Short Generation # 6
1. Thankful Short; b. circa 1802 in
Mercer Co., Kentucky; m. John Lewis; d. after May 1880.
John Lewis was born circa 1780 in Tennessee.
Children of Thankful Short and John Lewis were as follows:
- 2 i. Sarah Lewis; b. circa 1818; m. (-?-)
- 3 ii. James Lewis; b. circa 1820.
- + 4 iii. Lydia Lewis, b. circa 1822 in
Missouri; m. James Samuel Boyce; m. John O. Jarrett.
- + 5 iv. William Lewis, b. circa 1824; m.
- 6 v. Samuel Lewis; b. circa 1827.
- 7 vi. John Lewis; b. circa 1830; m. Lydia Boyce.
- 8 vii. Joseph Lewis; b. circa 1831 in MIssouri; m.
Mary Jane Bugg 28 May 1861 in Dent Co., MIssouri.
- 9 viii. Josiah Lewis; b. circa 1833 in MIssouri.
- + 10 ix. Henry Lewis, b. circa 1835 in
Missouri; m. Lucinda Jane Welch.
- + 11 x. Thankful Lewis, b. circa 1836;
m. Alexander Boyce.
- + 12 xi. Jesse Lewis, b. circa 1838 in
Missouri; m. Sarah Bugg.
- 13 xii. Elijah Lewis; b. circa 1843; he was killed
during the Civil War.
Short Generation # 5
4. Lydia Lewis; b. circa 1822 in
Missouri; m. James Samuel Boyce, son of James Boyce; m. John O. Jarrett 1871 in
Dent Co, Missouri; d. 17 Oct 1873.
James Samuel Boyce was born on 29 May 1820 in Ripley Co., Indiana.
Children of Lydia Lewis and James Samuel Boyce all b. in Missouri were as
- 14 i. Sarah Boyce; b. circa 1842; m. Joe Shelton
circa 1858 in Dent Co, Missouri.
- 15 ii. William Boyce; b. 20 Aug 1846; d. 26 Dec 1863
in Dent Co, Missouri, at age 17 from shooting near Old East Schoolhouse.
- 16 iii. Thankful Boyce; b. 6 Apr 1848; m. Rufus
Holloman circa 1866 in Dent Co, Missouri.
- 17 iv. Mary Elizabeth Boyce; b. circa 1852; m.
Joseph Thomas Halbrook circa 1867 in Dent Co, Missouri.
- + 18 v. James A. Boyce, b. circa 1857;
m. Ithenia Isabell Lawson.
There were no children of Lydia Lewis and John O. Jarrett.
5. William Lewis; b. circa
1824; m. Mary Boyce, daughter of James Boyce, circa 1844.
Mary Boyce was born on 5 May 1825 in Indiana.
Children of William Lewis and Mary Boyce were as follows:
10. Henry Lewis; b. circa 1835
in Missouri; m. Lucinda Jane Welch 16 Mar 1859 in Dent Co., MIssouri.
- 19 i. Lydia Mary Lewis; m. George W. Willis.
- 20 ii. Samuel Lewis.
- 21 iii. Alexander Lewis; m. Mary S. Wofford.
- 22 iv. William James Lewis; m. Lois Summers.
- 23 v. Mary E. Lewis; m. Nathan Moffitt circa 1873 in
Dent Co., Missouri.
- + 24 vi. Trtogaba Emily Lewis, m. Samuel
- 25 vii. Jefferson D. Lewis; m. Martha A. Hodges 7
Aug 1881 by Rev E. B. Huff.
Lucinda Jane Welch was born circa 1841 in Kentucky.
Children of Henry Lewis and Lucinda Jane Welch all b. in Missouri were as
11. Thankful Lewis; b. circa
1836; m. Alexander Boyce, son of James Boyce, 11 Aug 1853 in Dent Co., MIssouri.
