am encouraging.
- Writing my Senators and Representatives
in Congress, to say "No" to old, dirty technology.
My next step is to buy an even more energy-efficient car. The latest news was that the most energy-efficient car isn't a
hybrid. So, when it is time, I plan to do research and not be fooled by advertising "hype." Meanwhile, I plan
my trips so that as a wise consumer, I help save the planet and money too.
Please write and let us
know what you are doing to help stop Global Warming. Any small step. Anything at all.
Write me: firstname.lastname@example.org