- 26 i. Jesse Lewis; b. circa 1861.
- 27 ii. Samuel Lewis; b. circa 1871.
- 28 iii. Thankful Lewis; b. circa 1874; m. Elias
Terrill 7 Sep 1893 in Dent Co., Missouri, by Rev. A. J. Shockley.
- 29 iv. Henry Lewis; b. circa 1877.
Alexander Boyce was born on 14 Oct 1828 in Indiana. He died circa 1864 in
Arkansas in Civil War.
Children of Thankful Lewis and Alexander Boyce were as follows:
12. Jesse Lewis; b. circa 1838
in Missouri; m. Sarah Bugg 18 Jul 1867 in Dent Co., MIssouri.
- 30 i. Mary Boyce; b. circa 1862 in Missouri; m.
John C. Daugherty 16 Oct 1881 in Dent Co., Missouri, by John W. Dulworth, JP.
- 31 ii. Josephine Boyce; b. 19 Nov 1864 in Arkansas;
m. Clement M. Dooley 16 Mar 1884 in Dent Co., Missouri, by John W. Dulworth, JP;
d. 14 May 1931 at age 66.
Sarah Bugg was born circa 1851 in Kentucky.
Children of Jesse Lewis and Sarah Bugg were as follows:
- 32 i. John Franklin Lewis; b. circa 1868 in
- 33 ii. Martha Lewis; b. 1869.
- 34 iii. Mary J. Lewis; b. 1872 in Missouri; m. (-?-)
- + 35 iv. Alvin Josiah Lewis, b. 11 Jan
1873 in Missouri; m. Ada Boyce; m. Katherine East.
- 36 v. Thankful Zinnia Lewis; b. circa 1876 in
Missouri; m. Ike Epstein; m. (-?-) Riley 18 Sep 1894 by Robert M. Simmons, J. P.
- 37 vi. Electa Lewis; b. 1876.
- 38 vii. James Jesse Lewis; b. circa 1880 in
- 39 viii. Lula Emma Lewis; b. 1884; m. James Prater.
Short Generation # 4
18. James A. Boyce; b. circa 1857 in
Missouri; m. Ithenia Isabell Lawson; d. Apr 1957.
Ithenia Isabell Lawson was born on 9 Oct 1860 in Tennessee. She died on 15 Jul
1942 at age 81.
Children of James A. Boyce and Ithenia Isabell Lawson were as follows:
24. Trtogaba Emily Lewis; m.
Samuel Green Hodges 7 Aug 1881 in Dent Co., Missouri, by Rev E. B. Huff.
- + 40 i. Ada Boyce, b. 12 Aug 1883;
m. Alvin Josiah Lewis.
- 41 ii. John J. Boyce.
- 42 iii. Minnie Olfielder Boyce; b. 21 Jul 1871; d.
23 Oct 1880 at age 9.
Children of Trtogaba Emily Lewis and Samuel Green Hodges were:
35. Alvin Josiah Lewis; b. 11
Jan 1873 in Missouri; m. Ada Boyce, daughter of James A. Boyce and Ithenia
Isabell Lawson, circa 1899; m. Katherine East 14 Mar 1915; d. 30 Oct 1924 at age
51; d. 30 Oct 1929 at age 56 of typhoid.
- 43 i. Ida Hodges; m. Jim Steelman.
Ada Boyce was born on 12 Aug 1883. She died on 18 Apr 1913 at age 29.
Children of Alvin Josiah Lewis and Ada Boyce were as follows:
- + 44 i. Myrna Ianthia Lewis, b.
1900; m. Willie Lee Jones.
- 45 ii. James Vernon Lewis; b. 1901; m. Ida Jones;
d. 1946 in Sullivan, Missouri, in an accident while getting off a bus.
- + 46 iii. Vera Arnie Lewis, b. 1903; m.
Katherine East married Eddie Welch circa 1933 in Rolla, Phelps Co., Missouri.
Children of Alvin Josiah Lewis and Katherine East were as follows:
- + 47 i. Arley Clark Lewis, b. 1917;
m. Cecile Petterson.
- 48 ii. Donna Maxine Lewis; b. 1925; m. Eldo Schafer.
- 49 iii. Alvin Joseph Lewis; d. in infancy.
Short Generation # 3
40. Ada Boyce; b. 12 Aug 1883; m. Alvin Josiah Lewis, son of Jesse Lewis and Sarah Bugg, circa 1899; d. 18 Apr 1913 at age 29.
Alvin Josiah Lewis was born on 11 Jan 1873 in Missouri. He married Katherine East on 14 Mar 1915. He died on 30 Oct 1924 at age 51. He died on 30 Oct 1929 at age 56.
Children of Ada Boyce and Alvin Josiah Lewis were as follows:
44. Myrna Ianthia Lewis; b. 1900; m. Willie Lee Jones; d. circa 1974.
- 50 i. Myrna Ianthia Lewis; b. 1900; m. Willie Lee Jones; d. circa 1974.
- 51 ii. James Vernon Lewis; b. 1901; m. Ida Jones; d. 1946 in Sullivan, Missouri.
- 52 iii. Vera Arnie Lewis; b. 1903; m. Jack Farris; d. in 1962.
Children of Myrna Ianthia Lewis and Willie Lee Jones were as follows:
46. Vera Arnie Lewis; b. 1903; m. Jack Farris; d. in 1962.
- 53 i. Wreatha Pauline Jones; m. (-?-) Kemp.
- 54 ii. Bonnie Isabelle Jones; m. (-?-) Derryberry.
Children of Vera Arnie Lewis and Jack Farris were as follows:
47. Arley Clark Lewis; b. 1917;
m. Cecile Petterson.
- 55 i. Jerdie Ianthia Farris; m. (-?-)
- 56 ii. Ida June Farris; m. (-?-) Click.
Children of Arley Clark Lewis and Cecile Petterson were as follows:
- 57 i. David Allan Lewis.
- 58 ii. Charlotte Lorraine Lewis.
Bibliography - Descendants of Thankful Short
Fiebelman, Ken, burial list and notes. Ozark Heritage Dent County Missouri Area Cemeteries & Families.
n.p.: n.pub., 1994.
Goodspeed.History of Missouri Illustrated 1889, History of Laclede, Camden,
Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, P. Greenville, S.C. (275 W. Broad St.,
Greenville 29601): Southern Historical Press, 1974, originally published by
Goodspeed Publishing Co., Chicago, IL in 1889.
Kentucky. Hopkins County. 1810 U.S. census. Micropublication M252, roll 6. Washington DC: National Archives.
Maryhelen Wilson, Lois Stanley, George F. Wilson and Missouri Taxpayer
1819-1826. n.p.: n.pub.
Missouri. Dent County. 1860 U.S. census. M653, roll 618. Washington DC:
Missouri. Dent County. 1870 U.S census, population schedule. M593, roll
774. Washington DC: National Archives.
Missouri. Dent County. 1880 U.S. census, population schedule. T9, roll 685.
Washington DC: National Archives.
Missouri. Dent County. Marriage Record of Dent Co., Mo. Book A 1851-1/870.
Missouri. Franklin County. Probate Court Records, 1848.
Ozark Heritage, Dent County, Missouri, Volume 1.
Salem, Missouri: Dent County Historical Society, 1978.
Researchers with Genealogical Interest in
3rd great grand-nephew via subject's brother, Eli Short....
Researching Lewis Family
The purpose of this list is to help researchers find other researchers with similar genealogical interests.
If you wish to be included in this listed, please send your name, email address and state your relationship with the subject or reason for your interest. A link to your website can also be provided.
Questions, comments, corrections and new information are welcome.
Doug Short .... firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Revised: March 11, 2003